Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2018 8:40:11 PM EDT
I bought a used Ruger 10/22 at a gunshow.  The serial starts with 110.
It has a metal trigger guard.  So it been around awhile.  I do not know the round count.  Of course the guy said it work just fine.  
I am having failure to feed problems.  The round wont go in the chamber all the way.  It gets stuck at a angle.  
A few time it would not extract the round.
I did clean the rifle.  I also tried 2 kinds of ammo.
I am going to try a different mag next time.  The mag I was using is a ruger factory 10 rotary mag.  
I thought a bout getting a new extractor and spring and replacing the old ones.
Problems are random, but I can't get 10 rounds with out a issue.  Some times several issues in the 10 rounds.
Thanks for your advise

I tried a different mag and it wont feed.  Round gets about half way out of the mag.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Try this;

Take barrel off, get your favorite .22 ammo, several boxes and hand fit the rounds in the chamber of the barrel and see if they go in.

Ive had to micro polish the chamber with Flitz to get rounds to seat. So, you just might have tight chamber.

While it cant hurt to rebuild your bolt, i dont think thats your issue, I think its a feed issue like i said with the chamber.

If its tight chamber and your jamming rounds in there, itll also give your failures to extract.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#2]
When the rounds jam up on an angle is the rim under the bolt and still kind of in the magazine or is it on the bolt face but stuck under the extractor?

If you have not already, I would strip it down and clean it well. Make sure the bolt face and under the extractor is clean of carbon.Make sure the magazine catch slides forward and back smoothly. Clean the extractor cut on the barrel. Take the extractor out and with some fine sandpaper on a flat hard surface or knife sharpening stone smooth & polish the top and bottom sides. Make sure when installed the extractor pivots smoothly under spring tension in the bolt.

ETA: what condition is it in? Is it hammered or well used and broken in or is it like new?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
https://pix.sfly.com/rERySH
Here are a few pictures of it.  I would not call the gun abused but used for sure.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, sometimes the chamber will develop a carbon ring that is tough to scrub out.  A 6mm brush will fit fairly well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Guy i know installed his scope mount with entirely way too much lock tite it got down on the bolt and in the firing pin groove, did the exact same thing.  Problem started when he stripped out one (or more) of the reciver holes.  I vote take it all the way down and check out the bolt. KC
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Besides the screw protrusion issue, chamber and magazine.......

also look at the op handle/rod's spring.  It might just be a good time to move up to a bigger handle while you're at it.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
A 110 prefix is either a 1970 or '71 rifle.....Dad had a 110 prefix (I have it now) and I don't think he cleaned it for the 40 years he owned it but it never gave him any issues.

When he passed and I was cleaning it up I pulled out chunks of powder fowling. I really don't see how it ran at all.

When buying used 10-22s I always check to see it the barrel wedge screws are tight, I don't know how many I've seen that were loose to the point the barrel moved slightly fore and aft in the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, sometimes the chamber will develop a carbon ring that is tough to scrub out.  A 6mm brush will fit fairly well.
View Quote
Sometimes that brush needs to go in a drill.

OP, did you try some new factory mags?  And I mean new. 
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sometimes that brush needs to go in a drill.

OP, did you try some new factory mags?  And I mean new. 
View Quote
...or just clean your old one.

Ruger 10/22 & 77/22 Rotary Magazines

Lots of folks don't even know that they can be cleaned.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I ll clean the mag.
I did take it down again and remove the barrel.
I took the extractor and firing pin out and cleaned.
I ll take it out Saturday and see if it will work.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I personally dont recommend taking taking one of those mags apart, dont care what the youtube vid says, I took one apart and never got it back together right and Im fairly mechanical, lol.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Sometimes the chamber can get so gunked up you have to take the barrel off and super clean it from the chamber end. I have seen them jam because the screws that hold the barrel wedge on are loose. If you keep messing with it you will figure it out.

Don’t go gorilla on the screws though. They are steel screws screwed into an aluminum receiver so you can strip them
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd start with a cleaning (paying attention to the chamber).  While it's apart for cleaning, put your recoil spring guide rod up against a straight edge and check for straightness.  Also, while the bolt is out, stick a loaded .22 cartridge under the extractor, wave and jiggle the bolt around gently, and make sure the cartridge stays in place.

