Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is in FBI "delayed status" which for me means it's the prints. I know this because back in Nov. 17 an ATF person contacted me about missing boxes on my print cards, corrected it and said it will be returned to the FBI.  So my take is, if you mess something up on your prints it might be the issue.  By emailing the NFA branch about the 13 month pending form 1 got me connected with the examiner who explained the "delayed status" issue.  While he would only say its a background check issue you must know they just do a NICS check and your prints nothing more, so for me it must go in the "you have been punished pile" for messing up your prints which tells me why I'm delayed. Going on 15 months now on a Trust. ymmv
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ncorry:
Form 4 Trust with two RPs- Check cashed 1/26/17.  Been in FBI check land since around Septemeber 2017.  Sometimes they say "just waiting on the FBI BG check", others it's simply "pending".
View Quote
Spoke to a supervisor for the ATF last week and was told that FBI is working through their September backlog.  Which means that they are looking at applicants today, whos been "pending FBI background check" since September.   Who knows what this really means since i just read in another forum that someone who was pending the FBI background check since December just got approved.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I finally got around to calling on mine (filed with a trust).  The ATF received the paperwork late September (the date I was given by the ATF rep matched my certified mail delivery receipt).  My status is "Pending" (which is what I was expecting to hear). Not sure what it's pending (I didn't care enough to press on that).  Anyways....quick/painless process to call and check (this is my first NFA application).
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:39:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bunnybunny] [#4]
I'm curious to know if the ATF is really sending prints off to be evaluated by the FBI? Seems a bit strange since NICS is the only background check they do, and the fingerprint cards will be retained on file.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
15 months total, delayed since November got the stamp today!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mew:
15 months total, delayed since November got the stamp today!!
View Quote
Good Grief...15 months?

Mine has been in FBI BGC limbo since January.

Complete BS.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By swampvol:

Good Grief...15 months?

Mine has been in FBI BGC limbo since January.

Complete BS.
View Quote
12/8/2016 submission here. Form 4 trust. FBI BGC since January or better too. January was the first time I called.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
PENDING.  It's all pending folks.

Background check.  Pending.  All the same thing.

AS soon as the check is cashed, PENDING.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:
PENDING.  It's all pending folks.

Background check.  Pending.  All the same thing.

AS soon as the check is cashed, PENDING.
View Quote
hun pending is not pending.  FBI background check is a whole separate black hole.  16k people fell into that hole around aug-sep of 2017 and I just got out.  I was first made aware that I was pending FBI check rather than standard you are sitting on the stack pending in september.  At the SOT when I grabbed this today there was another stamp that came in the same day that went pending Sept of 2017.  I believe that is 586 days.  There were 3 other stamps that I submitted after this one that cleared before this did.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: r-2-k-b-a] [#10]
Originally Posted By JessBrie:

hun pending is not pending.  FBI background check is a whole separate black hole.  16k people fell into that hole around aug-sep of 2017 and I just got out.  I was first made aware that I was pending FBI check rather than standard you are sitting on the stack pending in september.  At the SOT when I grabbed this today there was another stamp that came in the same day that went pending Sept of 2017.  I believe that is 586 days.  There were 3 other stamps that I submitted after this one that cleared before this did.  
https://i.imgur.com/qHrTXWO.jpg
View Quote
Has someone at NFA branch actually told anyone first hand that it's a different status ?

Theres NO excuse for that time-frame on your form.

NONE.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Has someone at NFA branch actually told anyone first hand that it's a different status ?

Theres NO excuse for that time-frame on your form.

NONE.
View Quote
Yes I had talked to my inspector on multiple occasions.  There is an excuse for the time-frame and I believe it has been spelled out.  If for any reason there is delay on the instacheck it needs to be looked at by a real live person at the FBI.  If that happens you are put into FBI check.  This shouldn't be a big deal.  A backlog became noticable in aug-sep of last year.  If a firearm transfer has delay for any reason they have something like what 72 hours by law to get it back out or you can take your firearm home.  That is not the case for NFA items.  It needs to be codified in law and it won't because it is too minor of an issue.  This should have been solved by removing suppressors from the list all together this year but our legislators shit the bed.  It is also 2018 and we are being led to believe that they couldn't have a working and viable online or electronic platform for this whole process....nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JessBrie:

Yes I had talked to my inspector on multiple occasions.  There is an excuse for the time-frame and I believe it has been spelled out.  If for any reason there is delay on the instacheck it needs to be looked at by a real live person at the FBI.  If that happens you are put into FBI check.  This shouldn't be a big deal.  A backlog became noticable in aug-sep of last year.  If a firearm transfer has delay for any reason they have something like what 72 hours by law to get it back out or you can take your firearm home.  That is not the case for NFA items.  It needs to be codified in law and it won't because it is too minor of an issue.  This should have been solved by removing suppressors from the list all together this year but our legislators shit the bed.  It is also 2018 and we are being led to believe that they couldn't have a working and viable online or electronic platform for this whole process....nonsense.
View Quote
I'll defer to your direct info from the NFA branch on it then.  But its fascinating that they are screwing this up so badly.

