Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2021 12:15:38 AM EDT
1938 Mauser Werke AG, Oberndorf K98 without import marks. Includes capture papers from South Vietnam, transfer paper to named US officer and acceptance paperwork (3 papers). I bought it from the Officers son. I’m not sure what to value it at. It’s a Russian capture that they gave to the VietCong. It’s gorgeous without a spot of rust but had a bullet hole through the stock that the son said his dad patched. It also had some damage (another bullet?) into the bottom of the grip and he put a little sporting rifle grip plate on it.

What should I value something like this with the paperwork it has with it? Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Photo of capture docs please.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The sporterized stock will definitely affect the value.

Is it matching?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Good news is there are a lot of k98 surplus stocks around for some reason at different vendors right now.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good news is there are a lot of k98 surplus stocks around for some reason at different vendors right now.

View Quote

It has an obvious patched bullet hole that doesn’t affect the structure. I think that needs to stay. I’ll get pics of the papers later.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Do the number match?

Pics of bolt.

Also, post here and look here for the best information available:

https://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Would have been interesting to see the stock before it was repaired.

Somebody felt it was the right thing to bubba it and I suppose at the time it sort of was the right thing to do.

Shame it wasn't just oiled up and stuck in the back of a closet , kind of makes me wonder what it could have been worth if it was still in as brought home condition.

Classic old gun captured twice!

Also interesting to think how that old mauser would have rocked some 95lb North Viet guy when he touched the trigger
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Here are better pics of paperwork and bullet hole (patched) through stock. I’d assume at the time he just wanted to fix the combat damage on it once he brought it home so he could use it. Not a spot of rust on the gun. Barrel and action match s/n but others don’t.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#12]
That wouldn't the original stock for that early of a 98 in any case. Im guessing one of the RC's that found its way to Vietnam.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That wouldn't the original stock for that early of a 98 in any case. Im guessing one of the RC's that found its way to Vietnam.
View Quote

Exactly what happened. Russians sent it to help out their buddies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I had about 30-40 RC 98ks in Iraq in '07.
From junk to mint. Prewar to swp 45s

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is there any way to bring those back?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had about 30-40 RC 98ks in Iraq in '07.
From junk to mint. Prewar to swp 45s

Is there any way to bring those back?
Nope... those were torched.
All I got back was some cleaning rods and brought home all the front sight blades :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is a bummer!
View Quote

I pull an MP-40 off a guy in 2006. It was in pretty good shape, I think the part that I found most surprising, at the time, was the fact that he actually had a few magazines for it. Not only did it seem strange to find an MP-40 but enough mags in working order to get the job done. Unfortunately I only had it in my had long enough to look it over pretty quick.

Pretty cool rifle OP, the papers make it seem like it was a random selected rifle by the supply department and then "issued" as a trophy.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I pull an MP-40 off a guy in 2006. It was in pretty good shape, I think the part that I found most surprising, at the time, was the fact that he actually had a few magazines for it. Not only did it seem strange to find an MP-40 but enough mags in working order to get the job done. Unfortunately I only had it in my had long enough to look it over pretty quick.

Pretty cool rifle OP, the papers make it seem like it was a random selected rifle by the supply department and then "issued" as a trophy.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a bummer!

Yep. Seized or captured by the South Vietnamese Army and he got to pick it out. Actually captured in combat by Rep of Vietnam. Not Gray. The bullet hole was straight through before Gray filled in in after he got it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top