Assuming all of that goes well, I'd try the new magazine and see how things go.

If you still have problems, then look at polishing the chamber and replacing the extractor & extractor spring.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
The OP says he used two types of ammo.  Which two?  .22's are notorious (even the vaunted 10/22) for preferring certain ammo types over others.  It's entirely possible it is an ammo problem.  Try five or six more types from several different manufacturers.

Personally I've had pretty darned good success with CCI mini mags.  But, that being said I've got a couple .22's that won't feed them worth a darned.  Yet they work great with other brands.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the reply's.
I ll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]
If it is clean and lubed properly, I would suspect it needs a new recoil spring and would look closely at the bottom of the bolt where it strips the next round in the mag. I would also ensure I was using quality ammo that typically has harder bullets.

The bolt rides against the bullet of the next round in the magazine as it chambers. Soft bullets, light recoil springs, a sharp edge at the bottom of the bolt face or a combination of these things cause varied types of malfunctions because of this. These things can also cause the bullet deformation you have in your photos. It can be frustrating because several types of jams happen and the cause may not have happened when the jammed round was chambered.

First the bolt may loose enough energy riding over the next round in the mag, it can't completely chamber the round. The worst case of this, the bolt stops halfway through chambering.

Another scenario, the bolt hangs up on the next round enough to jam it into the front of the magazine deforming the round. When that round is chambered, it may or may not completely chamber because the bullet is so messed up it doesn't fit. This is mostly a problem with cheap ammo that has very soft bullets and a rifle with a bolt face bottom edge that is too sharp. It is confusing because the damage is done when the previous round was chambered.

With this type of problem, a new recoil spring could mask a bolt face edge that is too sharp or an ammo with harder bullets could mask a weak recoil spring. Eliminate the variables you know may need fixed, then start working on the others. In the end, you should be able to get cheap soft bullet ammo to run reasonably reliable, other than a few miss fires.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I personally dont recommend taking taking one of those mags apart, dont care what the youtube vid says, I took one apart and never got it back together right and Im fairly mechanical, lol.
View Quote
I have taken apart a few with zero issues.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I sent my rifle to ruger.
Here is the response.

I am emailing you in regards to a 10/22 serial number zzz that was sent in for jamming and feeding. The technician  has evaluated this firearm and found there to be wear in the magazine locator hole. As a gesture of good will we are offering to replace the receiver at the discounted price of $87.00. Please contact myself at your earliest opportunity with the acceptance or decline of this offer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I sent my rifle to ruger.
Here is the response.

I am emailing you in regards to a 10/22 serial number zzz that was sent in for jamming and feeding. The technician  has evaluated this firearm and found there to be wear in the magazine locator hole. As a gesture of good will we are offering to replace the receiver at the discounted price of $87.00. Please contact myself at your earliest opportunity with the acceptance or decline of this offer.
View Quote
That’s a good deal. With that hole worn out your mag/barrel geometry is fubar I guess. Ruger is very good about service. Not much else you can do but accept.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep I called this morning and paid.
Hope to have it back in a week or two.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]
That is good news.

When you get it back and take it for a test run, keep in mind what pepe-lepew said.

AND, keep in mind what jeepnik said.  So, you many still need to experiment with your ammo choice.  Not all 22LR is created,  equal.  Even though, it's said to be traveling at X fps, with a bullet of Y construction or of Z weight when compared against a favorite brand offering, that you know that works.

BTW.....my Ruger 10/22s doesn't like Federal Auto Match and the lighter offerings (36 grn and 38 grn) of most plated 22LR ammo (when fed through a Ruger BX-25 magazine).

I usually purchase CCI Blazers (40 grn lead) and I don't usually have problems with it working when shot out of the semi autos in my collection.

The CCI Blazer exception is.....when it's shot through my Walther P22 pistol.  My Walther, only likes Rem. bulk Thunderbolt (40 grn lead)*.  Of course many people also say that CCI Mini Mags work well through a Walter P22.  But, I refuse to pay Mini Mag prices for "plinking pistol ammo".

Aloha, Mark

*I have yet to try the Rem Golden Bullets.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Good info in this thread.    I would clean, replace the recoil spring, and clean the mags.   For mags, the Tandemkross tool is worth the investment.   I've used the set for a long time now, works great on 10/22 mags
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top