The main reason is, say on a Form-1.  I already have the gun and passed a NICS check or have a carry permit to exempt myself.  Plus the huge folder of OTHER stamps in the drawer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 5:55:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bbies1973] [#13]
Originally Posted on FBI.gov:
Current processing time for Identity History Summary requests submitted via the mail is 14-16 weeks. Allow additional time for mail delivery.
View Quote
Don't take my word for it, it's right here, on .gov: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

EDIT: As it has been pointed out above in this thread, there is no good reason, in the 21st Century, for it to take this long. The only excuse is that too much of the federal government is still operating as it was during the Cold War. When I bought my first suppressor, my dealer explained to me how the electronic forms process including digital fingerprint scanners had already undergone testing and was just waiting for the approval to flip the switch on it. My local sheriff's jailor can run digital prints on someone and have them booked, or an inquiry response through the federal DOJ in just about a full minute. A decade later, we still aren't there because when ATF did flip that switch the lights went out. Immediately back to the '80s and mailing cards to DOJ.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bbies1973:

Don't take my word for it, it's right here, on .gov: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

EDIT: As it has been pointed out above in this thread, there is no good reason, in the 21st Century, for it to take this long. The only excuse is that too much of the federal government is still operating as it was during the Cold War. When I bought my first suppressor, my dealer explained to me how the electronic forms process including digital fingerprint scanners had already undergone testing and was just waiting for the approval to flip the switch on it. My local sheriff's jailor can run digital prints on someone and have them booked, or an inquiry response through the federal DOJ in just about a full minute. A decade later, we still aren't there because when ATF did flip that switch the lights went out. Immediately back to the '80s and mailing cards to DOJ.
View Quote
Oh the simple fact that DOJ requires rolled prints means they are intentionally making it slow.  The DOJ could easily connect with AFIS fingerprint systems available to everyone and have it done in 90 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Of course the technology is available, and has been available for a while.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Oh the simple fact that DOJ requires rolled prints means they are intentionally making it slow.  The DOJ could easily connect with AFIS fingerprint systems available to everyone and have it done in 90 seconds.
View Quote
Except that DOJ is not requiring the rolled prints. Anyone with the technology is capable of submitting to DOJ electronically. My local county jail does it. You don't even have to have a live scan from the person, but the cards ATF gets from us can be scanned with a flatbed scanner and submitted electronically with the right software.

Cards by mail is the method that ATF defaulted back to after their attempt to automate it failed approximately a year ago. Old dogs and new tricks, you know. They just defaulted back to what they know, instead of making half of an attempt to make things easier - not only for us, but also for themselves.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bbies1973:

Except that DOJ is not requiring the rolled prints. Anyone with the technology is capable of submitting to DOJ electronically. My local county jail does it. You don't even have to have a live scan from the person, but the cards ATF gets from us can be scanned with a flatbed scanner and submitted electronically with the right software.

Cards by mail is the method that ATF defaulted back to after their attempt to automate it failed approximately a year ago. Old dogs and new tricks, you know. They just defaulted back to what they know, instead of making half of an attempt to make things easier - not only for us, but also for themselves.
View Quote
When I got "printed" at my county jail for the individual form 4, I believe they scanned my hands instead of rolled.

Hard to remember for certain though, as that was 8 months ago and I'm still under back ground check and waiting on approval.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I called today and spoke with a nice young lady by the name of Brittany.  I was trying to get whatever information I could regarding the FBI backlog.  All she advised me was that if you had a common name (which I apparently do....) that there may be issues and it would have to be reviewed.  She connected me with my examiner (James Schumacher) with no answer.  I believe this is my last attempt until I get a call from the FFL.  F4 Individual pending since 7/31/17, Pending FBI since early December 2017.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tyler315:
I called today and spoke with a nice young lady by the name of Brittany.  I was trying to get whatever information I could regarding the FBI backlog.  All she advised me was that if you had a common name (which I apparently do....) that there may be issues and it would have to be reviewed.  She connected me with my examiner (James Schumacher) with no answer.  I believe this is my last attempt until I get a call from the FFL.  F4 Individual pending since 7/31/17, Pending FBI since early December 2017.
View Quote
Well, then.  How come I dont get fast tracked because my name is weird, and I have a zillion stamps already?
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
A congressional inquiry will get shit figured out FAST
View Quote
I had to do this.  TWICE.  While trying to get INTO the Army.    for some reason they still screwed it up
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Well, then.  How come I dont get fast tracked because my name is weird, and I have a zillion stamps already?
View Quote
Yeah that is BS.

