Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Steyr did win a few .gov contracts with the AUG, but I cannot recall which branches. I bet STG77 knows. Steyr selling weapons to Iran was foolish and irresponsible. The reports of Iranian special forces and intellegence personel training insurgents and participating in attacks are everybit as valid as the reports of American special forces participating in attacks against the NVA and Russians in Afghanistan. The Iranians are in Iraq training and equipping insurgents and Iranian military personel have been captured participating in anti-coalition activites. This is tit-for-tat in a way, since there are reports of ultra secret American special forces conducting intellegence activites in Iran, mainly deploying nuke sensing devices and mapping facilites. Iran is certainly not our friend and is a dangerous, motivated and formidible enemy. Anyone who was alive in 1981 or follows the IAF or Israeli military history can predict what the ultimate outcome will be.

Just as they did in Osirisk, Iraq in 1981 they will do again, in Iran in 2006-2007. They will conduct airstrikes against Iran's nuclear infastructure before the IDF believes they have become operational. If they are supposidly 2 years away from a bomb, then were rapidly approaching the "red zone". What Iran will do is anyones guess. They have said they will attack Dimona, but they will almost certainly attack coalition forces in the region as well as Israeli interests. Iran mollywhopped Iraq during thier "spat" and they are expecting the IAF air assault, so this is going to be a sticky situation. Israel has historically been very clever, but who knows? Steyr arming the single most important country to radical Islamic terror is a foolish decision, especially if done just to spite America. In thier defense, we really put them in a pickle. They cant sell guns to America,

they cant sell guns to Iran....who can they sell to? Steyr building an American facility isn't very intellegent as they don't have the capacity to sustain themselves in the face of impending bans and restrictions. FYI, they HK 9 series, AUG, FNC and 550 were not banned because they weret suitible for sporting purposes, but because they threatend contracts and market share. European gun manufactures are acutely aware of this and aren't excited about offering thier products in any fashion to a public/government that has shunned them time and time again.They have repeatidly been frozen out of DoD contracts for at times, ludicris reasons and they know offering certain products to Americans will ultimatly end in sorrow. Sig, Glock and FN are largely American conglomerates anyways....I am specifically refering to Steyr and HK. Granted, we too have sold weapons to Iran in the past...but as far as I am concerned, everything went back to 0 on 9-12-01 as the world as we knew it was over.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
FYI, they HK 9 series, AUG, FNC and 550 were not banned because they weret suitible for sporting purposes, but because they threatend contracts and market share.

That is a pretty bold claim; can you provide a reference or source for this?  I thought the '89 import ban was a knee-jerk reaction to the Patrick Purdy shooting at a schoolyard in California.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI, they HK 9 series, AUG, FNC and 550 were not banned because they weret suitible for sporting purposes, but because they threatend contracts and market share.

That is a pretty bold claim; can you provide a reference or source for this?  I thought the '89 import ban was a knee-jerk reaction to the Patrick Purdy shooting at a schoolyard in California.  

I think that saying that were banned because they threatened market share was a contributing factor, but not the cause. Do you really think that Colt, Bushmaster, and Ruger were going to go to bat to fight the import ban when the imports would take a significant slice of the then smaller black rifle pie? Of course not, but at the same time their scilence wasn't the cause, as always that was reactionary liberal members of congress. The same thing happened with the AWB in 94, Ruger was all about it because they say the Mini-14 was going to be one of the last games in town when it came to non banned autoloaders.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
In the weapons industry, among defense and weapons contractors there are a lot of "back deal" negotiating. Some of the larger domestic gun makers have considerable lobbying power and can influence the outcome of some votes. Colt really isn't going to mind if they don't have to compete with HK or Steyr for .gov or LE contracts. Saying that its a "knee jerk" liberal reaction doesn't quite describe it. The import ban was a way for American gun makers to increase thier profitiability among the gov and civilians by eliminating competition. Its a stupd ban that makes absolutely no sense and describing it as liberal "gun grabbing" doesn't accuratly portray what is really happening. I wasn't aware that variations of military rifles weren't suitible for sporting use.
All I use mine for is sporting use, so eiether I or the .gov is mistaken....Certainly the bills that

weed out foriegn competition aren't going to be labled "Forieng competition elimination act" but rather "Import ban of 89". There is more to the ant-gun issue than what is seen at face value and its incumbent upon all gun owners to be well informed and have all the facts. Wake up guys. I have been involved in weapons testing, and I can tell you that there is alot of inconsistanices and slanting that goes on. Seldom does the best weapon win, but rather the cheapset, politically favored and semi-functional. Politics isn't about the best man, best gun for the job, no matter what.
Sadly, its muddier than that......If all weapons testing were fair and the best weapon won on its merits, then explain some of our recent choices in weaponry.....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The AR15 market would be smaller without the import ban. This fact can not be lost on Colt and Bushmaster and RRA. Many people buy the AR15 by default, because there is nothing really as good out there in terms of semi automatic rifles. I have no doubt some American companies lobbied for the ban

The one benefit of the import ban is that it benefits the American worker and the economy by forcing companies to build plants and factories here in the USA

Japanese Car makers have long understood the benefits of building cars domestically. I have no doubt similar benefits would be an incentive for foreign gun makers as well

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]
AUGs were bought and issued to the US Customs SWAT
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Notice the additional barrel length and extended flash hider not present on the austrian model to ensure the weapon meets all NFA regulations. There is also the absence of the 9 and 3 oclock rails. They are actually pretty different, not quite as different as the 556 and 55x but different enough to raise flags. Steyr says they will make some announcement  on the 20th, so we shall see

Made in America

Made in Austria
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Notice the additional barrel length and extended flash hider not present on the austrian model to ensure the weapon meets all NFA regulations.

Neither of the barrels pictured are NFA length. Have you ever seen a 14" AUG? It is really, really short. The barrel ends literally right in front of the forward grip. A 14" barrel would be completely obscured by the rail system.

The first pic looks to have a 20" barrel. The second pic is right off the Steyr website and it is definitely an 18" barrel.

There is also the absence of the 9 and 3 oclock rails.

The side rails are bolted on, the bolt heads can be plainly seen.

They are actually pretty different, not quite as different as the 556 and 55x but different enough to raise flags. Steyr says they will make some announcement  on the 20th, so we shall see

I'm looking forward to the announcement, whichever way it goes, but the two guns are both imported. The import markings on the receiver can be see in some of the other SHOT pics.

Made in America Austria
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-091.jpg

Made in Austria
www.steyr-mannlicher.com/uploads/pics/G8HB0592_01.jpg
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know what kind of scope is on that?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The first pic looks to have a 20" barrel. The second pic is right off the Steyr website and it is definitely an 18" barrel.

Agreed.

Steyr's website says the A3 comes in 18, 20, and 24 I believe. They've apparently dropped the 16 and SBR options.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Does anyone know what kind of scope is on that?

Leupold CQ/T
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Steyr says they will make some announcement  on the 20th, so we shall see

Was there an announcement?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steyr says they will make some announcement  on the 20th, so we shall see

Was there an announcement?

Not that I heard. Not a good sign
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:07:01 AM EDT
[#14]
oh poop, I was holding my breath
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd love to get an AUG A3. Their website says available Spring of '06 is that legit?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Steyr!!! Say something...

Preferably "yes we are bringing it to america and you can have one for FREE!"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top