Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

Got it. Wasn't clear to me what you were responding to because of the single quotes. My mistake.
View Quote
Effenpig took my answer out of context, and shit rolled downhill. "Exit thread" was pretty witty, I got a chuckle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
Another one who needs to ask Santa for reading comprehension.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fettesbrotde:
You're completely and utterly wrong.
Another one who needs to ask Santa for reading comprehension.
Unless the quote tree is there, no one would understand the context. Makes sense now.

No need to get salty.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fettesbrotde:
Unless the quote tree is there, no one would understand the context. Makes sense now.

No need to get salty.
View Quote
Didn't mean to offend, "exit thread" was clever, I tried to reciprocate. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be the dunce in the corner who still doesn't understand: When my dealer calls and says "stamp's here" and I go pick up the can, I have to fill out a 4473.  Are you saying there is NOT a background check done at this time?  In my mind 4473 and BGC are the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
41F can suck it
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:14:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#6]
Originally Posted By 35Remington:
I'll be the dunce in the corner who still doesn't understand: When my dealer calls and says "stamp's here" and I go pick up the can, I have to fill out a 4473.  Are you saying there is NOT a background check done at this time?  In my mind 4473 and BGC are the same thing.
View Quote
Correct. The common terminology is:

When you send in fingerprint cards, that is the background check.

When you dealer phones in your info off a 4473, that is a NICS check.

State rules may differ wrt to 4473 checks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
There shouldn’t be. Why would you need another bgc after just getting one?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#8]
View Quote
Right, you still fill out a 4473. They just don't call in / go online and do a NICS check. Two separate things that are normally done together for standard gun purchases — which is why it's easy to get confused and think it's the same thing.  Only one happens when you pick up your stamp.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Right, you still fill out a 4473. They just don't call in / go online and do a NICS check. Two separate things that are normally done together for standard gun purchases — which is why it's easy to get confused and think it's the same thing.  Only one happens when you pick up your stamp.
View Quote
Ah ok.  So that means having a LTC/CHL does you no benefit when picking up an NFA item?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#10]
So that means having a LTC/CHL does you no benefit when picking up an NFA item?
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Effenpig took my answer out of context, and shit rolled downhill. "Exit thread" was pretty witty, I got a chuckle.
View All Quotes

Got it. Wasn't clear to me what you were responding to because of the single quotes. My mistake.
Actually, I took your answer in the exact context it was in

Instead of putting it into context, you chose to just repeat yourself and make cute comments

You must work at a gun store in some capacity. I'd recognize that special breed anywhere lol
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
9 months since purchase
8 months since the checks cleared
3 months since "pending FBI background check with at least 6 months to go"

I wrote both my senator and congressman today about the issue.

So I will see what they have to say. Other than that, I'm just going to do my best to forget about the whole thing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

Actually, I took your answer in the exact context it was in

Instead of putting it into context, you chose to just repeat yourself and make cute comments

You must work at a gun store in some capacity. I'd recognize that special breed anywhere lol
View Quote
Can you guys take this BS into the pit or something?

I don't care to read about people sword fighting with their dicks in tech forums
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JoshInReno:
9 months since purchase

So I will see what they have to say. Other than that, I'm just going to do my best to forget about the whole thing.
View Quote
Curious why you say "at least 6 months to go"?

Many that get stuck have been running 11 to 12 months total
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
9 months since purchase

Based solely on the conversation I had with my examiner about a week ago: "The FBI just started working on background checks from around May 1st. I think you're looking at another 6 months before they get to yours."

I sure hope she was wrong.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Called today to see... was told... "your submission is pending, waiting to be assigned to an examiner"... does that mean my BG check hasn't even been done?

Check cashed date was July 24th so I know I might still have a while.

Have an E-file Form 1 from Oct 31st hope that comes back this week.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#18]
UPDATE!

I am now approved.  Got the “Proceed” on my Form 1 and 4.  Reaching out for help from a local State representative or congressman is definitely worth your time. Have to say my congressman’s office was awesome as well as my NFA examiners.

Will update with details later.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 56cbr600rr:
UPDATE!

I am now approved.  Got the "Proceed" on my Form 1 and 4.  Reaching out for help from a local State representative or congressman is definitely worth your time. Have to say my congressman's office was awesome as well as my NFA examiners.

View Quote
Glad to hear it, now I hope they're not able to steal his seat but damn if they aren't trying
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Based solely on the conversation I had with my examiner about a week ago: "The FBI just started working on background checks from around May 1st. I think you're looking at another 6 months before they get to yours."

View All Quotes
9 months since purchase

Well then they're definitely not catching up at all. Sounds like they're falling even further behind.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#22]
You might want to exit this thread.

The ATF does indeed send off for a NICS check at the end of processing for NFA items - the recent complications of which is the subject of this entire thread lol.
This has absolutely nothing to do with your individual FFL holder - and yes, there's no reason for individual FFLs to be initiating NICS checks on NFA items.
View All Quotes

One more time, there is no NICS check for NFA.
You might want to exit this thread.

