Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#1]
This is interesting.  I'm not too sure if my logic is correct here or not, but we'll see.

I've seen someone say that the lead and mercury would form an alloy, OK to prevent this and let the theory continue lets say we have a capsule containing this mercury. It would then be allowed to stay in it's liquid state until impact.  You have still got the problem of the free flowing liquid inside the capsule.  I'm not sure what physics law they were teaching that day (years ago) in high school science, but do you remember spining the hard boiled egg and the raw one?  I don't believe it would be accurate at all.    To play this theory into a scenario, lets say you and you're target (which has the same gun as you, but with unaltered ammo) is 200 yards apart, do you really want to jump up and blindly spray inaccurate liquid filled bullets hoping you hit and possibly poision(though that's questionable) the target, or percicely and accurately pick him off?

I'm all for new stuff and experiments, and I'm sorry if it seems that I'm attacking anyone. I just don't think mercury is the answer.  Has anyone heard of droping a BB (air rifle ammo) into the cavity of a hollow point?  Lots of guys around here say it gives maximum spread and penetration.  The construction looks to be just a regular hollow point with a BB crimped inside.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I completely glossed over the accuracy issue.  If you were able to accurately contain the Hg on the axis of the bullet, it being fluid in nature wouldn't pose much of a problem as long as all of the Hg had the same density.  Eggs do not and since the yolk is different than the white and is very viscous, it will rapidly damp rotation.

IMHO, the mercury issue is more from a writer hearing of mercury fulminate being put into bullets for explosive effect. As this writer didn't have the same chemistry classes that the ballistician/gun nut that told him, mercury fulminate became mercury...wonder what would have transpired had the ballistician used lead azide...BTW, its much more effective than mercury fulminate. And easier to make. Yes, I know how to make it but no way I would tell you...or recommend it.  A little HP full of it would bulge a rifle barrel it it were to go off prematurely.  Some of these "devastator" modified rounds go off with little provacation, like passing through a target!

BB's in hollowpoints are another urban shooting legend.  Tried them and most of the time they inhibited expansion in Fackler boxes, water logged phonebooks and game.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was at the FFL yesterday, and one of the old timers were talking about how he dips his bullets in his revolver in garlic.    

Says the garlic will make sure the dude is dead, if not from the wound, but because he will get blood poisoning.  
Is that true?

c-rock

If it were true, Little Caesars garlic crust pizza would kill you.  Now go back and tell the old timer I said he was full of sh-t.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Maybe a dumb question, but what were Winchester Silver-tips made of?

Mike

The original silvertips were aluminum jacketed.  Nowadays it is just a nickel plated copper jacket.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top