Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldnt buy anything made by DSA.  That company is a joke.  Maybe if you got your hands on an older one or something, I could see that being worth it, but even then Id go for something else.

I had an older DSA that was nice, but I sold it for a SCAR 17.  I would have liked to have both, but even owning something with DSA's name on it left a bad taste in my mouth so I got rid of it.  Im glad I did too.  FALs are great guns... but the SCAR is seriously amazing.  If I had both, I wouldnt have touched the DSA FAL again anyway.

If price is an issue and you dont want to spend the money on a SCAR, my next choice would be the M1A.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is still a bunch of proprietary stuff but it seems like the market is going in the direction of SR-25 pattern parts. The problem I have found is that bolts and chambers across manufactures don't really seem to jive. My Buddy and I went through about 5 or 6 barrel/bolt combinations before we ditched the AR-10 altogether. We either could not get the guns to headspace properly or even if we did we would have numerous signs of overpressure. I'd consider getting a KAC, LMT, or Colt factory gun in the future but I will not waste another dime trying to build one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Little hijack..
What is the status of current AR10 style rifles as far as propietary & Common parts etc?
I know years ago there was not an official standard pattern with 3 major designs (for BCG, mags, barrels,): kac, armalite and the more recent colt 901.. Has the situation changed? Or do every different brand still use its own parts?
There is still a bunch of proprietary stuff but it seems like the market is going in the direction of SR-25 pattern parts. The problem I have found is that bolts and chambers across manufactures don't really seem to jive. My Buddy and I went through about 5 or 6 barrel/bolt combinations before we ditched the AR-10 altogether. We either could not get the guns to headspace properly or even if we did we would have numerous signs of overpressure. I'd consider getting a KAC, LMT, or Colt factory gun in the future but I will not waste another dime trying to build one.

This is one of the reasons I was only shopping for factory guns and had no interest in building one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
My vote would be the Robinson XCR-M
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Little hijack..
What is the status of current AR10 style rifles as far as propietary & Common parts etc?
I know years ago there was not an official standard pattern with 3 major designs (for BCG, mags, barrels,): kac, armalite and the more recent colt 901.. Has the situation changed? Or do every different brand still use its own parts?
View Quote

SR25 pattern seems to run supreme when building. I used a Mega MaTen setup, with a RCA BCG and everything went together perfect.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have one...or are you suggesting it just because you they're from UT as well?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a FAL, currently have a SCAR17, sr25emc, xcr-m, and had an armalite ar10. Oh and a hk51 clone and a DSA fal osw...
For the money at current market prices, the XCR-M is a great value if you get it with keymod. Extremely lightweight, adjustable gas, excellent buttstock, incredible stock trigger for a factory battle rifle, and zero issues running suppressed or unsuppressed. Decent accuracy too. My gripe with robinson is the potential for support to die off if they discontinue the gun. Robinson is notorious for that, but they did this gun well. Recoil is very soft once you figure out your gas settings. Very easy to tear down and clean, barrels are easy to swap. FULL ambi controls, to include selector, mag release, and bolt release. This gun was well thought out and I'll probably sell it last compared to my other 308s.
My only reason for liking the scar17 more is its lighter weight and aftermarket support. But the fact it has aftermarket parts available kidna says something that crap can be improved. Stock trigger sucks and is garbage compared to ar 308s and the XCR-M.  Handguards could be better. Buttstock sucks, swap it out for an ACR buttstock if you can.
The SR-25emc is great, but on the fat piggy side and a price point that is hard to digest. But its sexy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm thinking DSA FAL, but what would you like to get or have?

View Quote

I went the DSA FAL and the LRB M14 route.

I love them both. Althought the M14 was more expensive and took more leg work because I went with all TRW parts.

I have never had any isues with my DSA, although it is a much older purchase.

I also have an M1 Garand chambered in .308 which is a wonderful gun as well.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wouldnt buy anything made by DSA.  That company is a joke.  Maybe if you got your hands on an older one or something, I could see that being worth it, but even then Id go for something else.