I don"t have a common last name either, and here I sit in FBI BGC lala land.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#22]
... today is exactly ONE YEAR since BATFE started their process on my Form 4, trust, paper. For the past month they state that it's pending the FBI background check, and they're backlogged. How long, nobody knows

Is there any recourse at this time? Or could I be in for another one year wait?

Grrrrrrr
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
... today is exactly ONE YEAR since BATFE started their process on my Form 4, trust, paper. For the past month they state that it's pending the FBI background check, and they're backlogged. How long, nobody knows

Is there any recourse at this time? Or could I be in for another one year wait?

Grrrrrrr
View Quote
I'm at 8 months same story.

Spoke directly to examiner, said it's in "delayed status".

Emailed clutter, who just forwarded it back to examiner, who just repeated the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Still sitting at FBI BGC status- check cashed 1/26/2017.  Trust, two RPs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Out of curiosity for those who are stuck with "Pending FBI Background Check"  did you all include your SSN with the F4/F1 application or did you leave that area blank?
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jbntex:
Out of curiosity for those who are stuck with "Pending FBI Background Check"  did you all include your SSN with the F4/F1 application or did you leave that area blank?
View Quote
I just looked at the Form 4 and the two Responsible Person Questionnaires that I sent in (both forms were "Revised May 2016" versions).  I can't find a field to enter a SSN on either form.

One of the two trustees (Responsible Persons) did list his SSN on his fingerprint cards; the other trustee did not.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbntex] [#27]
Originally Posted By ncorry:

I just looked at the Form 4 and the two Responsible Person Questionnaires that I sent in (both forms were "Revised May 2016" versions).  I can't find a field to enter a SSN on either form.

One of the two trustees (Responsible Persons) did list his SSN on his fingerprint cards; the other trustee did not.
View Quote

You are correct, the applicant(s) SSN(s) are not on the Form 1/4 or the RP forms..... it would be listed on the fingerprint cards that are used as part of the background check process. Which is the part of the process that appears to be hung up for some folks.  I was just curious if there was any linkage between not providing your SSN(s) and getting hung up on the FBI BGC process.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

I know my local dealer said he's gotten a call on every FP card that went in without an SSN, so he has been including it on every submission.
View Quote
Always include your SSN on an FBI fingerprint card.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't think the FBI hangup is due to not putting a SSN because I always put mine on whenever I can and I'm stuck there too on a form 4 individual. Almost 9 months now. This is bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Not sure what the deal is but my form 4 trust with 2 RPs took 9 months and 24 days.

Hell I have held a Top secret clearance with SCI and still took almost 10 months for a dang suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I really want to jump in the market and get a MG.  But after reading this stuff here it really makes me think why even bother.    Sounds like just too much trouble.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KVegasAK:
I really want to jump in the market and get a MG.  But after reading this stuff here it really makes me think why even bother.    Sounds like just too much trouble.
View Quote
Just think, if you'd just have done it instead of finding reasons not to, you'd probably have it by now even if it did take forever.

Yeah, I know, that made about as much sense as waiting because you don't want to wait lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Don't let the artificial delay they created keep you from owning what you want and exercising your right to possess them.  That is their intended goal. Don't let them win.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDSledge] [#35]
My local dealer told me they have only received a trickle of stamps for a few months now.  They usually get dozens back a month.  They said they called their contact at the BATF and were told the FBI BC's were backlogged.  I called the branch yesterday and a nice lady confirmed the BC backlog, she said due to "all the stuff that is going on".   Does she mean the wasted time chasing stupid politically motivated bullshit trying to put POTUS out of office?

I submitted my form 4 individuals in November 2017 when the wait time was approx 6 months for approval.  Still pending.  Now I have no clue, could be a year or more.  No problem I am not getting any older!!!  No excuse for this bullshit.

I think the FBI is intentionally delaying the process.  What a great organization it has become.  Reputation ruined, forever viewed as inept, nothing more than a third world political tool.  Thanks obama/comey/mueller/mccabe you assholes.

ps. There have to be thousands of stand up agents also sick of the upper echelon screwups.  They are the only thing holding the FBI together right now and I'll bet morale is at rock bottom.

