Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2022 8:30:48 PM EDT
Decided to build a 10.3 or 10.5. Originally planning a 12.5, and probably will later, but after handling a 10.5 I decided to do that first. It be ran suppressed nearly all the time, so I don’t want anything overgassed. However, it would be a plus if it would run reliably on quality ammo if needed. Not trying to clone anything.

DD
Hodge
Triarc
Criterion
Andro
BA
BRT
Colt
Missing any? Any of the above? Whatever I can find?

Can anyone speak to any advantages one or more of the above might have?

Thanks.

ETA: A complete upper is an option also.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
G barrels coming out soonish I think.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 1:13:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I doubt it is even remotely possible to discern ANY legitimate difference in any performance metric, by any reasonable means, scientific or otherwise. We're talking about  TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH!

Between different BRANDS of barrels, possibly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 1:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt it is even remotely possible to discern ANY legitimate difference in any performance metric, by any reasonable means, scientific or otherwise. We're talking about  TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH!

Between different BRANDS of barrels, possibly.
View Quote

I don’t think the question was about 10.5 v 10.3, it sounded more like he was asking about gas port size of either length and good performance (not too overgassed) both while running suppressed and while running unsupresssd.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don’t think the question was about 10.5 v 10.3, it sounded more like he was asking about gas port size of either length and good performance (not too overgassed) both while running suppressed and while running unsupresssd.
View Quote

Yes. Don't care about .3 vs .5 as I'm not cloning anything. Just want a quality, properly gassed for suppressed use barrel that's shorter than an 11.5.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#5]
BA makes crane spec gas port chrome lined 10.3’s now.  I picked one up from a couple weeks ago for $144 and added the pinned gas block option for another +$40.

Honestly, a 10.3 is not a target barrel. It won’t be going be on a precision gun or a gun with an optic that can leverage the kind of distances you’d need to be at to practicably differentiate between a super premium option and just an alright option.  And at the distances where you’d start to be practicably benefitted by an ultra premium barrel’s precision, the terminal performance from that 10.3 sucks anyways.  

I’d keep the choice simpler; you want corrosion resistance (nitride) or outright toughness (CHF Chrome lined)?  Then find the cheapest from there. My choices would be PSA premium, BA Chrome Lined, BA Hanson, etc...

There’s some companies that offer custom sized reduced gas ports on their barrel though, if you truly want to run 100% suppressed.  Although I think restricting at the gas block or carrier makes 1000% more sense.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#6]
^^^^
Good points. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Lewis Machine and Tool
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything with the .070 gas port runs very well, suppressed or not. I have a DD, and it runs great with or without. Not gassy at all. Running a milspec bcg and Tubbs flat wire/H2 buffer.

Quality barrel, gas block and bcg should get you there. Don’t want a loose gas block or out of spec bcg and lose efficiency.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anything with the .070 gas port runs very well, suppressed or not. I have a DD, and it runs great with or without. Not gassy at all. Running a milspec bcg and Tubbs flat wire/H2 buffer.

Quality barrel, gas block and bcg should get you there. Don’t want a loose gas block or out of spec bcg and lose efficiency.
View Quote

I have an older Daniel Defense 10.3” barrel that I run with my Silencerco SPECWAR, and it is very overgassed. I finally had to install a Geissele Airborne Charging handle and a Bootleg Tactical Adjustable BCG and it finally tamed the gas in my eye.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Molon has a preview for the triarc. It's not a 10.x barrel but it looks really good so
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the all the recommendations.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not gucci tier but the Expo Arms 10.3" barrel is nice and cheap enough to buy a couple spares. Chrome lined, heavy profile, 0.070" gas port, dimpled for gas block, and 1/7 twist. My first one had a rough chamber and from looking at reviews I may be the only one to have ever gotten a bad one. Primary Arms took care of me - sent a shipping label and then a brand new barrel. New barrel is perfect. My can is still in jail but the 10.3" runs great with a standard carbine buffer and spring unsuppressed. I tried to run it with an LWRC UCIW stock but the spring was too stiff for it to fully cycle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 2:50:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I have used Daniel Defense, LMT, PSA(FN), and Ballistic Advantage.

The LMT didn't like weak ammo at first, but that worked its self out. I prefer Daniel Defense, but they are pricey. I try to find them used on the EE.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's not gucci tier but the Expo Arms 10.3" barrel is nice and cheap enough to buy a couple spares. Chrome lined, heavy profile, 0.070" gas port, dimpled for gas block, and 1/7 twist. My first one had a rough chamber and from looking at reviews I may be the only one to have ever gotten a bad one. Primary Arms took care of me - sent a shipping label and then a brand new barrel. New barrel is perfect. My can is still in jail but the 10.3" runs great with a standard carbine buffer and spring unsuppressed. I tried to run it with an LWRC UCIW stock but the spring was too stiff for it to fully cycle.
View Quote

I too had a bad one but mine was a very early barrel from a few years ago. The issue was the barrel extension. With them having a lifetime warranty. Primary arms took care of me and got me a replacement and the new barrel has been great.

I know a few others who have bought the same barrel recently and had no issues and things run great.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Suppressed and not concerned about clone building, then:

Expo Arms 10.3
or
Andro Corp crane spec 10.3

/thread
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Suppressed and not concerned about clone building, then:

Andro Corp crane spec 10.3

/thread
View Quote

This is the way…

All 4 of my SBR’s run this barrel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks again for the input. Purchase made.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both DD (adjust gas block) and Andro Crane spec (FSB) 10.3"  barrels.  Both run very well.  If it's still too much gas, consider a bootlet adj BCG.  I have a couple of those and a gemtech adj BCG and they do an excellent job of toning the gas down.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
There are some various FN 10.5" barrels.

The standard one offered by FN is not hammer forged and comes with a really small gas port, some say too small.

Then there are the contract FN 10.5" barrels.

Some have the very small FN gas port and are available hammer forged.

Some are ordered with the contract calling for a larger gas port.

There are several sellers of the regular FN version, including directly from FN.

Palmetto State Armory sells the hammer forged version and says they do not specify the gas port.

Note many people the standard 10.5" FN gas port is too small and is about the same as an M4 gas port (0.064"?).

The Colt and Daniel Defense come with a slightly larger gas port, that is still small, but functional.

The BA 10.3" usually comes with a 0.070", which seems slightly tighter / smaller than the Colt and DD (0.071"? / 0.072"?)

Some BA 10.3" barrels are ordered with large 0.0785" gas ports.

All BA 10.5" barrels have large 0.0785" gas ports.

The BA 10.3" Hanson gas port might be 0.073".

I worked on a project in the 1980's to get a 10.0" AR barrel reliable.

We ended up with a large gas port and a 9mm buffer.

Colt Canada has a reliable 10.0" barrel, with a small gas port and an H2 buffer.

The M4 feed ramps, heavy buffer and heavy extractor spring help a lot.

Before that, it was rough doing, but could be done with less reliability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top