I had an older DSA that was nice, but I sold it for a SCAR 17.  I would have liked to have both, but even owning something with DSA's name on it left a bad taste in my mouth so I got rid of it.  Im glad I did too.  FALs are great guns... but the SCAR is seriously amazing.  If I had both, I wouldnt have touched the DSA FAL again anyway.

If price is an issue and you dont want to spend the money on a SCAR, my next choice would be the M1A.
View Quote

I've built four kits using their receivers, and have bought a Para and some small parts. All work just fine. They have their issues, but they're the only real option for a US FAL supplier.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Alle von Ihnen machen schlechte Entscheidungen, und Sie sollten sich schlecht fühlen.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
308 AR. Pick one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh my God - it sucks.  The controls are design for People with 8" long fingers.  The trigger is wretched.  The recoil is abusive.  The ones I shot jammed.  The ones I watched other people shoot - jammed.  The sights are crap.   For the love of God, it doesn't even lock the bolt open on the last shot.   I can't remember the accuracy being anything to write home about.  The flutted chamber is a solution looking for a problem, but it's a great way to wreck your brass (assuming it survives the slamming against the sheet metal and 20' launch that is).  Nobody else needs a fluted chamber to work.  It's cheap shit stamped sheet metal - for $2000.  Worst .308 platform out there.  

It does look cool, and has the nifty front cocking system that you can slap and look cool doing it - so there's that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The HK G3 is a complete POS.  Just run away, it's a dog.

It's not the best ever but a POS?

Care to explain why ?

Oh my God - it sucks.  The controls are design for People with 8" long fingers.  The trigger is wretched.  The recoil is abusive.  The ones I shot jammed.  The ones I watched other people shoot - jammed.  The sights are crap.   For the love of God, it doesn't even lock the bolt open on the last shot.   I can't remember the accuracy being anything to write home about.  The flutted chamber is a solution looking for a problem, but it's a great way to wreck your brass (assuming it survives the slamming against the sheet metal and 20' launch that is).  Nobody else needs a fluted chamber to work.  It's cheap shit stamped sheet metal - for $2000.  Worst .308 platform out there.  

It does look cool, and has the nifty front cocking system that you can slap and look cool doing it - so there's that.

You have either experienced bottom-feeding G3 clones or you are full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you have one...or are you suggesting it just because you they're from UT as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 6 of them
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah...

The fluted chamber is the solution which ensures reliable extraction without case separation. It's rare to find a delayed-blowback design without chamber fluting. Even the SVT-40 had some fluting, and it's gas piston operated. The fluting does not "wreck your brass". It's perfectly reloadable despite the flute impressions.

G3 sights are significantly better than standard FAL sights, but inferior to M14 sights. All military rifles generally come with unimpressive triggers. The M14's is probably best, on average. I have no problem using any of them, and I don't have 8" fingers. The G3 would be better if it had an auto bolt hold-open, but I still prefer it to a FAL with an auto BHO, due to overall factors of weight, sights, and accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm fond of my BM59s from Tim Shufflin

and the FN49

and the FAL

and the Navy Mk2 Mod1

Lots of fun choices!
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to explain why ?

Nope, you're wrong.

I've had the same experience with the HK91 series.  Bought one in the 90's, was as above.  Can't operate the mag button from holding the grip.  Terrible trigger,  Worse recoil than a bolt action - don't know how that can be, but it is.  Mine was reliable, I'll say that.  Didn't like the sights, and you have to buy a 80 dollar tool to adjust them.  Yep, no bolt lock open feature.  And it does launch the brass 20-25 feet out in front of you - I don't reload and haven't hunted for the brass, but that can't be good for the cases.

This was a genuine HK91.  Ended up trading it away.

Today, I shot a buddies HK SR9T.  Seemed like old times, except it did have a fantasic trigger.  Other than that, terrible recoil, poor sights, unimpressive accuracy with the irons and ball ammo - with a scope and buck a shot ammo it probably would have been OK.

