BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:
I have the front Garmin Dash Cam Mini up and running.  After testing it out I'm going to add the rear camera.  The Garmin App will automatically sync the feeds picture-in-picture with multiple cameras.

It is mounted in my F-350 just below the rear view mirror attachment point.  I have the hardwire kit running under the headliner and A-pillar down to the power taps (always on/switched) in the passenger kick panel.

Remember, YouTube video quality is significantly lower than the raw video off of the SD card. I also turned off the audio so y'all don't have to listen to my country music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS1EkAdfF5w

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69748/image000000_29_jpg-1016627.JPG
View Quote
That footage looks great and very comparable to my A129 image quality. I like the fact that the Garmin unit is much smaller and thus more discreet than my current cam. Have you had any issues with it yet? Also, whenever you add the second one please update the thread with new footage.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By smoke14me:

That footage looks great and very comparable to my A129 image quality. I like the fact that the Garmin unit is much smaller and thus more discreet than my current cam. Have you had any issues with it yet? Also, whenever you add the second one please update the thread with new footage.
View Quote
No issues.

The app is a little wonky- you can view your footage and trim it down to download but of course you're doing small-scale video editing on a phone so it is a little laggy.  You could always use a USB or a card reader if you wanted to.

I haven't lost any footage or anything, so whatever.  I look at it like the fire extinguisher or the trauma kit in the F350.  As long as it's there if I need it I'm good to go.

Judging simply by specs alone the Dash Cam Mini isn't the best of the Garmin offerings but I like the small size and the plug it in and forget it nature.  And it really is tiny.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a completely boring video with audio and a couple bits of rain in case anyone is curious about the audio quality.

Garmin Dash Cam Mini w/audio

The rattle you hear is on my keychain.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
And some night footage.

Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I discovered my Viofo stopped recording a year ago, and this week the display went wonky. That means is failed after 1 year of use.

Any recommendations for a good dash cam that will last more than 12-18 months?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
A couple of months ago, I picked up a Blackvue 4K 900S-2CH model, from Blackboxmycar.com. This is a dual channel set from Blackvue, with a 4K camera in the front and a 1080P camera in the rear. I hard wired it into my 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV, basically a Holden Statesman/Commodore imported from Australia and sold as a police cruiser. It has a secondary car battery to run all the cop gear. So, I hard wired the cameras into this secondary battery circuit using Blackvue's Power Magic Pro. This lets the camera continue to run in parking mode and shuts off automatically if the battery voltage drops below a certain point. I can leave it running all night and it never reaches the voltage cutoff.

This is a quick one minute video with the front 4K camera. YouTube compresses it somewhat. Change the YouTube settings to the 2160/4k setting. As it goes through the parking lot, pause the video and you can read nearly all the license plates, even at off angles. This is the clearest dash cam I've ever had.

Both cameras write to one Micro SD card, and Blackvue's are notorious for being very picky on the cards. You can buy the Blackvue brand, but they're ridiculously expensive. I've had very good success with the Lexar 633x and Lexar 1000x cards. You want to make sure your using a high endurance, professional grade card. Those cheapo Sandisks can't keep up and the camera will restart repeatedly.

Blackvue 900S-2CH 4K dashcam video sample
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
A couple of months ago, I picked up a Blackvue 4K 900S-2CH model, from Blackboxmycar.com. This is a dual channel set from Blackvue, with a 4K camera in the front and a 1080P camera in the rear. I hard wired it into my 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV, basically a Holden Statesman/Commodore imported from Australia and sold as a police cruiser. It has a secondary car battery to run all the cop gear. So, I hard wired the cameras into this secondary battery circuit using Blackvue's Power Magic Pro. This lets the camera continue to run in parking mode and shuts off automatically if the battery voltage drops below a certain point. I can leave it running all night and it never reaches the voltage cutoff.

This is a quick one minute video with the front 4K camera. YouTube compresses it somewhat. Change the YouTube settings to the 2160/4k setting. As it goes through the parking lot, pause the video and you can read nearly all the license plates, even at off angles. This is the clearest dash cam I've ever had.

Both cameras write to one Micro SD card, and Blackvue's are notorious for being very picky on the cards. You can buy the Blackvue brand, but they're ridiculously expensive. I've had very good success with the Lexar 633x and Lexar 1000x cards. You want to make sure your using a high endurance, professional grade card. Those cheapo Sandisks can't keep up and the camera will restart repeatedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqUJ8qXgvmw
View Quote
@Sartorius
Have you used the 2 way voice with this item?
If so, how well and clear does it work?
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the smallest SD Card size should one get?
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JThompson:
What is the smallest SD Card size should one get?
View Quote
Get the biggest your camera will accept.  Memory is so cheap it's a no brainier.  I have 256Gb cards in each of mine.

Also, some cameras are super sensitive about card quality.  I went with SanDisk Extreme class 10.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#11]
Originally Posted By smoke14me:

Also, whenever you add the second one please update the thread with new footage.
View Quote
Yeah, about that.  I forgot.

