Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2018 12:38:17 PM EDT
Thinking of setting up a 9mm carbine for shooting steel or maybe even USPSA. What is out there for brakes that will go on a 1/2x28 barrel?

I see the Fortis and the TriDelta and AR Stoner. Fortis and AR Stoner look good to me but I figured I would see what all is out there since I am wayyyyy out of the loop.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
SLR Rifleworks has some nice 9mm muzzle devices. They are not muzzle brakes, but linear comp type.

I have one of their titanium hybrid comps on a AR9 SBR and it is great.

The Fortis brake you mentioned works really well on a 556 SBR that I have. I have been meaning to try one in 9mm. I just missed one in the EE.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are running it on a PCC you will need to make sure it is not threaded 1/2X36 and then if you have a 16” barrel there isn’t going to be very much a brake can really do for you. The pressures are already dropping or at least not increasing at the muzzle. You can get a sound redirection benefit from a linear comp though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I don’t really need any sound abatement and have cans for that purpose. I’m sure there’s not a lot of gas left but even the 22 guys see some benefit which is better than nothing.

Besides the real purpose of the gun hobby as I’m sure you know is to spend money.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t really need any sound abatement and have cans for that purpose. I’m sure there’s not a lot of gas left but even the 22 guys see some benefit which is better than nothing.

Besides the real purpose of the gun hobby as I’m sure you know is to spend money.
View Quote
Good lord do I know the purpose of the gun hobby.

I really like the SLR linear comps in Ti.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I've put 6500 rounds through my slr minicomp it is rock solid and actually does control the muzzle pretty well vs the flash hider it replaced ....for what little recoil there is from 9mm that is
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want a "brake" checkout the shooters element that just came out its about 1 inch long , lightweight.

For a "comp" you cant beat the slr

Only adds about 1 inch of length and 2oz also avail in titanium aswell

SLR new:

6500+/- later

Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I suggest taking your favorite brake, flash hider, or linear comp threaded 1/2 x 28 made for 5.56 and just drilling it out large enough for a 9mm round to pass through.  That is what I have done a number of times for my PCC's
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get alot of predrilled on the bay such as the a2 or phantoms pretty cheap as well
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Are 9 mm PCC brakes as offensive to other shooters around you as centerfire rifle brakes? Logic would say no, but I have no experience with this. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 2:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are 9 mm PCC brakes as offensive to other shooters around you as centerfire rifle brakes? Logic would say no, but I have no experience with this. Thanks.
View Quote
USPSA open pistols are not as bad as centerfire rifle brakes in my opinion so the PCC should be even less so.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
PCC shooter here.

9mm brakes aren't going to do a whole lot for you if you're using a 16" barrel. I only have one on my comp gun because it makes it easier for the timer to pick up my shots. After having to reshoot stages a couple times because the timer didn't pick up my last shot, I finally just went to ebay and bought a cheap one for ~$20. I don't notice a difference in the recoil of the gun with it on there, but I haven't had any reshoots since I installed it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
PCC shooter here.

9mm brakes aren't going to do a whole lot for you if you're using a 16" barrel. I only have one on my comp gun because it makes it easier for the timer to pick up my shots. After having to reshoot stages a couple times because the timer didn't pick up my last shot, I finally just went to ebay and bought a cheap one for ~$20. I don't notice a difference in the recoil of the gun with it on there, but I haven't had any reshoots since I installed it.
View Quote
lol that's funny. I've heard of suppressed guys having the same problem.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like the Spikes Barking Spider 9mm device
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have not tried it but the A-Hole Micro looks adequate for 9mm.  Cheap and light.  You would need to drill it to accommodate 9mm which would be very easy being aluminium.  You could probably even ask them to do it for you.
A-Hole
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a couple of cool looking ones from Just Right Carbine website, 1/2x28 made for 9mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top