Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2021 10:18:32 PM EDT
I've had a 10/22 receiver for years and finally got around to building it up, chassis, bipod etc. Get it out to zero and the windage on the scope is maxed out and it's still shooting about a foot right at 100.

Thought maybe the base was drilled crooked and bought a DNZ base/ring combo, switched out the scope and took it out yet again and there is no change. I think I can see off axis alignment when looking at the barrel versus the optic, but it's not obvious. Looking at the holes from under the receiver it's also hard to tell, but they must be off or the Leupold tube is bent (I don't think that's the case).

Sent Ruger an email about a week ago, haven't heard back from them and wondering if there is a better way to get it fixed? I've debated just sending it in with a note but don't know which service center it would go to.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Call them before you send it. They’ll send you a prepaid UPS label for it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe got one of the receivers with the barrel trunion bored off axis.

In any case, I wouldn’t send the rifle to Ruger in that configuration. If it were my gun, I’d probably just replace it with a Brownells or NDS receiver.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one from about 2006/2007 that’s off as well. Fine with irons but I’ve yet to find a scope I can get to zero with how far off the windage is.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I just discovered Leupold makes a windage adjustable single piece base and rings. I might try that versus waiting on Ruger to act.

I'm guessing this is pretty common if the adjustable base exists.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In any case, I wouldn’t send the rifle to Ruger in that configuration. If it were my gun, I’d probably just replace it with a Brownells or NDS receiver.
View Quote

Those seem to be unobtainium lately, and the only Ruger product left on this project would be the trigger group.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Have one like that. I enlarged the screw holes in the base to allow some horizontal movement. Once I got that done and checked I just epoxied the rail to the receiver.  Been a couple of years and everything is still holding solid.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You can always use the Burris signature rings with the shims to get it centered.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I would just go with the adjustable rings.  The rear ring will have a screw on each side to make the course adjustment, and then fine with the scope.  I have not used them in a long time.  My last set was from Redfield.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd fix it right with one of these. No way I'd want a cast Ruger receiver on a build.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Aftermarket-22LR-Receiver-Classic-Slip-Fit-Model_p_18.html
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Those seem to be unobtainium lately, and the only Ruger product left on this project would be the trigger group.
View Quote

SAP Outfitters

Put your name on the notification list or else they have a Tactical Innovations receiver  with the milled in rail in stock as I type this.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#12]
You could try turning your rings around.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#13]
If bad they'll just replace it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sent it out to Ruger yesterday, I'm now convinced the barrel trunion was drilled off center after looking at it mounted in two different stocks. (How does this even happen?)

Oddly they wanted the whole rifle sent to them and made me pay for shipping based on the age (made in 2008), they will be getting the barreled action and trigger group.

Those Leupold windage adujstable base/ring combos are just weird. I've never dealt with them before but they seem like a strange compromise. The front ring is something else, it's some weird twist wedge thing that requires quite a bit of force (I used a breaker bar covered in cloth) to twist into the base, there are no stops machined, meaning getting it at the right angle is just not really possible and the rear ring is held on by very little metal to metal contact. To top it off the base only uses three of the four receiver holes. Seems solid but craptastic at the same time. I'll be going with the DNZ ring and mount assuming I get a functional gun back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top