Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
ArmdLbrl,  you are correct, I don't get invited to many parties.  But when I do..., I run with a very select few.  And I trust every one of them with my life.  I don't think very many people realize how fine a line we walk between social rest and complete chaos.  So these people have little concept of the reality of what life and death stress is.  Nothing “life threatening” has ever happened to them, how could they know?  Now put a loaded gun in their hands???  AND add that stress.  I’m probably more scared than they are now.  Keep in mind that I am not talking about you or the people you think of when you get together for a shoot.  I am referring to the guy next to you at the stop light that carries because it makes him feel safer, the weekend hunters that shoot at movement, the wife that is scared when hubby is away, or the guy that bought a gun because the neighbor got broken into.  I have never been afraid of the bad guys, I am afraid of anyone with a gun. Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe.  ANY LOADED GUN IS BETTER THAN NO GUN AT ALL ! ! !
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
A police officer i know was shot with a 12 gauge shotgun at close range with 3 inch 00 buck as he was entering a house and the perp hit him dead sqaure on the trauma plate of his vest.
he told me it knocked him off his feet and broke a few ribs,he had blunt force trauma to hist chest cavity.It screwed him up quick.
He is fine now but that kinda makes me a believer of the HOLY SHOTGUN.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep my 1911 next to the night stand on a shelf and my wife keeps her Kahr K9 in the night stand.  Always nice to have someone there to back you up
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Load it up with some 00 or 000 buck, and you'll have a weapon that gives you virtually 100% one-shot stops for under $300.  Plus, just the sound of you jacking the slide will be enough to send 99% of perps running, without having to fire a shot.

Two thoughts:

1.  I think the stopping power of buckshot is overrated.  Not only are the "Marshal and Sanow" numbers low, but it sucks on human-sized big game.  Slugs are a different story, however.

2.  I think the whole "racking the slide" thing is overrated, too.  Wouldn't you want to augment your already limited capacity by storing it with a round in the chamber?

Ditto on the racking the slide thing. I think a wise man would stoke it to the limit and issue some very specific verbal commands if the case were to arrise. My .02 321
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]
for the more inexperienced shooter which is most people I have always tried to keep it simple for them. either a small 38 revolver and a 357 with 38's in it if recoil is a problem for them.
I have always tried to state for a person and alot of women that by the time you now someone is in your house most of the time you do not have much time. I have seen alot of folks just pull the slide back on a auto and then ease it foward to load it.(jam).
but with but I have always told them with the revolver just pull the trigger and if it does not fire just pull it again till it does. kinda simple and very effective.

as for me a ak47 works real well for me, light , short, easy to shoot and very reliable.
and for hard targets that knock your door down in the middle of the night 20 rounds of 30 cal. ap will ruin someones day.
how about a claymore in the baseboards at the foot of the stairs as it should slow up any progress  and I mean any intruder trying to get to you would have and finish up with that nice ap should be a real surprize. LOL
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ditto on the racking the slide thing. I think a wise man would stoke it to the limit and issue some very specific verbal commands if the case were to arrise. My .02 321

Verbal commands???  If you're gonna shoot, shoot...don't talk! :)
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wouldn't want to stand in front of a .22 short either, but that can kill you too.  It doesn't matter if the guy dies a week later in the hospital if he has enough pepper left after you shoot him to stick you with his knife or return fire.

Nothing is 100%, but at inside-the-room range, I'll take a 12-gauge shotgun, thank you.  If the perp is wearing a vest, the impact will likely knock him down hard, and your typical vest will not stop the 5.56 from my Bushy!

I don't think equating a 12ga 00-buck round to 8 or 9 rounds of 9mm is a fair comparison.  It's more like 8 or 9 .22LR's.  Each pellet is ~54gr at .33" at ~1300fps.  In terms of bullet weight and velocity, each pellet is more like a .22LR than a 9mm.  Probably with less penetration than the .22 since we're talking about lead round balls with far less sectional density.  And penetration is the thing the .22LR has going for it.

Let's not forget that the round ball or RN is not the best projectile shape for terminal performance.  It will tend to part tissue without disrupting it, especially on elastic tissue.

Tell all that terminal ballistics stuff to the dead perp on my living room floor...heh heh! :)

I agree that slugs are far better stoppers (in general) than shot.

So, are you saying I'd be better off just loading up with slugs?  If so, then I'll do that.  In situations like that, I firmly believe in having every unfair advantage.

If 8 rounds is enough, then how many rounds do you load in your AR mags?  

Apples and oranges, my friend...but the Bushy and the GI 30-rounders are close at hand.

Let's consider this possible scenario: multiple armed assailants have broken into your house, discovered your position, and begun to shoot at you.  Are you certain that you will hit 100% of the shots fired?  Are you certain that each shot will instantly incapacitate your assailant?  Even if you are Wyatt Earp, it may take you a few rounds to realize that they have body armor and you'll have to make head shots.  Think it can't happen?  Think again.

The reality is that under this kind of stress in this kind of dynamic shooting scenario, we are all capable of missing shots.  Street results, as controversial as they may be, suggest that a significant amount of people hit in the torso with a 12ga 00-round will not stop fighting instantly.  My own personal results on feral hogs have been less than impressive.

Are you sure that 8-rounds is "enough" when you and your family are on the line?  There are some situations where being in over your head is no excuse.

That's okay...the shotgun is far from the only weapon I have at hand for home defense, and I live in a second-story condo.  So, unless Spiderman is one of the assailants, the only way they are getting in is through the front door, and that won't be easy without making a LOT of noise!  They would be in the funnel of death, and I have a clear shot from the bedroom to the front door, plus cover options in the adjacent kitchen as well.  My wife would call 911 and have the cops and paramedics come pick up the leaking human trash from the breezeway.

'nuff said! :)

Cheers,

Steve
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#8]
If anyone in my home who does not have experience with gun...shouldn't touch one.

For me, home defense is a 12 gauge M1 S90 Benelli plus a .357 S&W (that can also be used by an unexperienced person, just squeeze the trigger and boom).
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So, are you saying I'd be better off just loading up with slugs?  If so, then I'll do that.  In situations like that, I firmly believe in having every unfair advantage.

I'm saying that slugs are better stoppers.  Whether you are better off or not would depend on how close your neighbors are, what your likely fields of fire are, etc. in case of overpenetration.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Mossberg 590.  

8+1 in the gun
4 in the Speedfeed stock
15 on the sling

Attached flashlight

With a bayonet to reduce the take-away possibility.

Alternate buck and slugs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a big fan of a shotgun for home use. Yes it will stop them but what if you miss (yea I know you are an expert shotgun sniper and never miss :0) you know have a lot more projectiles flying around that could hit a loved one.

I personal use my M4 with an Aimpoint M2 or my Colt Combat Commander. I prefer the rifle. A pistol should be used to fight to a rifle not instead of a rifle.

My wife can use my M4 but is more comfortable with her S&W .357

Clinth
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
With a bayonet to reduce the take-away possibility.

Yeah, baby!

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#15]
For people that can't shoot: Grenades and a flamethrower.

Or a double-barreled shotgun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top