Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 2:50:39 AM EDT
[#1]
If the barrel is not removable and they don't have a threaded version...I'm going to buy the CZ 455 instead...oh well
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My LGS has a couple due in today. One is supposed to have a 18" barrel and the other a 22". I'm sure they will sell like hotcakes but as best as my LGS  can tell there is not a threaded version yet.

Why Ruger would be late for that part of the game is beyond me.
View Quote

The lack of a threaded barrel will keep me from buying one, but I looked at one today and I was impressed. As soon as the barrel is threaded for my Sparrow I will buy one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The lack of a threaded barrel will keep me from buying one, but I looked at one today and I was impressed. As soon as the barrel is threaded for my Sparrow I will buy one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My LGS has a couple due in today. One is supposed to have a 18" barrel and the other a 22". I'm sure they will sell like hotcakes but as best as my LGS  can tell there is not a threaded version yet.

I don't care for what Ruger does with their current threaded 10-22s (take-down and Carbine) what with the long AR length threads and flash hider. I don't suspect they would do any different with the RAR when they get around to messing with it.

Given when Ruger brings out a threaded version of anything it's at least $100.00 more I'm just going to take my RARc to my Smith to have it done exactly the way I want it.

My Smith quoted me $125.00 so It's a pretty much a wash money wise and I'm in no great hurry as I have a threaded 16" barreled Savage MK II and a 10-22 with a 16" .920 Green River barreled 10-22 to get me through this squirrel season.

My Smith did the .920 16" GR barrel for me and did a great job on the thread/re-crown.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't care for what Ruger does with their current threaded 10-22s (take-down and Carbine) what with the long AR length threads and flash hider. I don't suspect they would do any different with the RAR when they get around to messing with it.

Given when Ruger brings out a threaded version of anything it's at least $100.00 more I'm just going to take my RARc to my Smith to have it done exactly the way I want it.

My Smith quoted me $125.00 so It's a pretty much a wash money wise and I'm in no great hurry as I have a threaded 16" barreled Savage MK II and a 10-22 with a 16" .920 Green River barreled 10-22 to get me through this squirrel season.

My Smith did the .920 16" GR barrel for me and did a great job on the thread/re-crown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good point
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I am patiently waiting as well. I am wanting the 22mag but will settle for the 22lr in the long version or the carbine if that's all that is available.
I have a huge stock pile of 22lr bulk in a variety of flavors and some non bulk as well. I am currently working on a nice stock pile of 22mag as it becomes available.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am patiently waiting as well. I am wanting the 22mag but will settle for the 22lr in the long version or the carbine if that's all that is available.
I have a huge stock pile of 22lr bulk in a variety of flavors and some non bulk as well. I am currently working on a nice stock pile of 22mag as it becomes available.
View Quote

22mag is out Ruger 22mag
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
They have both been out.  I bought the 22LR in full size and compact on the 5th and 6th of this month.  Both stores where I purchased mine, and one other store I went to had both the 22LR and the 22MAG models in stock.  But none of them had one of all four models at the same time.  I would have bought one at the first place, but their credit card machine was down, and I didn't have cash or checks with me.

The one I am waiting for is the 17HMR.  I think I might pass on the 22Mag.  I have plenty of 22LR and 17HMR ammo.  I have never bought any 22Mag and I certainly don't see any now.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 2:42:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am waiting for my distributors to get them back in stock. As of Friday the 8 distributors I order from did not have either one in stock. I am NOT paying retail for ANY gun! Having an FFL really helps!
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 3:52:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Odd that many "gun" folks I've talked to don't even know these rifles are stocking now or even that Ruger is making them in the first place. I think Ruger dropped the advertizing ball on this one.

A decent reasonably priced BA .22 that uses 10-22 mags is worth a bit more build-up than another damn M1911 clone.

My LGS has only sold two of the four they got in (I bought one) and they have had them better than a week. They are still available from their supplier too.

The lack of available .22 ammo at half-way decent prices might have something to do with it. All their new .22s are pretty much sitting on the shelves.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#12]
If I send you mine to use as a pattern will it come back with a free stock?
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Odd that many "gun" folks I've talked to don't even know these rifles are stocking now or even that Ruger is making them in the first place. I think Ruger dropped the advertizing ball on this one.

A decent reasonably priced BA .22 that uses 10-22 mags is worth a bit more build-up than another damn M1911 clone.

My LGS has only sold two of the four they got in (I bought one) and they have had them better than a week. They are still available from their supplier too.

