Idealistically: M60

More realistically: M1 Garand

Probably: Remington 11-87
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This may be the one and only tactical reason to own a Desert Eagle .50

If it jams, I guess you could always grab the barrel and beat yourself with it and hope you black out before the bear gets on top of you.

if? don't you mean WHEN it jams?
personally i carried a S&w .44 magnum or a .12ga loaded with 3" magnum slugs whenever i have ventured into "bar" country.

Anyone who consistently jams a DE doesn't know how to shoot one.  There are rules.  That aside, in the end, I'd rather use an Mossberg 590.  More shells.  If one can't deter a charging bear with 8/9 blasts from a 12 gauge, then...

BUT, like Sniper_Wolfe just said, ideally, an m60 would be most welcome when confronted by Mr. Bear
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
All you need is a 22lr.

Shoot your buddy in the knee then haul ass.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All you need is a 22lr.

now THAT'S funny.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All you need is a 22lr.

now THAT'S funny.

Well, I'm never going hunting with Attman!
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#6]
wow  i didn't think this post would do so good.  But now i am curious about something.  I am going to post a new one asking which weapon/ammo...
thanks to all...
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
You could always toss a couple frag grenades in the bears general direction...
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Use the bear spray.

Link Posted: 4/15/2002 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Bear Spray works great!!  I love it!!   How about pepper spray??
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've got some pics to post but can only get the text to come up.  They are some great pics of a young Airman from Elmendorf AFB, AK. that was attacked by a huge brown bear this past fall.  He shot the bear but apparently had to forfiet the hide as he had no tag for a brown bear.  I would appreciate any help getting the pics posted.  Some have seen these but I'm sure there are plenty that have not.  Thanks for any help.

Email me the pics or send me the links and I'll help ya.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Well my .458 TROMIX upper with 15 rounds of 300gr Barnes X should dispatch a bear just fine!

Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
All you need is a 22lr.

now THAT'S funny.

Geez, it wouldn't be a problem unless the bear showed up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got some pics to post but can only get the text to come up.  They are some great pics of a young Airman from Elmendorf AFB, AK. that was attacked by a huge brown bear this past fall.  He shot the bear but apparently had to forfiet the hide as he had no tag for a brown bear.  I would appreciate any help getting the pics posted.  Some have seen these but I'm sure there are plenty that have not.  Thanks for any help.

thanks Blammo.  pics are on their way.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, only your friend. I cannot think of the comercial that covered this topic a couple of years back, but it ran during baseball games all season.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Some dude killed a large brown bear in Alaska several years ago with a Buck Knife.

Chuck Adams killled a 1400 lb Grizz at 14 yards with a bow.  That musta been exciting.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
All you need is a 22lr.

now THAT'S funny.

Geez, it wouldn't be a problem unless the bear showed up.

No hog hunting for Attman either

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks Blammo.  pics are on their way.

is this the story you were refering too?

www.adn.com/outdoors/story/739717p-787512c.html
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, that's the right story.  A2cat-man is having trouble posting, so he emailed me this link to an AR15.com thread authored by the shooter:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=71356
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#19]
GREAT JOB BLAMMO!!   Those are the pics and article I was referring to.  Thanks much for the help.

I didn't know it had been posted here in the past.  Oh well, it should be a good answer to the M-16 for brown bear question.  .338WM and .300WM look like they do the job very nicely.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe that foul smell in your pants would be enough for him to leave you alone.  If not BLAST AWAY.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Bears can be taken by most any round, with proper shot placement.   However you never never face a bear of any type, without the proper fire power on your side.   12 ga, .44 mags ect, are good choices only for those that train with them, so train as often as you can.  
As a police officer on Alaska's North Slope, I know that locals have used .223's to kill polar bears.   This may not be of choice, but rather out of necessity.   For those that think "Bear Spray" works, I just say do not bet your life on it.   My choice is a hand loaded 45-70, or 12 ga slugs.    
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This may be the one and only tactical reason to own a Desert Eagle .50

If it jams, I guess you could always grab the barrel and beat yourself with it and hope you black out before the bear gets on top of you.

if? don't you mean WHEN it jams?

I've never had a problem with DEs and jams.  You may have gotten a lemon, or you may not be "doing it right."
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I love my DE50...in fact, I think I'm going over to the gunsafe right now just to admire it.

"Hello guys, how's it going?"

Is it sketchy to converse with your firearms?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#24]
A2cat-man and Arcticbear have given the best advice.  I hunt every other year either up along the Yukon River or over near Northway.  Mostly for ducks and moose and yet, after 18 years, have not seen anything bear like excepting for tracks.  Anyway, my son lives in Fairbanks and hunts each season.  He carries a .300 Win. Mag., a .44 mag. and a .22.  The .22 is for ptarmigan...  not the bear's eyes or his buddy's knee caps.  Just my $.02
W
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
GREAT JOB BLAMMO!!   Those are the pics and article I was referring to.  Thanks much for the help.

I didn't know it had been posted here in the past.  Oh well, it should be a good answer to the M-16 for brown bear question.  .338WM and .300WM look like they do the job very nicely.

Thanks, but I really can't take the credit.  Another member kindly emailed me the link and I assumed it was coming from you.  I'd like to give that person proper credit, but I'm not sure what his screen name is and don't know if he'd feel comfortable with his name being posted.

What really sucks is that the guy didn't get to keep the pelt because he didn't have a bear tag.  I would LOVE to have that pelt on my floor!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#26]

The bear would never catch me because he would be slipping on the sh** running out of my pant legs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#27]
thanks to all that replied.  Looks like 12 gauge slugs are the best bet.  

Mortis...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top