Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone know if this rifle has an AR-15/M-16 style gas tube or a piston system like the AK?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
YEAH NO SHIT! Good point JimBeam. What's the friggin operating system of this rifle? Is it like the Galil or AK? If it's like an AR, then screw it! I would pay $1000 for this thing, no matter how ugly it is, if it runs like a G36 or a Galil that's for damn sure.

themao

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Click on small arms and it will take you there:

www.imi-israel.com/

IMI says it has a "gas operated, rotating bolt action". That could mean anything, but the AR-15 in theory has a "rotating bolt" and is purely gas operated. My take is that this is nothing more than an AR-15 thrown into a bullpup stock. I hope I'm wrong.

themao
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
themao, I saw the same site.  

My only problem with the AR-15 is how dirty it gets with the gas vented directly back to the bolt.  I will probably get a Tavor if it uses a piston in the gas operating system.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I hate the AR for the same reason. However, until the 1989 and 1994 bans disappear, we're stuck with whatever is made in this country....unless of course you'd be willing to use an AK-47 for most of your work.

themao
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah, I hate the AR for the same reason. However, until the 1989 and 1994 bans disappear, we're stuck with whatever is made in this country....unless of course you'd be willing to use an AK-47 for most of your work.

themao

You HATE the AR?

I think it's time for you to leave.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
IIRC the Tavor uses a piston gas system similar to that of an AR-180, but it operates a 7 (8?) lug rotating bolt, the operating system is very similar to that of the G-36 I think.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
hg112:

I don't actually hate the whole package, I just hate the operating system. It's a horrible system. The G36, Galil, Valmet, AN-94 and AK-100 series whips the M-16's ass in reliability/field tests every time. There's a reason why Spec Ops troops use the M-14 every time they go on vacation to Alaska during the winter. The M-16 is great for urban environments, but I doubt it would be the first choice of many if you had to go to the Kola Penisula in Russia, the Saudi desert or the jungles of Columbia.

I respect the AR-15 for its mounting capabilties, ergonomics, pointability and excellent sighting system. I don't respect it for its track record in Vietnam or it's operating system.

themao
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm intrigued!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if this rifle has an AR-15/M-16 style gas tube or a piston system like the AK?

The gas system is definetly not AR. The piston is attached to the bolt carrier. For those that are wondering this rifle is not a restocked AR or AK. Of course no one has REALLY invented anything new since Browning/Johnson/Stoner. This is the first big departure in gun designs I have seen in a few years
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
IIRC the Tavor uses a piston gas system similar to that of an AR-180, but it operates a 7 (8?) lug rotating bolt, the operating system is very similar to that of the G-36 I think.

It actually has 4 lugs, and they are not all the same size.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Well then, now I feel better. If it works better then I'd consider dropping $1500 on one...only if the only difference between the civilian and military version is the flash suppressor. I'll be damned if they restock it.

themao
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in for one.  Can anyone make sure they get the information at SHOT?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I believe there's a contingent going from AR15.com and plan to report back during the show ??
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe there's a contingent going from AR15.com and plan to report back during the show ??

Ja!

And I, the biggest ever anticipator of the Tavor, will be reporting back on it personally.

Juggernaut

And although only one of many I'll BE WAITING !
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]
...this needs to be a priority for anyone going to the SHOT show.  i've been thinking about this gun for a year or so now (since it was leaked that it was going to be produced domestically).

anyone who get to handle one...try and note the ergonomics and balance as compared to the bushmaster bullpup.  

i was a bit dissapointed with the looks of this gun where a pic of the civie version was posted...i however am reconsidering my inital judgement.  if this gun truely does have a superior operating system and has good ergonomics/balance i might be back on the wagon.

please though, we need reports from anyone that goes and gets to fondle this beast...sloth
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Put me down for one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I heard that only media and some few others can bring cameras in.  Someone needs to bring a small spy cam to get some pics of it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder if it will be offered in multiple calibers. A 9mm Tavor would rock!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I heard that only media and some few others can bring cameras in.  Someone needs to bring a small spy cam to get some pics of it.

holes,
again I BELIEVE the AR15.com group intends to send back pictures from the show.
Not certain though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I will have pictures up after the first day of the show.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I will have pictures up after the first day of the show.

Can you post a picture of the Kahr micro polymer MP9 if they introduce it there too?  (I know, but I can't go...)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top