EDIT: Spoke to Brittany today and she said they have thousands of forms waiting on FBI BC's.  She said forms avg. 8 months approval from submission date.  If you go into the FBI BC pile it could be days, weeks, or months added to the delay and I don't even have an examiner yet, much less the BC underway.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By HDSledge:
My local dealer told me they have only received a trickle of stamps for a few months now.  They usually get dozens back a month.  They said they called their contact at the BATF and were told the FBI BC's were backlogged.  I called the branch yesterday and a nice lady confirmed the BC backlog, she said due to "all the stuff that is going on".   Does she mean the wasted time chasing stupid politically motivated bullshit trying to put POTUS out of office?

I submitted my form 4 individuals in November 2017 when the wait time was approx 6 months for approval.  Still pending.  Now I have no clue, could be a year or more.  No problem I am not getting any older!!!  No excuse for this bullshit.

I think the FBI is intentionally delaying the process.  What a great organization it has become.  Reputation ruined, forever viewed as inept, nothing more than a third world political tool.  Thanks obama/comey/mueller/mccabe you assholes.

ps. There have to be thousands of stand up agents also sick of the upper echelon screwups.  They are the only thing holding the FBI together right now and I'll bet morale is at rock bottom.

EDIT: Spoke to Brittany today and she said they have thousands of forms waiting on FBI BC's.  She said forms avg. 8 months approval from submission date.  If you go into the FBI BC pile it could be days, weeks, or months added to the delay and I don't even have an examiner yet, much less the BC underway.
View Quote
... that's fucked up
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 2:53:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDSledge] [#37]
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
... that's fucked up
View Quote
This is the first time I have ever considered that some of us old farts might not live long enough to take ownership of what is rightfully ours.

However NFA Brittany was very nice.  Here is her photo (could be) sitting there taking my call, so that makes me not so mad at them, a bit.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
I've been saying it for a year or more now that the 'back log' is 100% intentional.  DOJ FBI ATF is 100% intentionally slow-walking forms.

NFA branch is NOT our problem. They don't want all this paper clutter.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#39]
My congress person wants me disarmed and taxed at 120%. So not much I could do..
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Well after a year of waiting on my form 4's I started calling every week for their status.
And the ATF had them at the FBI for a backround check for 5 weeks.
So I was out to to a 400 day wait!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#41]

I've been saying it for a year or more now that the 'back log' is 100% intentional.  DOJ FBI ATF is 100% intentionally slow-walking forms.

NFA branch is NOT our problem. They don't want all this paper clutter.
View Quote
Shitty thing is not even Trump can make a call and make anything happen at FBI.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

Just think, if you'd just have done it instead of finding reasons not to, you'd probably have it by now even if it did take forever.

Yeah, I know, that made about as much sense as waiting because you don't want to wait lol
View Quote
I have patience when it comes to children and animals.  That's it.  A mg doesn't qualify in either category.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By slap_shot:

Don't let the artificial delay they created keep you from owning what you want and exercising your right to possess them.  That is their intended goal. Don't let them win.
View Quote
Oh I'm well aware of that.   If I want one I will get one.   My luck I'd die before I ever got possession of it.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 1:00:13 AM EDT
[#44]

This is the first time I have ever considered that some of us old farts might not live long enough to take ownership of what is rightfully ours.

However NFA Brittany was very nice.  Here is her photo (could be) sitting there taking my call, so that makes me not so mad at them, a bit.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374164/Brittany-510826.JPG
View Quote
Rachel Roxx.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#45]
@NoloContendere

At what point can a suit be filled for infringement due to untimely processing?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I have patience when it comes to children and animals.  That's it.  A mg doesn't qualify in either category.  
View Quote
I think you found your signature line.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#47]
As of today I have been pending since 21 Nov 2016. Can #7, NFA item #9. 507 days and counting. I could adopt a human child faster.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By shrapmagnet:
As of today I have been pending since 21 Nov 2016. Can #7, NFA item #9. 507 days and counting. I could adopt a human child faster.
View Quote
It sounds like the system is working as intended.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By shrapmagnet:
View Quote
I think your form is lost but their digital record isn't.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#50]
I think I'm going to unsubscribe from the NFA Timeline thread.

Pisses me off seeing guys who submitted in October getting their stamp already while I sit and continue to wait after just going through an FBI finger print background check a little more than a year ago for my CCP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them but seeing those quick turnarounds on a daily basis is like adding insult to injury.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top