The lack of available .22 ammo at half-way decent prices might have something to do with it. All their new .22s are pretty much sitting on the shelves.
View Quote

It is interesting, considering that marketing they put into their other recent products, they did nothing but a surprised release on this the week it came out. I wonder why?
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:53:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is a pic of the new American with the Marlin Tech Sights installed.  borrowed pic from a different forum

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I am waiting for my distributors to get them back in stock. As of Friday the 8 distributors I order from did not have either one in stock. I am NOT paying retail for ANY gun! Having an FFL really helps!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is dealer price on them? I am curious since prices are all over the place.  I am interested to know what they will come down to once dealers let them cool off price wise.  My regular dealer had a couple for $269 and he normally sells his stuff at about an 11% markup.  At $269, I think that is more like a 30% markup, if not more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What is dealer price on them? I am curious since prices are all over the place.  I am interested to know what they will come down to once dealers let them cool off price wise.  My regular dealer had a couple for $269 and he normally sells his stuff at about an 11% markup.  At $269, I think that is more like a 30% markup, if not more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine was $269.00 OTD including tax/call-in.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of the suppliers are showing $215.00 to $219.00 for them. All are being shown as allocated so they are getting them in and only the big buyers are getting first choice. I'm a small time dealer so I'll be one of the last to get called.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought one of the compacts today and stopped by ADCO's to drop off the barreled action. They're going to check it out and see if it's possible to chop the barrel to 16", thread it, make a proper sized thread protector, and remount the front sight. If it works out I should have pics next week.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought one of the compacts today and stopped by ADCO's to drop off the barreled action. They're going to check it out and see if it's possible to chop the barrel to 16", thread it, make a proper sized thread protector, and remount the front sight. If it works out I should have pics next week.
View Quote

Excellent.  Your playing guinea pig to what I was going to do.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Threaded barrel and a wood stock I would be in.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#22]
threaded barrel and I would be in as well.  Looks like it's the MK2 FV-SR
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#23]

ETA: I was able to get a few more to load. I'll get it cleaned up and outside when the weather breaks to get better pics. I'm about 98% positive I'm giving the whole thing a flat camo rattle can job.

Just got it home today and threw it together for a few quick pics. For some reason my hosting service is giving me trouble today, I'll post the rest ASAP. ADCO had no issues with the service (shorten/thread/remount front sight/thread protector). I didn't ask but it looks like they popped the pin and removed the barrel to do the work, must not be an issue. I'm very happy with it, money well spent. I know the Savage can be bought for less money, but I've had the Savage and much prefer the Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Whats the final length?
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/6775/bj95.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img109/9425/gqvi.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img23/5844/q8mo.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/8321/yml2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img163/7655/5bk8.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img543/7673/ot1r.jpg

ETA: I was able to get a few more to load. I'll get it cleaned up and outside when the weather breaks to get better pics. I'm about 98% positive I'm giving the whole thing a flat camo rattle can job.

Just got it home today and threw it together for a few quick pics. For some reason my hosting service is giving me trouble today, I'll post the rest ASAP. ADCO had no issues with the service (shorten/thread/remount front sight/thread protector). I didn't ask but it looks like they popped the pin and removed the barrel to do the work, must not be an issue. I'm very happy with it, money well spent. I know the Savage can be bought for less money, but I've had the Savage and much prefer the Ruger.
View Quote

Looks good, maybe now I can put it back on the list of wants.  
What did ADCO charge you for the work?
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Barrel was cut to 16", OAL with the short insert is 34". The total was $150 out the door.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Great rifle hobbydad. Think I know what my next purchase will be.

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Barrel was cut to 16", OAL with the short insert is 34". The total was $150 out the door.
View Quote

Cool thanks for the info.  Maybe that will be my next 22, but I just ordered a Henry Lever action 22LR so it will be a bit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My LGS got in four today (two compact/two regular) and despite my best efforts to resist buying one till they came out with a threaded verison I just came home with the compact version. I figure it will make the grandkid a nice .22.

Once I get it out of the box and give it a proper going over I'll post some pics.

One thing is for sure and that is that long-ass mag release will get shortened/rounded to a nub. It's a lost mag waiting to happen with that thing.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2wp1r8h.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/rrio2a.jpg

I mocked it up with the high comb stock insert and a scope.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/rihm4i.jpg
View Quote
Nice.

Now imagine if they make a take down version of this.

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/6775/bj95.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img109/9425/gqvi.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/5844/q8mo.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/8321/yml2.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/7655/5bk8.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/7673/ot1r.jpg

View Quote
Leupold rimfire 2-7 and you will have a very very nice .22lr rifle.

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, just need a good optic/sling/bipod. I had it out very briefly today while on a break at a club shoot. Just enough time to run 1 mag thru it suppressed. The only target I had was a steel plate @ 50 yards. Sights where just as they came out of the box. Click/ping, click/ping, click/ping, 10 times. I think it'll be a keeper.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 2:43:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

After reading this I contacted ADCO and the service broke down as follows, it was a heck of a lot more than $150.00 even if I was to walk it in.

Cut/crown/thread.....$144.00

Thread protector......$15.00

Relocate/D&T front sight hole.....$20.00

Return shipping............Actual so I figure $18.00 shipped/insured for the barreled action.