The ATF does indeed send off for a NICS check at the end of processing for NFA items - the recent complications of which is the subject of this entire thread lol.
This has absolutely nothing to do with your individual FFL holder - and yes, there's no reason for individual FFLs to be initiating NICS checks on NFA items.
Yep, my NFA examiner said they did a NICS check today.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RLunyATL:
Glad to hear it, now I hope they're not able to steal his seat but damn if they aren't trying
View Quote
Me too!  Thanks for the help.

And yes, this whole state and the mysterious votes still rolling in is BS.  FL too!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pbjunkiee] [#24]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:
Just talked to an examiner

Have 2 that went pending feb 26 2018
They both went fbi pending aug 6 2018

He gave me both NTN numbers.

Ill sit on them for a few days until the fbi goes over 3mo and send some emails.
View Quote
Suppressor came back today, AOW still pending

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#26]
Originally Posted By jackal2001:
I did 2 purchases this year via SS.
Form 1 SBR was approved right around 4 months. 3/2018 to 7/2018.
Form 4 suppressor check was cashed on 4/30/2018 but I hear they are running about 7 months from a FB post from someone that called.

I was planning on calling around 12/1 just to see what the status is because of this black hole thing. Not sure why one of mine would be approve quick and the other would be stuck in a black hole.
Also what are people asking when they call or write their representative?  I would imagine they wouldn't care about your stamp collection.  What do you say?
View Quote
There's no rhyme or reason why some get flagged and some don't

When you call just say you want to check the status of a form 4. If they tell you its pending I would ask "is it just pending, or is it pending background check"

I like to be sure because some if the operators will give the absolute bare minimum of information unless you push for it

I wouldn't get worked up. Chances are pretty low of getting stuck, unless of course you routinely get delayed on NICS checks

I remember when I first stumbled on this thread. I called right away and at that time was just plain old pending. I thought " what are the chances I would read this thread and then have it happen to me" lol

Well, I must be lucky because the next time I called I got the dreaded pending BGC lol. Ended up taking just shy of a year for me
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#28]
All my stamps have been pretty quick in the past. I'm on speed pass with nics also. Lol. Never had an issue. Reading some posts on nfa tracker seems like 7 months. I don't want to jinx it.  Maybe I'll leave it alone for now.
View All Quotes

There's no rhyme or reason why some get flagged and some don't

When you call just say you want to check the status of a form 4? If they tell you its pending I would ask "is it just pending, or is it pending background check"

I like to be sure because some if the operators will give the absolute bare minimum of information unless you push for it

I wouldn't get worked up. Chances are pretty low of getting stuck, unless of course you routinely get delayed on NICS checks

I remember when I first stumbled on this thread. I called right away and at that time was just plain old pending. I thought " what are the chances I would read this thread and then have it happen to me" lol

Well, I must be lucky because the next time I called I got the dreaded pending BGC lol. Ended up taking just shy of a year for me
All my stamps have been pretty quick in the past. I'm on speed pass with nics also. Lol. Never had an issue. Reading some posts on nfa tracker seems like 7 months. I don't want to jinx it.  Maybe I'll leave it alone for now.
My advice after dealing with it and reading this thread is to call. The sooner you know about it the sooner you can get the ball rolling on getting it fixed

By speed pass do you mean like a nics PIN? That may be the golden ticket
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I am at 246 days since Check Cashed.  Here is my notes on my progress so far for those interested.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jackal2001] [#31]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:14:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#32]
So I guess my question is what is the FBI background check pertaining to?  A nics check?
All they have to do is "Pick up the telephone, then dialed the 7 digits Said, "Yo, this Marquis, baby! Are you down with it?"
Should take 2 minutes. Guess they are just not doing it???
View Quote
It probably gets sent to the desk of the agent who is known to be the tard in the office, that they push all the crappy stuff onto.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:29:31 AM EDT
[#33]
So I guess my question is what is the FBI background check pertaining to?  A nics check?
All they have to do is "Pick up the telephone, then dialed the 7 digits Said, "Yo, this Marquis, baby! Are you down with it?"
View Quote
You know how you said your wife gets delayed on NICS checks?

Well, when that happens with a NFA item apparently the form goes into a pile to be cleared manually

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:46:52 AM EDT
[#34]

You know how you said your wife gets delayed on NICS checks?

Well, when that happens with a NFA item apparently the form goes into a pile to be cleared manually

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/254453/paper-pile_jpg-739444.JPG
View Quote
I think I see mine! it's the one in the trash can  
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
That is my understanding. However, with my circumstance, apparently it had been done for sometime because when I emailed a supervisor, it was approved the next day. I think a large amount are falling through the cracks between the ATF and FBI.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Nfa office is closed due to weather today
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:

That is my understanding. However, with my circumstance, apparently it had been done for sometime because when I emailed a supervisor, it was approved the next day. I think a large amount are falling through the cracks between the ATF and FBI.
View Quote
Who did you e-mail and what did you say in the e-mail?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Nfa office is closed due to weather today
View Quote
Winter storm warning evidently.

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 56cbr600rr:
UPDATE!

I am now approved.  Got the “Proceed” on my Form 1 and 4.  Reaching out for help from a local State representative or congressman is definitely worth your time. Have to say my congressman’s office was awesome as well as my NFA examiners.

