User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Using that same tool, what number do you get when you measure a round of factory-new m-193 or similar?
View Quote
I get 1.4545 for m855
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How did you do it?
View Quote
Very carefully.. lol

I was gonna ride out to my buddies and use his lathe, however, I was in my shop and realized I could do it with my bench grinder. I took the cover off the sides so I could get a flat surface, and dialed down the RPMS as low as I could and just slowly took off material. I made sure to measure often, and apply even pressure to the die. Worked on my lee die and rcbs sb die.

It was kind of a redneck way to do it, but it saved me the 30 minute drive and came out much better than expected.

Edit:

The way the bench grinder I have is designed, I was able to square up the die by resting it in a corner, which definitely aided in getting the die squared to the wheel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Trim your cases?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Trim your cases?
View Quote
Yep. 1.750
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
So far I've discovered that as long as I size the shoulder to 1.460...
View Quote
Explain why you think setting the shoulder dimension of your handloads 0.006" longer than factory ammo is a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Donut in the neck?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Explain why you think setting the shoulder dimension of your handloads 0.006" longer than factory ammo is a good idea.
View Quote
It is just the minimum for that particular rifles chamber. Meaning as long as I set the shoulder back to atleast 1.460, as measured by the tool at my disposal, I get a round that fits and functions properly.

My goal will be to set my dies so that they size the shoulder down enough to fit all my rifles chambers. I could set them back down to factory specs, however I may possibly need to take even more off the die than I already have, or back them down and stress the linkage on the press event more.

Also I'd guess that the farther back you size the shoulder the more you work the brass, leading to shorter brass life.

I kind of assume from your question you may have a differing opinion? Curious if so.

If I am missing something here, I'm all for learning..

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Donut in the neck?
View Quote
Not entirely sure what you mean?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Measure the base-to-shoulder dimension of a round of factory-produced M193, or similar.

Set the shoulder for all your reloads to that SAME dimension.

You can play around with setting your the shoulders of your reloads to 0.000" headspace when you are shooting a bolt gun in benchrest matches.

Until then, you should assume that the Lake City factory, that produces XM193 (or whatever they are calling it this week), has a pretty good idea what they are doing.
At least they have a better idea than you or me.

Don't fall in love with your brass.

5.56 brass is plentiful and cheap.

Life is too short to shoot finicky ammo in an AR15.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't fall in love with your brass.

5.56 brass is plentiful and cheap.

Life is too short to shoot finicky ammo in an AR15.
View Quote
Amen to that.  I've got more .223/5.56 brass than I'll ever be able to reload.  Now, if I were younger..............
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I'm about at that point myself.

I bought 10,000 primed Wolf 5.56 cases when they were selling for the same price as dirty once-fired 5.56 plus a primer.
That's in addition to all the 5-gallon buckets around here full of fired 5.56.

I tried to figure out what's wrong with the primed Wolf brass.
I discovered that they don't automatically shoot high-master scores at the long line. Just most of the time. Must be defective.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not entirely sure what you mean?
View Quote
Usually its only a problem when necking down to another caliber. In some cases that aren't formed quite correctly, material from the shoulder can build up at the neck/shoulder junction.

If using a normal full length sizing die, the material gets forced mostly outward. When chambered, that material gets pinched in. This can behave like long headspace and cause sticking.

Bushing dies push the material inward and should be really apparent when seating bullets.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top