As I would also pay to have it shipped to ADCO I was looking at $200.00+ for the service. No thanks, not worth it for me.

My local smith can do it for $125.00 but his turn-around time is much longer.  Meh, I'm not a instant gratification type of guy anyway. I just need to get off my ass and take it to him.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 4:05:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

After reading this I contacted ADCO and the service broke down as follows, it was a heck of a lot more than $150.00 even if I was to walk it in.

Return shipping............Actual so I figure $18.00 shipped/insured for the barreled action.

As I would also pay to have it shipped to ADCO I was looking at $200.00+ for the service. No thanks, not worth it for me.

My local smith can do it for $125.00 but his turn-around time is much longer.  Meh, I'm not a instant gratification type of guy anyway. I just need to get off my ass and take it to him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What scope are your running on your rifle?
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What scope are your running on your rifle?
View Quote

Well till today (I finally got off my ass and dropped the RAR off at my Smith to have it threaded this morning) I had a 4X Simmons .22 mag on it but when I get it back I'm going to try a like new 26mm tubed Kollmorgen 2.75 X 26 Bear Cub on it I found at the flea market and see how it shoots.

I'll take the Simmons with me on sight-in day in case it does not pan out.

I think the compact size of the Kollmorgen will be a good fit for the rifle in the squirrel woods.

Mine looks like this except it has more of a gray finish.

Link Posted: 10/8/2013 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Are these barrels threaded and pinned to the receiver or just press fit and pinned? Mine looks like it has threads but everything I read said it was just pinned.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are these barrels threaded and pinned to the receiver or just press fit and pinned? Mine looks like it has threads but everything I read said it was just pinned.
View Quote

Look in your manual.  The diagram does not show threads and it clearly shows a pin designed to hold it in place.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here is a pic of the new American with the Marlin Tech Sights installed.  borrowed pic from a different forum

<a href="http://s116.photobucket.com/user/MrPiggy89/media/photo_zps6e75e6be.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/MrPiggy89/photo_zps6e75e6be.jpg</a>
View Quote

Even better, we need NODAK Spud to make a set of sights. Maybe just a receiver mounted AR style rear sight that matches the factory front. If possible.......I have a set of the 10/22 sights and they are the best thing I ever did for that gun.

Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yes, just need a good optic/sling/bipod. I had it out very briefly today while on a break at a club shoot. Just enough time to run 1 mag thru it suppressed. The only target I had was a steel plate @ 50 yards. Sights where just as they came out of the box. Click/ping, click/ping, click/ping, 10 times. I think it'll be a keeper.
View Quote
Sounds like a fun gun.

How fast can you work the bolt, and how smooth?
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#40]
The bolt needs breaking in, out of the box it's very tight where the back of the bolt handle locks down into the receiver. When the actions open it's not loose like my FV-SR was, when I had that bolt all the way back it was sloppy and wiggled around, the Ruger doesn't do that. It's smooth with a very short throw, like most 22LR bolt guns I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The bolt needs breaking in, out of the box it's very tight where the back of the bolt handle locks down into the receiver. When the actions open it's not loose like my FV-SR was, when I had that bolt all the way back it was sloppy and wiggled around, the Ruger doesn't do that. It's smooth with a very short throw, like most 22LR bolt guns I suppose.
View Quote
I wonder how well it will be once broken in.

Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I REALLY like my FVSR but you guys are making me want one of these too. Once they come out with a threaded version I'll probably pick one up. Bolt action, good build quality, takes 10/22 mags, sounds like a perfect combo to me!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Thinking about ordering one of these to replace the factory bolt handle.

http://gladesarmory.com/home/8/ruger-american-rifle-tactical-knob.html
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You might want to check before ordering, but that appears to be for centerfire models only.  I am looking at my 308 and my rimfire, and they are completely different.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You might want to check before ordering, but that appears to be for centerfire models only.  I am looking at my 308 and my rimfire, and they are completely different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah ghey...I was looking at the bolt handle not the bolt itself. Guess i'll send them an email see if they are making one for the rimfire.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I REALLY like my FVSR but you guys are making me want one of these too. Once they come out with a threaded version I'll probably pick one up. Bolt action, good build quality, takes 10/22 mags, sounds like a perfect combo to me!
View Quote
+1, and I am sure someone will come out with a free floated stock and a heavy barrel as well.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#47]
^^^^

Awesome looking rifle.  I'm jealous.  Gotta go look for one now...
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Well the guys over at gladesarmory looked at a bunch of pictures of the bolt broken down and they said it doesn't look like anything they will be entertaining in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#49]
I will also wait and see if a threaded version comes out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well the guys over at gladesarmory looked at a bunch of pictures of the bolt broken down and they said it doesn't look like anything they will be entertaining in the near future.
View Quote

Just get the knob threaded and use a universal $30 knob for, or go the "chop, weld threaded pin, thread on" route. The latter can be done by most in their garage.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top