Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2018 1:12:02 PM EDT
Good afternoon! I had my 10/22 out on the range a few days ago and I finally decided that I want a new trigger for it (after a few months of thinking about it). Currently the BX trigger is on sale at a few places for $50, which looks like a good option.

I was about to pull the trigger on the BX (sorry for being punny) when I ran across Brimstone Gunsmithing. For less than the BX I could get a trigger job (their Tier 3) or for $75ish I could get a Tier 2. Both look like great upgrades, especially the Tier 2. I am interested to hear from any of you that own the BX or Brimstone triggers and how you like them. Thank you for any insight!
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a BX and it has met my expectations.  Crisp and light, but not too light.  It's like the belgian ale of triggers.

It's reliable, has Ruger backing it, is inexpensive, and is easy to install.

Reliability is paramount to me.  Even though my 10/22 isn't a self-defense gun, nothing infuriates me more than stuff that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a BX and it has met my expectations.  Crisp and light, but not too light.  It's like the belgian ale of triggers.

It's reliable, has Ruger backing it, is inexpensive, and is easy to install.

Reliability is paramount to me.  Even though my 10/22 isn't a self-defense gun, nothing infuriates me more than stuff that doesn't work.
View Quote
Well said.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have my 10/22 configured with TechSights, military width sling swivels, GI sling and the BX trigger.

It’s a very nice trigger for blasting empty shotgun shells at 25 yards or doing mini service rifle shooting.

If you are building some super accurate rifle to shoot off bags and bipod I might look at one of the pricier options.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
All my 10/22s have brimstone work done.  I’ve shot BX triggers and wouldn’t pay extra for them. If you already have a trigger group send it to brimstone.  You will be happy with the result.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Brimstone  in mine very nice trigger.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had both and like the BX, but prefer Brimstone's. You'll be happy with either over the stock one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
No experience with the Brimstone product so no comment.

Never tried the Ruger replacement for the stock trigger. Why don't they just put THAT trigger in their new guns??

I did install the Kidd (coolguyguns.com) kit in my gun. Holy smokes what a freaking awesome trigger! Add in the nylon/poly bolt buffer, the modified bolt catch and the long extended mag release and it is an outstanding, sweet shooting rifle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had brimstone and a bx. I continue buying brimstone and the bx got sold
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I lucked out.
Was on the fence about a Brimstone trigger job for a long time, even after the BX launched I still wanted the Brimstone work on my original trigger. Then, a member of my local forum posted a BX that already had a Brimstone job done on it. I gave him my trigger plus cash and I couldn’t be happier. Very, very light, short, and crisp pull. Plus, just the upgrade to a metal trigger over the standard plastic was a bonus, too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The Kidd trigger kit blows the BX out of the water and is only $90 if you buy two.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Went with a BX trigger and am very pleased for the price tag.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Original trigger groups sale for $30 easy so you might factor that into the BX price or keep the parts as spares.

BX groups can be found any day for $50 shipped on EBay, some sellers will test pull weights and list them.

A Brimstone trigger job should be better, you just need to decide if the cost is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I have several Brimstone tier 3 jobs, one set at #2, 2.5#, and sweet spot. It’s hard for me to tell the difference between the 2# and sweet spot which are my favorites. I’ve put several thousand rounds through my farm 22 and I don’t know how it can be beaten for the money. I had a Volquartsen trigger and I sold it to fund all my Brimstone tier 3 jobs. My buddy got a tier 1 job and it’s pretty damn sweet. Tier 3 is good enough for my needs, but if you’re wanting to splurge for top of the line...
I have no BX experience as to compare. If you’re comparing the factory trigger to Brimstone, I’d give the factory trigger a 3/10 and the tier 3 an 8/10.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of Brimstone Tier 3 triggers and several BX triggers. To be honest there is very little difference. I also have a Brimstone tuned BX trigger, that one is very nice and a definite step up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:54:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Kidd>Brimstone>BX
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I have both in different guns. If you go with Brimstone, be sure to go with Tier 2 with the trigger stop. It makes a big difference and is worth the extra money. I am very fond of the BX triggers. You can do some good shooting with them. If you buy a BX for $50, you can sell your original trigger group for $20 and only have $30 in the BX. A lot cheaper than the Brimstone esp when you count the total cost with shipping.

You can't go wrong with either, but the BX is a good trigger and for the money it can't be beat.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#17]
On a related note, the T/C R22 trigger is very similar to the Ruger BX trigger and can be tuned by Brimstone.  I had mine done and it's very nice.

REVIEW
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome, thank you all for the great information! Now I just have to make a decision. I suppose, in Arfcom fashion, I could always get both! While I only have one 10/22 at the moment, that'll probably change in the future.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Brownells had the Bx on sale last week for $45 shipped.  I picked up another one for my wife’s 10/22.  I like them for the money.  Way better than stock. I also have the volq drop in upgrades and I’d say the bx is on par with those.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Brownells had the Bx on sale last week for $45 shipped.  I picked up another one for my wife’s 10/22.  I like them for the money.  Way better than stock. I also have the volq drop in upgrades and I’d say the bx is on par with those.
View Quote
There are BX triggers on EBay for under $40
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There are BX triggers on EBay for under $40
View Quote
Bought mine from a local retailer for $34.99 last year!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#22]
The BX trigger is a good progression for Ruger in general.  Comparing them to Tier 2 work at Brimstone is comparing apples to oranges imho.

Anyone at home with skills can polish and alter the geometry of the sear and disconnector to get a better trigger pull.

The advantage of the Brimstone tier 2 is the installation of the hammer torque spring and doing away with the cockeye Ruger trigger reset hole in addition to the work done on the trigger in general.

just my .02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top