Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming you have no duty to take an escape route due to local laws, go into a crouch or kneel and fire at high center mass.  Upward angle of bullet will prevent striking person on the other side of a door (unless they are Kareem Abdul Jabar or something) and a miss will most likely go into the joists of the ceiling/floor above them and not keep on trucking through to friendlies.

IMHO.  Take the shot.

Woody
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This is a questionable situation. If you were to shoot automatically upon seeing him, you may get charged with Homicide. You need to be able to prove that you, or your family was in immenent danger. I think the assumption inthe question is that he is armed...and if anintruder is armed, and you can see this, than there is a "threat to your or your loved ones lives".If he did not have the weapon pointed at you then you probably could not justify shooting. The gun would not have to be pointed at you in order for the BG to be a threat, him being in the house, brandishing a weapon IS THE THREAT. However, if you warned him, and he pointed the gun at you, you would most likely be justified in taking the shot. Although, you still need to be sure that there is nobody on the other side of that door that is going to be in your line of fire. I would practice with your family what to do in such a situation. Make sure they know to move out of the way of the door when you say a specific phrase or something. Not a bad idea Teufel. And practice it religiously. Its better that they have that ingrained, and they act upon instinct when they hear you say that phrase, or train with them to immediately put something in front of the door, and for them to get out of the way of the door. Also good, BUT, how likely is it that your loved ones are awake and know what is going on? If a child is awoken in the middle of the night by a noise, they are not likely to be investigating the noise and trying to prevent the BG from entering the house. And if it is the room of the child that he is trying to enter, there is a good chance that the person is either still asleep or lying awake in thier bed terrified, not barracading the door. Not picking on you Teufel, just pointing out some things that no one has really addressed hing

Diesel hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is a questionable situation. BG don't belong in my house! no question about that....it's not Santa Claus dummy!If you were to shoot automatically upon seeing him, you may get charged with Homicide. Depends on how much information you give the .gov to hang yourself with, dummy!You need to be able to prove that you, or your family was in immenent danger. If he did not have the weapon pointed at you then you probably could not justify shooting. .gov would find a clean, cheap weapon in his hands, dummy!However, if you warned him, and he pointed the gun at you, you would most likely be justified in taking the shot. What else would you tell the .gov anyway?, dummy!Although, you still need to be sure that there is nobody on the other side of that door that is going to be in your line of fire. You do that anyway before you even point the weapon don't you? Anywhere you are, range, forest, , right?I would practice with your family what to do in such a situation. First thing you siad that actuall makes sense, Of course the wife and oldest would beable to defend the home unless you are around 24/7Make sure they know to move out of the way of the door when you say a specific phrase or something. "Move away from the door" You do have your kids taught to obey the first time don't you?And practice it religiously. Its better that they have that ingrained, and they act upon instinct when they hear you say that phrase,Isn't this true for every thing in your life? or train with them to immediately put something in front of the doorWhat, put them closert to the bad guy? , and for them to get out of the way of the door.Every one heads to a defensive position don't they? I would do something of that nature.You need to think this through or you will be going to jail for a while and put your family at risk

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's my $.02...(not the only opinion in the world, but advice).

If you or your family is in immeninet danger of an immediate threat to bodily harm or death, then take the shot.

If not...then Don't.  How many times have you trained in a CQB situation in a house situation (i.e., a shooting house or other combat course)?  If your answer is, "Well, I shoot a lot of rapid fire at the range," then you do not have the training to arbitrarily attempt to take the shot with you FAMILY in the background.

Of course, if you are a Navy Seal, Special Forces, Marine, or other military personnel, you could have the training to take such a shot.

mfm
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]

1.) Identify what the threat is (light), there are many case of people shooting family memebrs. Also be aware of backdrop and beyond.
2.) Are you in iminante danger of serious injury or death? (look for a weapon)
3.) Verabal commands (LOUD!). Tell the BG exactically what will happen if he doesn't listen. "Do not move, you are making me fear for my life, I have a gun and will shoot (not kill, you are "stoping" him) you.
4.) Another family member should be on 911 calling for police if possible.

Steps 1-2 can be done at the same time and step 3 takes about 1.5 seconds. Now if you are FORCED to defend yourself or family shoot the hell out of him/her.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
If I wasnt sure but pretty sure Id give a shot in the leg or something.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Wounding a BG is not smart in this day and age...we have all heard the horror stories of some POS low life trying to break into someones house, tripping & falling, breaking a leg, hiring johnny cochran and suing the everliving sh!t out of the law abiding citizen...BE CERTAIN OF YOUR TARGET, YOUR BACKDROP, AND SHOOT CENTER MASS UNTIL YOU NO LONGER FEEL THREATENED...may sound overdone to some, but that is exactly what they teach you in concealed carry courses, which last time i checked were regualted by state law.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

<<snip>>  we have all heard the horror stories of some POS low life trying to break into someones house, tripping & falling, breaking a leg, hiring johnny cochran and suing the everliving sh!t out of the law abiding citizen...<<snip>>
My $.02
Diesel

Well, we don't have to worry 'bout that no more, now do we?

Woody
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Put one in the leg? So now you blew your 5 year old daughters leg off all because she went to get a drink of water and you thought it was a bg. I hope you can live with that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
1.) Identify what the threat is (light), there are many case of people shooting family memebrs. Also be aware of backdrop and beyond.
2.) Are you in iminante danger of serious injury or death? (look for a weapon)
3.) Verabal commands (LOUD!). Tell the BG exactically what will happen if he doesn't listen. "Do not move, you are making me fear for my life, I have a gun and will shoot (not kill, you are "stoping" him) you.
4.) Another family member should be on 911 calling for police if possible.