The HK series was a fine rifle for the time - about 1960.  It's very dated now and has been badly left in the dust by more modern rifles.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope, you're wrong.

I've had the same experience with the HK91 series.  Bought one in the 90's, was as above.  Can't operate the mag button from holding the grip.  Terrible trigger,  Worse recoil than a bolt action - don't know how that can be, but it is.  Mine was reliable, I'll say that.  Didn't like the sights, and you have to buy a 80 dollar tool to adjust them.  Yep, no bolt lock open feature.  And it does launch the brass 20-25 feet out in front of you - I don't reload and haven't hunted for the brass, but that can't be good for the cases.

Today, I shot a buddies HK SR9T.  Seemed like old times, except it did have a fantasic trigger.  Other than that, terrible recoil, poor sights, unimpressive accuracy with the irons and ball ammo - with a scope and buck a shot ammo it probably would have been OK.

The HK series was a fine rifle for the time - about 1960.  It's very dated now and has been badly left in the dust by more modern rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to explain why ?

Nope, you're wrong.

Lack of the paddle mag release does take away a lot from the design.  The locking pieces can be swapped to help with launching brass and the recoil, however it is still essentially a blowback weapon, albeit a delayed blow back.  

I dig my MP5s and HK53 and have never had issues with either of them in terms of reliabillity or accuracy.  I never threw down for a .308 version as I enjoy my M14s and M1 garands better but if MKE/Zenith brings in a factory G3 I might get one.  For what it is, its a solid rifle.  Is it the best option today, no, but I definitely wouldn't call a factory spec G3 a POS.

All that said, I just built a 308 AR and really like it.  If I had to buy factory I PROBABLY would have gone for the LMT as the L129A1 was exactly what I was looking for, but couldn't really justify the price that I had seen them selling for factory new.  The SCAR 17s are very nice too.  Had the opportunity to play with a SCAR-H while I was AD back at FTCKY which I definitely liked with the 13" option and everyone who had one issued really liked it (however, when pushed it was the round they liked the most not necessarily the system).

Good luck to the OP in his search.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Some comments are really funny..
..lost/damaged brass, crappy trigger or crude iron sights..

These are military weapons designed to be mass produced, issued to the average joe and to go on war! These are just tools not collector pieces..
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This.  

Here's my personal ranking:
1) SCAR
2) AR .3083) SAN SG 751
4) M14
5) G3
6) FAL

Not sure where I'd rank the Valmet and Galil .308's as I haven't held either. Someone let me fire theirs so I'll know. lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SCAR or AR10

All the legacy battle rifles suck in their own ways.
This.  

Here's my personal ranking:
1) SCAR
2) AR .3083) SAN SG 751
4) M14
5) G3
6) FAL

Not sure where I'd rank the Valmet and Galil .308's as I haven't held either. Someone let me fire theirs so I'll know. lol

Have you ever shot it? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I have more rounds through a FAL than every other rifle I have ever owned, combined.  It will always be my first love, and I have shot a GOB of 3 gun with it.  That said, it is a 200 yard gun, even with optics. it is the 308 equivalent of an AK, only harder to make.

HK can suck it, because they hate you.

M14's have AWESOME sights, are hella reliable, but there is no good optic system.  The basset mount is close, but not all that, and the scout mount is only good for red dots, which it cooks.

Armalite pattern AR 308?  Nope, the earlier versions (m14 mag) totally sucked ass.  The reason everyone always crows about how accurate and reliable they are?  Because they are single loading the rounds from the bench.  I understand that there may be someone out there that has an armalite AR 308 that feeds, but that is a unicorn.  And now that they have admitted their mistake and switched to pmags?  Nope, too late, still not forgiving them...

