Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Great read...

I have never owned a spotting scope.  I have not had good luck with their resolution.  They have always fatigued my eyes.  Just own two pairs of binos.  One for closer work (8x56 ) and one for distance (15x54).

My rifles run a 6x24x50 scope on LaRue mounts.  These scopes preclude me from needing a spotting scope out to 200 yards...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One trick you can try if the range will permit is to lay a white bed sheet or poster board in front of the target at 200 and 300 yards.  The extra reflected light will generally illuminate the bullet holes in a black bullseye to make them viewable.

One of the targets I designed has 1 inch square blue or green sighting point that is visible at 300 yards in a 24X riflescope, but .22 diameter bullet holes are easy to see in the contrasting white background.

This is an example of one layout I use -

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=6835

Thanks for the tips!  I never would've thought of the white sheet trick!

The back lighting trick above, with a reflector behind the targets works, too, unless the target backer is thick or covered with old targets.  Our club uses fiber board backers that are thick and nearly self healing when they're new, so light won't shine through well until they have lots of holes.

So far our club has just used black 1/2" thick "Celotex"  They have orderd some self-healing stuff to try out.  I haven't seen it yet.  I will try out the sheet and "back lighting" though.  Sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]
All I know is the $150 Bushnell that I bought is fine for .22 at 100 yards, and useless at 200 yards.

I looked through some very expensive spotting scopes at the last gunshow and was shocked at how clear they were.  If only I had 1 or 2K to spend on a spotting scope!!!  

I'll have to do a cost analysis of how many shoot'n'see targets I have to go through before I'd paid out enough to buy a decent scope...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top