Steps 1-2 can be done at the same time and step 3 takes about 1.5 seconds. Now if you are FORCED to defend yourself or family shoot the hell out of him/her.

While your at it have him sign a waiver so you can legally shot him.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wounding a BG is not smart in this day and age...we have all heard the horror stories of some POS low life trying to break into someones house, tripping & falling, breaking a leg, hiring johnny cochran and suing the everliving sh!t out of the law abiding citizen...BE CERTAIN OF YOUR TARGET, YOUR BACKDROP, AND SHOOT CENTER MASS UNTIL YOU NO LONGER FEEL THREATENED...may sound overdone to some, but that is exactly what they teach you in concealed carry courses, which last time i checked were regualted by state law.

My $.02
Diesel

The key word is THREATENED...

neverenough
Why would a 5 year old girl have a gun in her hand. By shooting someone in the leg. You might as well help them load up your stuff in his car...

It's your home  It's your family and that POS low life knows where you live...
center mass
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#12]
"If I wasn't sure but pretty sure I'd put one in there leg."
This is the quote I was responding to. You better be damned sure of what your shooting at was my point. And when did I ever say anything about a 5 year old having a gun?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]
That scenario is where the 870 12 ga. loaded with #4 buckshot shines.  Massive injury to the BG but with the substantially decreased risk of serious injury to people on the other side of walls and doors.  
12 ga. trumps handgun in most home encounter situations.  
The way I plan it is that I will use my handgun to fight my way back to the shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think I'm a little puzzled by the question.

An armed intruder, in your house, about to enter a bedroom?  If there's ONE time you start shooting, that, my friend, is it.

+1  bad guy + gun + inside your house = dead man.  The only question is it going to be you or him?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wounding a BG is not smart in this day and age...we have all heard the horror stories of some POS low life trying to break into someones house, tripping & falling, breaking a leg, hiring johnny cochran and suing the everliving sh!t out of the law abiding citizen...BE CERTAIN OF YOUR TARGET, YOUR BACKDROP, AND SHOOT CENTER MASS UNTIL YOU NO LONGER FEEL THREATENED...may sound overdone to some, but that is exactly what they teach you in concealed carry courses, which last time i checked were regualted by state law.hr
Didnt think about that. Thanks for that. Ill remember it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Part of the problem here is that the decision to shoot or not to shoot is made before you are placed in the situation.
Like many other decsions in life you make the chioce of what to do before you find yourself in the real life situation i.e. cheating on your spouse, driving drunk, stealing at work, eating and getting fat.  
So what was your thought when you bought the gun, put bullets into it, and put it under your pillow ;) ? The time to decide what you are going to do is before the BG gets into your house. If you haven't made a clear firm decision to kill...dead...another human being and know that you can live with that choice, you may want to reconsider owning a defense weapon.
Because if you haven't cleared that up before hand you will not be focus during an event. During which time you will need to determine valid target, location of family members, remaining unseen, backstops and seeing in the dark.
Being concerned about the BG and what will happen in court or the BG well being are not choices to be concerned about. Do you have the mental attitude to kill an intruder.
BAD GUY that has illegally entered your house and has made these decisions already. He knows what he is going to do to you and your family
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#17]
All I have to say is, I hope that BG likes 230 grain .45acp Federal Hydroshocks, because thats whats gonna be fed to his head. The way I look at it is better him than me. Just make sure you shoot him inside of your house while he is facing you, the cops dont like it when u shoot them in the back or if they are outside.

Scout
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This is a questionable situation. If you were to shoot automatically upon seeing him, you may get charged with Homicide. You need to be able to prove that you, or your family was in immenent danger. If he did not have the weapon pointed at you then you probably could not justify shooting. However, if you warned him, and he pointed the gun at you, you would most likely be justified in taking the shot. Although, you still need to be sure that there is nobody on the other side of that door that is going to be in your line of fire. I would practice with your family what to do in such a situation. Make sure they know to move out of the way of the door when you say a specific phrase or something. And practice it religiously. Its better that they have that ingrained, and they act upon instinct when they hear you say that phrase, or train with them to immediately put something in front of the door, and for them to get out of the way of the door. I would do something of that nature.

No No, nobody will know if you shot when you first saw him or that he was pointing the gun at you, etc. It's not like there is a camera in your home that will be used for an "instant replay" to critique your decision.
It is dangerous to think too much in a self defense situation. If a stranger is in your home, and they have a weapon (I mean, gun, knife, baseball bat, etc.) then you should assume that they are there to do you bodily harm and should act accordingly. The last thing you need to do is to shout or give them a warning, hesitation means you are dead my friend. The only hesitation should be to identify your target, make sure it is not a family member, etc.
In this situation, you must shoot to defend yourself and your family. Forget about laws, procedures, etc.  All that won't mean crap when you're bleeding out on the floor and the bad guy is having his way with your wife.
As far as the law is concerned, like it has been said many times, "better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" If you are threatened, then do the right thing and worry about the law later.
Some people have suggested shooting to wound, this is another bad idea. A shot to the leg can be just as deadly as a heart shot. They train police that you do not shoot unless you are in danger of loosing your life. Once that determination is made, you shoot to kill, because if you are not shooting to kill then you shouldn't be shooting to start with. It may sound cruel to some, but that's the way it is. We had a shooting where I live, a crazy guy with a knife in the middle of the street, the police tried to talk him down. He lunged at one of the cops with the knife, and they shot  him (multiple times). Alot of people complained that it was "excessive force", but that's what you do when reduced to a kill or be killed situation. It was found to be justifiable homicide. If the cop had hesitated, he might have gotten his throat cut and not be here today.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top