Here you go (no audio- I was listening to a Clancy audiobook and don't want our YouTube overlords to copyright strike it).

Also, I cleaned my windshield last night after this was recorded. And whenever I get around to it I need to move the rear camera up or down maybe 5mm to clear the defroster line.

Garmin Dash Cam Mini Front and Rear
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JThompson:

@Sartorius
Have you used the 2 way voice with this item?
If so, how well and clear does it work?
View Quote
I have not tried the 2 way voice feature.

@JThompson
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I am in need of a dash camera. Below are the features that I am wanting.

Front windshield and rear windshield views from vehicle
4K recording
High quality night time recording(for roads with no street lights)
150 degrees or greater field of view in the front

Can someone please help me out?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wjwill:

4K recording

View Quote
Blackvue DR-900S. 1 channel or 2 channel. The front channel is 4K. The rear is 1080p. I've been running the 2 channel in my daily driver for the last few months, including a 1300 mile trip to Phoenix last week. I've been very happy with the quality.

Looks like Thinkware and Viofo have 4K cameras too, but I don't know anything about them.

I bought mine from these guys. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/4k-dash-cams
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the front Garmin Dash Cam Mini up and running.  After testing it out I'm going to add the rear camera.  The Garmin App will automatically sync the feeds picture-in-picture with multiple cameras.

It is mounted in my F-350 just below the rear view mirror attachment point.  I have the hardwire kit running under the headliner and A-pillar down to the power taps (always on/switched) in the passenger kick panel.

Remember, YouTube video quality is significantly lower than the raw video off of the SD card. I also turned off the audio so y'all don't have to listen to my country music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS1EkAdfF5w

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69748/image000000_29_jpg-1016627.JPG
View Quote
Just to clarify, your camera is always on? What's the longest you have left your vehicle off, and not had any issues starting?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By vjf915:

Just to clarify, your camera is always on? What's the longest you have left your vehicle off, and not had any issues starting?
View Quote
The hardwire kit supposedly has a voltage drop protection feature- if voltage drops below some threshold the cameras turn off.  The longest I've left my truck parked is 6 days.

Then again it's an F350 with dual alternators and dual 850 amp batteries.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#17]

The hardwire kit supposedly has a voltage drop protection feature- if voltage drops below some threshold the cameras turn off.  The longest I've left my truck parked is 6 days.

Then again it's an F350 with dual alternators and dual 850 amp batteries.
View Quote
Damn. My electrical system isn't nearly as robust, and the vehicle typically sits for about that long on a regular basis. I'll have to try and find a different circuit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Damn. My electrical system isn't nearly as robust, and the vehicle typically sits for about that long on a regular basis. I'll have to try and find a different circuit.
View Quote
Blackvue's Power Magic Pro does this easily. It has a cigarette lighter socket, in which you plug your dash cam. It was a hot wire, switched wire and ground wire. You hard wire each of those 3 to the appropriate car wiring or a grounded point on the body. Using switches, you can set the PMP to allow power to continue to flow when the ignition is turned off and can set the power to be disconnected to the camera when a certain voltage drop is reached. It's made for any passenger car, not just a dual battery, high amp alternator setup.

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Well supposedly you can install it and forget it because of the hardwire kit voltage protection.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Blackvue DR-900S. 1 channel or 2 channel. The front channel is 4K. The rear is 1080p. I've been running the 2 channel in my daily driver for the last few months, including a 1300 mile trip to Phoenix last week. I've been very happy with the quality.

Looks like Thinkware and Viofo have 4K cameras too, but I don't know anything about them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wjwill:

4K recording

+1 for Blackvue and blackboxmycar.com I have a single camera DR750S cloud/WiFi camera and the Power Magic EZ plugged into my OBDII port. The logic in the Power Magic box will shut down the camera at the user prescribed battery voltage or time duration. I've been very satisfied with my purchase.
I can view my dash camera from my Livingroom while its connected to my home network, download footage to my phone, or upload it to the cloud.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Can any Blackvue users tell me if the camera will rotate independently from the mount?  I want to mount mine on my dash, instead of hanging from the windshield, so the mount would have to be 180* from the "normal" position.  I don't want upside-down video...

I'm looking at the DR590W
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ATC:
Can any Blackvue users tell me if the camera will rotate independently from the mount?  I want to mount mine on my dash, instead of hanging from the windshield, so the mount would have to be 180* from the "normal" position.  I don't want upside-down video...

I'm looking at the DR590W
View Quote
I don't have that camera, so not sure. However, my 900S firmware settings include options for Front Camera rotation and Rear Camera rotations, with the options being "default", "rotate video 180" or "mirror video".