I have several DPMS pattern AR10s and they are the hot ticket.  All of the adaptability of the AR platform, without the pricetag of The "special" ones..  Just be sure to throw away the metal mags and buy Pmags...
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want to mount optics and a suppressor and still have a gun light enough to carry all day and shoot offhand, the SCAR 17 is what you want. As cool as an FAL or an M1A is, they really don't hold a candle to the SCAR.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) SAN SG 751

I have not, just handled one at a show. They'll only import them for government use. I have a SAN SG 551 and love it. The trigger, sights, everything is great. There's no way a .308 version could have worse recoil than a G3 (which I'm also OK with) and the optics rail is low enough to easily mount whatever, so that's why I rated as such. I've never had a problem mounting scopes on M14's with the ARMS 18, they're just high, and a cheek riser is needed. SIG/SAN offers snap-on risers for their folding stocks.

Still, an AR in .308 weighs less, has all kinds of accessories/parts available, has low recoil (especially with tuned gas), and is probably the most cost-effective choice. I think the SCAR has the edge in reliability, and is probably almost as accurate as the best AR .308's. I've only shot a couple SCAR 17's, but they were impressive. It also has the "selected by USSOCOM" endorsement. Price is high though.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]
GAP-10
LMT
Noveske N6

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Some comments are really funny..
..lost/damaged brass, crappy trigger or crude iron sights..

These are military weapons designed to be mass produced, issued to the average joe and to go on war! These are just tools not collector pieces..
View Quote

Nothing funny about any of that, it's all the truth.

What's funny is people making excuses for why the HK91 series is such a poor rifle.  And anytime after the 1989 import ban by the backstabbing GH Bush, they are collector pieces.  I paid 1500 bucks in 1995 for one - thankfully someone else bought it from me for more.  Now, they're 2500 ish for one in good shape.  And for what?  Something that you have to make excuses as to why you can't drop a mag, have the bolt lock open, have a trigger better than a cap gun, have sights that are worth a damn, have sights you can adust without dropping 75 bucks?

No way they're anything but period guns now, for someone who wants a full HK collection.  They've been badly lapped by other .308 rifles.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#25]

So I take it you don't think the HK is better than the FAL?

They're no fun without a paddle mag release, but those can be "added back". Yes the HK91 is a collector's item now, and commands a premium, but so do other rifles which aren't very good, like the FAMAS.

You don't need the correct HK tool to adjust the rear sight. It can be done using a pair of slim-jaw needle nose pliers.

The 2-stage triggers on SAN rifles are great, and they're military issue. Really, every model discussed can be given a great trigger, with some work.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Theyre importing the sg751 in pistol variant now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool! Thank you! https://www.sanswissarms.com/news.html
At $4k, I'd rather get the SCAR.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#28]
[b]

View Quote

I owned a real HK91 for about 20 years, having bought it in about 1981.  The issues reported by the above poster are SPOT ON!!

==The factory trigger measured THIRTEEN pounds before I had Williams Trigger Specialties work on it.
==The rifle's ejection pattern launch brass into the next county (literally 50+ feet with M80 ball ammo) until I installed a genuine HK ejection port buffer.
==The magazine release is horribly unreachable unless you have fingers like E.T.
==The safety is equally unreachable.
==The sights are fine, but do need the special tool or a fine tipped needle nose pliers to adjust, which is a PITA.
==Accuracy was good, but is totally destroyed by the trigger pull.
==Reliability was just fine, even with reloads.
==Reloading for the rifle MANDATES the use of the ejection port buffer.  It also requires the use of relatively fast propellants, because breech unlocking is independent of breech pressures, and using a slow propellant WILL swell the cases to the point of unusability quickly.  Even then, you can only expect 2-3 reloadings before they swell too much.

A final note--I am a short guy, and that damned stock was set up so that the length of pull and the drop caused me to get bopped in the nose regularly.  I cannot imagine a tall or long-armed person having a comfortable shooting position on the rifle.  

Add to that the VERY high recoil impulse due to the weight of the bolt and carrier, and you have a pretty damned unpleasant rifle to shoot.