View Quote
More details on the back and forth, etc..  Maybe something here can help.  As mentioned previously My local Congressman and his staff (one of his staff members really) reached out to both their ATF and FBI liaisons.  This was for a Form 1 and Form 4 turned in about 2-3 weeks from one another and with different NFA examiners working them.  The Form 4 was pending background check around February and the Form 4 was the first few days of March.  When I called in on these I was told on more that one occasion it was in the FBI's hands now.

Anyways, about 2 weeks ago I figured it's time to dig deeper and try to get some extra help as 14+ months overall is too long.  Reading some of RLunyATL's stuff; and then finding we are in the same district helped a ton too.  The first time I heard back, he said the FBI needed a NICS transaction Number (NTN) as he saw none for my trust and serial numbers.    Eventually the FBI liaison said it appeared my info on both Form's were "PURGED".  Truthfully don't know what that means in this instance, but he did clarify he saw nothing in regards to my trust, a background check, or my trust name.  The FBI rep advised me to ask my NFA examiners to do something called a "Recheck" which would generate new NTN's.  I called back my Form 4 examiner and she said no problem at all and it could take a few days.  Roughly 2 hours later I had the chance to call my Form 1 examiner to do the same thing and he said sure as well.

About an hour later my Form 1 examiner called and said it looked like my Form 4 examiner rechecked both my items, spoke to a supervisor, got background done, and everything approved.  He was somewhat surprised, as was I.  He said he'd have my stamp out no later than Wednesday, this was Monday.

I'm still pretty sure having my local state rep helped a ton.  He was incredibly helpful and always kept me in the loop; which is amazing with all the elections going on.  Also, I have to say that both my examiners were friendly and helpful as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#41]
AOW came back, approved a day after the Surefire
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#42]
AOW came back, approved a day after the Surefire
View Quote
What did you get?

I just bought a Mossberg 7" AOW.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

What did you get?

I just bought a Mossberg 7" AOW.
View Quote
Samesies
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got a random call from my LGS, my suppressor is ready to be picked up! Guess contacting my representative worked!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#46]
What did you actually say to him/her when you called?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By leib109:
Just got a random call from my LGS, my suppressor is ready to be picked up! Guess contacting my representative worked!
What did you actually say to him/her when you called?
That's been asked and answered a couple times in this thread:

Just write an honest letter
We probably need a sticky for this but the main points are:
-You paid $XXX in transfer taxes to the ATF x months ago.
-That youre a law abiding citizen trying to follow the law and process.
-The ATF has informed you that the FBI is stuck processing your background check
-That you know its a NICS check and that it is taken longer than requires (with NTN if you can)
-Let them know both agencies are pointing fingers at one another and you need the reps help to resolve.

Its that straight forward. A staffer usually handles it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Another representative success story:

My last 8 suppressors have all been through BGC hell - 4 of them took a total of 10 months. 2 took 12 months. I had another 2 pending that I submitted in early March 2018 so I decided to try contacting a rep this time.

Based on NFA timelines I first found out that these 2 were in BGC hell around Oct 1. They could have been in there a little longer but that was the date of the first phone call I made on them and got the BGC status. I then waiting another month to make sure I was in purgatory before contacting my rep. Timeline is as follows:

03/12 - Applications received by ATF and pending
10/1 - First call to check status - status is "Pending BGC"
11/1 - Called again, same status "Waiting on FBI BGC"
11/1 - Wrote email to Rep from his website (This is right before election so didn't expect timely response)
11/8 - Right after election, received a phone call from Rep's office along with an email for privacy release forms
11/9 - Responded with privacy release forms
11/19 - Received response from Rep's office that they heard back from the FBI and the FBI processed the BGC on the 15th
11/19 - Called ATF to check status, both were approved today (11/19)

Of course I'm annoyed that we have to go through this in the first place, but it's nice to have another success story. I'm sure these 2 would have gone ~10-12 months with no intervention like my last 6 did. I have another 9 cans to get submitted so I'll stay on top of them and this time not wait a month, I'll be contacting my rep again the very first time I hear "waiting on FBI".
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I could swear that when I picked up my first suppressor a month or two ago, the dealer ran another background check.  I think it’s required for the 4473 that get filled out, and the fact that it had been a couple of weeks since the stamp was approved, plus who know how long before that the ATF background check was.  Could have become a criminal during that time, I guess.

I was under the impression a background check was only good for that moment in time.  You can run multiple items under one background check, but today’s background check isn’t good for tomorrow, next week, or next month.  I’ve never seen any documentation saying how long a check is good for.  Is it written down anywhere?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I still find it odd that any rep would want to help someone get a scary silencer. If anything were to happen with that item and it gets out that they made the FBI rush the background check it's game over for them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Commando223:
I still find it odd that any rep would want to help someone get a scary silencer. If anything were to happen with that item and it gets out that they made the FBI rush the background check it's game over for them.
View Quote
They're not making them rush - they're making them do their job.

FBI has no charter to sit on NICS checks, and doing so is against the written law and intent of the NICS system.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top