BlackVue does state that the video of any of their dashcams and be flipped and rotated up/down and left/right during playback with the free BlackVue PC viewer software.

https://helpcenter.blackvue.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/239387008-Flip-rotate-front-picture-
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for that.  I ordered it the day after I posted that and said the hell with it...I guess I'll just put it on the windshield
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#25]
What’s the best way/kit to hard wire a Garmin mini?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
What's the best way/kit to hard wire a Garmin mini?
View Quote

Garmin or eBay ChiCom hardwire kit using fuse taps.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Garmin or eBay ChiCom hardwire kit using fuse taps.
View Quote

Thanks!  Didn’t know if there was an easy home brew option or of those kits were about it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked up a Garmin Mini and man am I impressed.  For the cost its awesome.  Sure it doesnt have some of the features as others but I didn't need those or dont think I do yet on my entry into the dash cam arena.  The parking cable kit came in today so going to install that this weekend.

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#29]
My Rexing S300 has been going strong since 2/17, but it seems to be glitching lately. Works fine while the vehicle is on, but when I turn the car off, it seems to want to turn on/off like it can't complete the power down cycle. It is hard-wired with the fuse block kit, but I think this is in the dash cam itself. I did recently replace the micro SD card, which may be messing with settings. I'm going to try a hard reset and see what that does. Otherwise, I might be looking for a new dash cam.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Picked up a Garmin Mini and man am I impressed.  For the cost its awesome.  Sure it doesnt have some of the features as others but I didn't need those or dont think I do yet on my entry into the dash cam arena.  The parking cable kit came in today so going to install that this weekend.

View Quote

Please update when you finish install (pics would be nice )
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:52:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: green_bullet] [#31]

Looks like my choices are Viofo 129 Pro, Rexing V5, or Garmin 57W. It will go into a Jeep Gladiator/Wrangler. Intended use is to catch license plates for collision related matters. I

Currently using a GoPro 8 and its pretty good but manually turning on/off is a pain and lately the card keeps getting corrupted. I like the Garmin but it is not 4K.

Are there any 4K 60fps cams?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#32]
What is a good 2 channel dash cam that will handle Florida heat?

The last 2 I bought from Best Buy died in a rear or 2, 1 Uniden and 1 Cobra brand.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:46:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#33]
Garmin has been working well at least 2 years now here in Texas.

Edit:  Sorry, didn't see 2 channel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Skinnywater:
What is a good 2 channel dash cam that will handle Florida heat?

The last 2 I bought from Best Buy died in a rear or 2, 1 Uniden and 1 Cobra brand.
View Quote

The Garmin Minis I've posted about are in my black pickup in Houston heat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Interesting dash camera review. Gets into the sensors and processors at the end.

Almost EVERYONE is Wasting Money on Dash Cams.
Almost EVERYONE is Wasting Money on Dash Cams.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#36]
After 6 years, the Rexing S300 looks like it's finally giving up the ghost. Corrupted files, losing time and date data, etc. Time to go back through this thread and bone up.on the new hotness in dashcams.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Viofo A119, time is off
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Changed:
Viofo A119, time is off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClWte8PUiD8
View Quote

Looks about the same as the s300, which is fine. After watching the video above, seems like all those will be adequate. Probably a matter of waiting for the Amazon price to drop.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Amazon had lightning deals for the A119 V3, so I got one coming with a Samsunf Max Endurance 128GB card and an adapter for my Ram 1500 to plug into a port in the rearview mirror cluster. So, won't need to run a cable to a fuse box and try to hide wiring.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Super-cheap dash cam if you just want to try one out.  $17ish after 50% off coupon and then code 658ZR3X5 at checkout
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Tagged, hoping for some of the latest tech upgrades and suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#42]
"With God as my witness I throught turkeys turkey vultures could fly"
World's Slowest Turkey Vulture
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:03:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smoke14me] [#44]
Originally Posted By MRW:
The suction cup models don't last in the orlando sunshine.  It will easily get 125 degrees in my car, even with the sunshade.

is there a recommended camera that will hard mount to the rear view mirror post, or something else solid?
View Quote

Depending on the vehicle and camera blendmount makes some nice mounts. Also, instead of suction you could try a mount / camera that uses the 3M double sided tape like VIOFO uses on their A119 and other models.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#45]
It's the dash-cam obligation.  Gave my info to the guy in the pickup and he already contacted me to get the video.  The grey SUV was also hit.  White truck guy claimed some kind of mechanical problem but looks to me like he fell asleep.  At least he was cooperating.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Just installed Viofo A129 Plus Duo cam with CPL filter and hardwired via ACC the Thinkware ivolt mini external dashcam battery. Running good so far. I like the 16 hours of battery for both cams after only 45 min of driving. Still gotta tweak the settings. Low bitrate for overnight parking. Samsung Pro Endurance card. Yes, I consider it necessary for filming in parking mode because my car seems to be a magnet for scooters and motorbikes riding on the sidewalks here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Just got my Jeep back from the tint shop.

I’m having second thoughts about the using the 3M adhesive pad on the window film (Llumar AIR 90). It’s an Anker ROAV S1, now discontinued, and if I have to replace it, I’d have to take off the 3M pad.

Are there any cameras that mount to a rail system like a Ram Mount?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quite a light show heading home tonight
Page / 22
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top