I sold mine due to all of the above, and never regretted it.   Of all of the .308 autoloading military style rifles, it would be the LAST one I would choose if shopping again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a PTR91. It was a great rifle. VERY, VERY reliable. The trigger was an abomination until Bill Springfield tuned it up to perfection. The mag release was a stretch, but since I never used the rifle to fight a war with or to engage in competition with, speedy reloads didn't define my state of happiness. Accuracy with my reloads was never very impressive - it shot 2.5 MOA with battle ammo reliably. Recoil was mild - markedly less than any bolt-action rifle I've ever owned, and either on-par or less than my old M1a.

The PTR was a great rifle. It just wasn't as accurate as my PSA AR-10 that I built, nor nearly as light.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#30]
6.5 creedmoor AR10. Mine is supersonic out to 1600 yards. I was going to get a SCAR 17 though. I even bought 8 fde mags and 400 rounds of 308.. But then while I was waiting for an fde scar 17 to come and stock I watched this video series on YouTube. About 2 minutes into the first video I had totally forgotten about a SCAR and I'm glad I did. I gladly ate the cost of the mags and ammo I haven't looked back since. The SCAR 17 is a great gun it just didn't do what I wanted to do with it.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/hyiIJxXgDG0?list=PLA8F5OoMoTwFYu03bjpoP4D6x0-7idGV8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:47:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
6.5 creedmoor AR10. Mine is supersonic out to 1600 yards. I was going to get a SCAR 17 though. I even bought 8 fde mags and 400 rounds of 308.. But then while I was waiting for an fde scar 17 to come and stock I watched this video series on YouTube. About 2 minutes into the first video I had totally forgotten about a SCAR and I'm glad I did. I gladly ate the cost of the mags and ammo I haven't looked back since. The SCAR 17 is a great gun it just didn't do what I wanted to do with it.

http://youtu.be/hyiIJxXgDG0?list=PLA8F5OoMoTwFYu03bjpoP4D6x0-7idGV8
View Quote

Let me help you out with that.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:24:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#33]
LMT MWS

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Armalite AR-10 would be my choice.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I have had
3 M1As
2 Hk91
1 STG58C FAL
1 L1A1
1 Armalite AR10B with 2nd gen mags
1 FN SCAR 17S

Kept the Armalite and the SCAR. Sold all the rest.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I like a good Mega arms build. Their receiver sets seem a cut above the rest. Here's mine it isn't a 308 though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#37]

I like both setups. There's something about the simplicity and lightweight of the red dot that I like, but the variable makes a lot more sense on a .308. I'm still torn on which way to keep it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#38]
16" OBR and a 14.5 PredatOBR. Another 18" PredatOBR on order.

I have a 12" Aero that I'm trying to get running but haven't had time to jack with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

horrible choice

limited mags, shitty ergos and terrible platform for optics

OP AR10 platform
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These days I'd go Vepr.

I went PSL in 7.62x54R.

horrible choice

OP AR10 platform

The ergos are perfect for me. The balance is quite nice as well. They're lightweight compared to most AR based guns.

The mags are no big deal. Buy a few with it.

Optics are no big deal. Add a side mount rail or use a Russian optic.

I don't need a bunch of shit all over a rifle, so it works for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The ergos are perfect for me. The balance is quite nice as well. They're lightweight compared to most AR based guns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These days I'd go Vepr.

I went PSL in 7.62x54R.

horrible choice

OP AR10 platform

And during the last panic, it was the only ammo I'd see on shelves.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:48:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Over a year of deliberating on this particular question. Came down to an LMT MWS or Colt 901. Liked the balance of the 901 much better upon handling them, and that among other reasons finally tipped it.

Settled on the Colt LE901-16SE. Very happy with that decision.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Can't be.  I don't see it.  

Don't you know the rulez?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Can't be.  I don't see it.  

Don't you know the rulez?
View Quote

Here you go.

In stabby configuration:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top