Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
OK Chucklehead... you could replace the front sight with one that better suits your needs, or better yet replace the rear sight with the VOW A2 style sight sold by DSA which has a 0-250 meter aperature and a 250 meter plus aperature... doesn't move on the ramp, just sits there and you flip aperatures as with an AR.

Or you could just buy an L1A1 and shut the hell up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a better deal on the Accupoint:  www.elitetacticalsources.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TRTR21R  Still not as cheap as that 4x but its getting there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent, thank you.  Have you ordered from them before?  How are they?

That price isn't too bad at all.  I'm saving the cash cause I want to buy the best DSA mount they offer, the one where you don't have to take the mount off to clean it.

BTW I went to the range again today, hittin' some nice tight 2-3" groups out to 200 yards with the irons.  But I'm definately convinced I can do better out at longer ranges with a good 4X scope.  I'm stuck on the BAC concept too now, just can't beat that.  But still, there's something about that 4X24 IOR with the Dragunov reticule that gets me all riled up.

cheers
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's another option.  It isn't tritium powered and I don't know what the quality of the optic is, but there is another company making a 1.5-4.5 variable with a red dot.  Its a micro dot that is on a closeout sale at www.eabco.com/microdot01.html for $115.  I'm generally a believe in "you get what you pay for" but for $115, I figure I can't loose.  If its a piece of crap, I can always throw it on my 10/22.

Oh yeah... Leupold also makes something similar... for $550.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Just had a thought...

How does the scope mount affect the carry handle?  Figure the scope would also negate the use of the handle too...

Am I right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#6]
You are correct sir.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Just thought I'd chime in.  I have the same setup as Hiram on my Stg58: aimpoint on low-mount ring and Tapco receiver cover.

With the scope mounted towards the rear, you get full range of motion on the rear iron sight (which you cowitness) and you can still use the carry handle.

I put this together on a whim and now I really like it.  Cliffy tried it out but he didn't like it.  He hurt my feelings. [>Q]  I'll remember that when the batteries on your Eotech run out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why would you scope it?  Can't see the iron sights or don't want to be bothered to learn to shoot it?

Who's asking the questions here Numbnuts?

Just wondering.  Most people that put scopes on their rifles in my experience do it because they think it'll make up for lack of ability. They also tend to shoot the rifle at distances that they should be able to shoot with irons no problem.  If this is not the case with you then no worries.  If it is, why not learn to shoot the rifle properly instead of relying on optics?

Amen. A rifleman will reach out and touch you at 1000 yards in a hurricane with iron sights.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why would you scope it?  Can't see the iron sights or don't want to be bothered to learn to shoot it?

Who's asking the questions here Numbnuts?

Just wondering.  Most people that put scopes on their rifles in my experience do it because they think it'll make up for lack of ability. They also tend to shoot the rifle at distances that they should be able to shoot with irons no problem.  If this is not the case with you then no worries.  If it is, why not learn to shoot the rifle properly instead of relying on optics?

Amen. A rifleman will reach out and touch you at 1000 yards in a hurricane with iron sights.

But I am getting the DSA mount as well. Norman, I agree with you on  the theory that you really need to decide what you need the scope for before you can pick one but that only holds true maybe in a tactical situation not a range shooting at paper situation. I am also learning that sometimes I can sound like a dick online when if we were all in person it may come off another way. Tone is lost online. I like the ACOG set-up. is that the right spelling? I read you can't get them now because of the war. Did anybody see the latest SN article about night vision? You want to talk about tempting? man I wish I had $3500 to piss away for a new toy. (Homer says)......"MMMmmmmmmmmm third generation Night vision."
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Norman needs a few good friends, I'm sure he'll appreciate your proclamation of sympathy.

I like the lower power scopes cause they allow fast target acquisition up close AND give you a stronger edge at longer ranges.

So to me, a fixed power scope, preferably with BAC, at 2-4X magnification is ideal.  If BAC isn't in the budget, then something like the IOR M2 would also be a nice fit.  There are other options too.

I understand though, that if I was forced to draw some sort of point out of Norman's banter, it'd probably run close to what you summarized...I think.  I stopped reading his crap after a couple posts.

As it turns out the scope I was wanting to purchase is now delayed till further notice...some bills surfaced that I need to squash.  So it looks like it's me and the irons for now.  I did order the cross haired duplex front sight from DSA, for kicks.  We'll see what that can do.

1,000 yards in a hurricane?  Man, that's some skill.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok maybe 1,000 yards in a hurricane is poetic lisence. I too am bogged down with bills for now. Pesky little suckers! Coming up with cash for decent ammo is a stretch right now, hence the Port I am shooting. I don't know for sure what I am going to go with yet, many options out there and the scopes available to the general public are like 100 times what used to be out there. When October comes, I will be ready to blow money on toys again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
don't feel bad, I just dropped $4k into my landscaping and a 100 foot driveway.  I'm going without new toys for rest of the year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Iron sights are OBVIOUSLY superior to an optic, because, after all, the servicemen who have graduated the USMC Scout Sniper School (arguably the finest of its type) use nothing but Irons for their Long Range shots. Not a scope. Oh wait..........they do! and its a 10x!!!! And I'll bet dollars to day old donuts that if anyone in the service can shoot, it's them. Why do I use a 6x30 on my FAL? 1. Ease of operation, point and shoot. 2.It is far easier to gauge distance with my dragunov reticle, and in mere seconds too! 3.It looks good. My IOR 6x30 fits my FAL just fine. And I am well versed in open sights.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey guys... There is a rare chance at a good deal on optics.  It is the Microdot 1.5-4.5X 20mm.  This is a VERY small red dot variable that has retailed for over $300.  Lippman Enterprises was contacted by a guy at the FALfiles about them.  They contacted Microdot and got the last nine units they had.  Lippman is down to only 4 and they are being sold for $139.95 plus $5 S&H.  They are listed on the site for $235 but you can call or e-mail him for the special price.

www.lippman-enterprises.com/ultradot.html

There are two guys at the FALfiles who claim to own these and love them.  They say the optics are very clear and it is a rugged scope.  For $140, I don't think you can loose.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Too many options out there, it's making me dizzy. Any special trick to what you can mount on the DSA mount or can you pretty much mount anything on it? Yeah, I am spending bundles on my house right now as well. I have spent way too much on toys this year and I am paying for it. Oh well, life is short.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I put a Bushnell 3200 Elite 3X9 on mine, because it was free. I have it in a set of Leupold QD rings, so I can go back to shooting 1000 yards in a hurricane with my iron sights if any mall ninjas attack, or if the crappy Bushnell fails.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That price isn't too bad at all.  I'm saving the cash cause I want to buy the best DSA mount they offer, the one where you don't have to take the mount off to clean it.
cheers

I've heard that said before and i don't understand it.  I have a cheap Tapco mount on my imbel and have never felt the need to remove it to clean.  The receiver doesn't get as dirty as an ARs so i just use a brush around the chamber/lug area and call it a day. am i missing something?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I'm left with a tough decision, have to sell some stuff to fund my Gunstock trip.  So if you are looking for a good deal on an Aimpoint with a dust cover weaver mount for your FAL/L1A1, here it is...

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=176324&w=myTopicPop
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top