BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see any difference in accuracy full length sizing with the X-Dies vs any other full length die.

I don't know about "bump" dies but have a ton of experience neck only sizing. Neck only sizing doesn't make casings grow and does improve accuracy but neck only sizing is not recommended for semiautomatics, pump or lever action rifles for obvious reasons.

So if you need to full length size why not do it with a die that's as good as any standard full length sizing die and negates the need to trim.

If you want to get started using your X-Dies and are not sure about the set up feel free to send me a PM. Once you understand the reason for the initial trimming using the die and prepping other brass which you've already sized and prepped for use with your X-Dies is easy.

Motor
View Quote
You motivated me to set it up earlier tonight. 

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Picking brass up at the range.
I used to live for this.  When I was living in Alaska, I was working out of town for a while and there was a range nearby.  I had nothing better to do after work so I spent many hours there.  It was great right after the BLM, not the bad one, Park cops and Troopers would have a shoot during the day.  They didn't pick up anything.  There was also a range 3 miles from my house and it seemed like no one picked up their brass there.  Living in TN now and it seems like everyone picks up their brass at the range I use here.  I usually only get my own brass back there.  If I'm lucky.  

And yea, trimming sucks.  

ETA: I haven't found a way to make it fun yet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Trimming. I have a system that allows me to go through brass fairly quickly but I still dislike it.

I have no tips on how to make it more fun, otherwise it would already be more fun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to be trimming, but a Dillon RT1200 took care of that on the LNLAP.  

Now the worst is changing out calibers on the RT1200.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
DE priming. DE capping. Whatever you call it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:55:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You motivated me to set it up earlier tonight. 

View Quote
The nice thing about "switching" to the X-Dies is you already have full length sizing die. So you never need to change the set up on your X-Die after you set it up.

Any brass that you already have sized you simply trim to "X-Dies" trim length. Any brass that needs sized and is not "X-Die ready" you simply size with your regular full length sizing die, trim to X-Die trim length and now it's X-Die ready.

If you are starting out with X-Dies only every time you size brass for the first time you need to back off the "X" feature so that the case mouth does not run into it. Then after they are sized and trimmed to X-Die trim length you need to re-set the "X" feature.

When I switch to X-Dies I always buy the set too because having an extra bullet seating die comes in handy and compared to buying the X-Die sizing die by itself the set is a bargain.

I've only bought the "standard" full length X-Die set. They do make them in small base version but so far in 32+ years of reloading I've never needed small base dies. But I haven't loaded much ammo for Remington pump actions either.

Motor
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Swaging and trimming. 

Solved it with a S1050 and Dillon 1200!  I love doing it now, because I know how much time I'm saving compared to hand trimming and the super swage!  Now I don't even touch the cartridge case!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Case prep in general.

I'm also finding that powder coating bullets is not particularly enjoyable.

There are tools to make these tasks easier, but I'm cheap.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Rifle case prep use to be but with a Dillon trimmer on my 650 w/casefeeder, I decap, resize, and trim in one step without even touching a single piece of brass.  Then I tumble the lube off and they are ready to reload.  I can process 1,000 pieces of 5.56 or .308 in an hour.  Simple.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Case prep in general.

I'm also finding that powder coating bullets is not particularly enjoyable.

There are tools to make these tasks easier, but I'm cheap.
View Quote
I don't mind powder coating bullets. (Shake and bake method). Yeah it does require you to invest some time and attention but it's well worth it.

It's not like easy like sitting watching "the game" and priming brass easy.

Motor
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorting and general case prep.

I bought an XL650 with some useful add-ons that speed most case prep steps.  

The Dillon swager works much faster when I added a spring to the finger that holds the case, so when I let go it flings the case into a collapsing-type laundry basket.  

I wet tumble after the size/trim step.  That removes what little bit of brass swarf that may remain in the case mouth, and with the spent primers out, the cleaning does well.  

Probably ought to buy the sorting trays.  The biggest problem is .40 cases that nest inside .45 ACP cases.  Even if I do a really good sorting job, they jam in the auto case feed chute and ruin the red adapter sleeve, which is annoying.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a fanatic about pockets. I use a Mighty Armory depriming and swaging die Set, I clean my brass in an RCBS ultrasonic cleaner (takes 30 minutes) I dry the cases them uniform them.
Perfect Pockets, Shiny Brass! I use CCI or Winchester primers.

So for me its all about pockets.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I love finding new brass on the ground, get giddy as a fat kid in a candy store.

I hate trimming....HATE IT!

Just bought a WFT. Still not consistent and needs to be cleaned out but my hands aren't as tired.

My hands haven't been this sore since my teen years.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:12:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I measure every powder charge, so I'd say trickling powder.
View Quote
This.

I dug out the equipment and started over working up a load.  I can't get the powder measure to throw consistently so I was trickling every single charge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Rifle case prep in general.  Especially trimming.  Especially using the Lee tools.  Even chucking in a drill my fingers get torn up and I can feel the arthritis lurking after a couple hundred.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Sizing actually.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top