BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If made properly, that could be very reliable and last a long time.  That's freaking cool.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...so I dropped the picture of the swift link into Fusion 360
View Quote
@BigRix,
That Fusion 360 CAD drawing is great! Is it available as a Fusion 360 shareable project file or separate download anywhere?
Thanks!
Esox
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@BigRix,
That Fusion 360 CAD drawing is great! Is it available as a Fusion 360 shareable project file or separate download anywhere?
Thanks!
Esox
View Quote
I literally did a google search for AR15 cad files and found the upper and lower at cncguns.com and the fire control group on grabcad.

Dropped them into Fusion 360 and added the Swift Link.

I don't usually do AR15 stuff so I had not modeled them before. Took like 5 minutes. I won't be sharing my Swift Link drawing but it is not hard to duplicate that yourself.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I literally did a google search for AR15 cad files and found the upper and lower at cncguns.com and the fire control group on grabcad.

I don't usually do AR15 stuff so I had not modeled them before. Took like 5 minutes. I won't be sharing my Swift Link drawing but it is not hard to duplicate that yourself.
View Quote
No desire to model the Swift Link.  I've got my RLL and paddles drew up in Fusion and I've already got the cncguns.com downloads.  I'll have to mine GrabCAD a little better to find the other parts...I've just always been leary of the quality of anything off GrabCAD.  I'm wanting to do some animation of how the RLL works.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I know something is off with the drawings because the fire control holes don't line up with the lower receiver holes.

I wouldn't trust either of these sources and would model it myself if I needed to make any parts to fit.

You might be able to model up something if they are close but I usually model, 3D print, then modify my drawing.

Not possible with this kind of stuff unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm also wondering if it is designed to fit tightly around the take down pin boss and bend back and forth as it is forced down into the disconnector or have some slop so it just moves into the disconnector.

If it bends it will fatigue and break. If it has slop it will last longer but may lose timing.

It looks like it is made from aluminum in the original pics. I can't see that lasting long.

Gonna need an SOT to make one and experiment. All I can do is draw pretty pictures and dream.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In every video I've heard/watched...the rate of fire varied too much to be anything BUT a bump stock or some form of bumpfire....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The LVPD in charge released a crap ton of witness statements and interviews (3,000+ pages) and at least one of those interviews covered the shooter's interest in DIAS and machine gun conversion devices in general.   From other information they released, he had the cash to buy legal machine guns (belt feds at that).

As for why he would use a conversion device AND a bumpstock?   One guess would be legal cover if he shot them (at a range, whatever) and someone asked him about his ROF or if he was somehow discovered.   "Oh yeah; it's a bump stock.   Here, let me show you how it works..."

Or maybe he just used bump stocks.    All I know for certain is the federal and local governments involved have gone out of their way to obfuscate and muddy the waters of this investigation.

Another slide in the pile where I found the Swift Link slide stated the ATF was NOT allowed to look at the internals of the weapons found in his room.   Why?  I wish I knew.
In every video I've heard/watched...the rate of fire varied too much to be anything BUT a bump stock or some form of bumpfire....
I can think of a few ways to get the rate of fire to vary on a machine gun but even I have to admit that's stretching things given the specific facts and circumstances of this case.

All those rifles with bump stocks found in his room?   Varied rate of fire (I heard that as well)?    Yeah, the most likely conclusion is he probably used bump stocks to generate that RoF.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:04:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
You don't have to as the ATF did the hard part for you.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Go over to quarterbore and check out the AR10 Autoconnector.  These things both look like disconnector trips which are the bastard cousins of lightning links and RDIAS.

The two devices don't look anything alike, but to me, it seems like they do the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 3:23:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why would you use both these AND bumpstocks, on the same gun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Were these devices actually used in the Vegas shooting?
Why would you use both these AND bumpstocks, on the same gun?
To push an agenda.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 3:29:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Curiosity got the better of me so I dropped the picture of the swift link into Fusion 360 and traced the outline.

At first I thought it must install in this orientation.

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Swift-Link-1-1.jpg

Two things proved this to not be the case. An SP1 carrier would have been needed and the part that had been ground on the side for clearance would not have been in the right place.

I then flipped it around and got this.

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Swift-Link-2.jpg

The dimensions are way off but you get the idea. The M16 carrier hits the bend and pushes down on the disconnector.

I can't imagine it would last long or be reliable.

Others have already described the operation I just couldn't wrap my head around it till I drew it up.

Hopefully this is not outside the bounds of discussion since it's just a drawing.
View Quote
Excellent use of CAD to make simple a idea hard to put into words.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please do not presume to tell me what those rules mean. I wrote them. And I (and other moderators) enforce them.

When I was brought on as moderator of the then-single NFA forum on ar15.com in 2002, it was a time when the Department of Justice was investigating web sites that posted specific instructions on how to, among other things, convert semi autos to full-auto. I was brought on by this site's ownership with the specific mission of keeping ar15.com safe from any such government investigation or oversight. Thus, the NFA-specific rules.

In the 16 years since then,  I've had to delete a few dozen posts. I even had to ban one person. But the vast majority have understood those rules.

As far as 07/02s go, I am a former manufacturer. My family still holds 07/02 licenses. While we welcome and encourage their input here, specific technical questions do not belong here, because we are a web site open to the public, good or bad. So we request that those conversations be taken to a web site which welcomes that info, or communicated by IM or email.

There are bad people out there. We do not want their browser history to show an ar15.com page where they learned how to build an illegal, unregistered NFA item.

Everyone is welcome here if they abide by these rules. But they will remain in force as long as ar15.com site ownership and staff remain committed to them.

Thank you for your cooperation.
View Quote
LMAO... he felt the need to increase the font size and throw around credentials just because someone disagreed with him.
Never change ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]
OP's question has been answered.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top