Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 3:56:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I tape each show. Usually one show on Friday night and a different one on Sunday morning.

Due to a 50% increase in our family (now three instead of two) we will be cuting back on luxury items such as cable tv. We will be getting Dish network, but you need the deluxe package in order to get OLN, and that is $10.00 more a month than the cable is right now.

However, I have a co-worker who is as much of a gun nut as I am who is willing to tape each show for me.

Jim, It's nice to see you are as genuine on this board as you are on tv. I don't know of many people in your standing that would take the time to answer us on a one on one basis as you have been on this thread.

My biggest laugh from watching your show was when you touched off a round in the 4 bore.
Man that what something to see!

Keep up the excellent work, ...(forgive me) And keep them in the ten ring.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Woo Hoo! Comcrap just added OLN in SE Michigan.

I like the new stuff because I get to see the latest in hardware and tactics.

I like the reruns because I pick up details I missed the first time.

Hell, I just plain like it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Ever since I got the Dish system with the built in hard drive, I never miss AS. Great show, Jim. Even my wife who doe not like guns AT ALL will watch with some interest. Maybe some day...
Thanks and keep it up!
Pit
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Comcast has it here in MO.
Its great. OLN is on there basic cable menu.

I like reruns, newruns, allruns.

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Jim,

Great show, my wife and I watch it every week. I do have to comment on the lack of safe gun handling demonstrated by the two women using fanny packs in one episode. That really was scary! That should have been edited out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Jim I don't get the show out here in NY on cable. I do know about your shows, but never put your name together on the board with it. It's an honor having you here and at Glock talk.

If I did get your show this is what I would like to see. A series on how we are responsible people. Not crazed nuts like being portrayed. I understand its like preaching to the choir. Maybe some anti people might be flicking and stop to watch.

It would be nice to show how a site like AR15.com or even Glock Talk are more of a family. I don't think even people that watch your show know this. Maybe a segment on the different websites out there would be helpful.

Sure a thing on tactical AR use would be nice or how to build one from different kits. What we really need are people to start understanding the true mentality of a shooter. Be it for Highpower, Bulls eye, IDPA or any of the disciplines of shooting.

Has far as support for you in the NRA. I think I would stand behind you if you are has good as people say you are. My main concern is to start showing us in a brighter and positive light.

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ever since I got the Dish system with the built in hard drive, I never miss AS. Great show, Jim. Even my wife who doe not like guns AT ALL will watch with some interest. Maybe some day...
Thanks and keep it up!
Pit

Pit:  

The objective has always been:  good story-telling that will entertain and explain shooting and history well enough that the folks who thought they weren't interested in guns... begin to get interested in guns.

Couple more shows with women shooters... and then you invite the wife out to the range to try your small caliber guns.

Jim

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jim I don't get the show out here in NY on cable. If I did get your show this is what I would like to see. A series on how we are responsible people. Not crazed nuts like being portrayed.

What we really need are people to start understanding the true mentality of a shooter. Be it for Highpower, Bulls eye, IDPA or any of the disciplines of shooting.

My main concern is to start showing us in a brighter and positive light.

edpmedic:

Sorry to report that you've missed 10 years of shows that do exactly what you're asking for... portray men, women, children as families, participating in safe, responsible shooting sports.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Jim,

I just wanted to say i dont get a chance to see the show very much, but i do enjoy it when i get a chance to sit down and watch it.  Let me just say your great to watch on TV.  You even seem to make that car review show interesting.  What a job you have, i think we are all jealous.  Good luck

Mark
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Jim,

How about a show with the Weapons of the United States Marine Corps?  We could let you shoot, the M16A2, M4, Benelli M4, SPR, the Barret 50, M2, 240 Golf, M249 Saw, the M9 Pistol, maybe even a 155 Howitzer and a 125mm Main Gun for a M1A1 Abrahams.  

You could talk to Grunts, Scout Snipers, and Recon Marines.

Just some food for thought.

Max
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Jim,

How about a show with the Weapons of the United States Marine Corps?  We could let you shoot, the M16A2, M4, Benelli M4, SPR, the Barret 50, M2, 240 Golf, M249 Saw, the M9 Pistol, maybe even a 155 Howitzer and a 125mm Main Gun for a M1A1 Abrahams.  

You could talk to Grunts, Scout Snipers, and Recon Marines.

Just some food for thought.

Max

Max:  

That was exactly what I had set up about 18 months ago... a trip to Quantico to see and try anything short of a crew served weapon.  Got top general officer approval from the Pentagon... and we were all set to go in the first week of September.  

And suddenly the Marines got way too busy with some overseas assignments, as you will recall.

So that idea is on hold until most of the Corps isn't staging off shore from Iraq.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Jim,

A million thanks to you & American Shooter show!  OLN was the only reason that we ponied up $60 a month for DISH Network.  Tour De France Cycling and American Shooter is a nice mix!!!

I happened to catch (and taped) the episode featuring the 2002 3-Gun National in Vegas.  One of guys in this show is a competitor from my area.  (Of course, he received a nice little VHS present from me).

Is there a way for us to find out what will be featured in the upcoming shows?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Jim,

Sure...here it is.

http://www.americanshooter.com/Show_Schedule/show_schedule.asp
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jim,

Sure...here it is.

http://www.americanshooter.com/Show_Schedule/show_schedule.asp

Guys:

There's a better and more accurate way to get the content:  Use the schedule finder in my website:  www.JimScoutten.com then click "guns" then "tv schedule" and you'll find a link that sucks in the OLN schedule for American Shooter.  This one is accurate.

The AS Website isn't being maintained very well these days... so you're likely to get mis-information.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Jim, Has American Shooter ever done a segment featuring or at least briefly touching on the Winchester 32 Spl?

I am interested because my grandfather gave me his 1894 lever action prior to his death. Any info you could shed on this caliber would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Jim, I am really pleased to see you on this forum. I believe your show really promotes competition and firearms ownership in general.
It is the only TV show that I will go out of my way to watch.
 With that, I have a question, I missed the episode of the USPSA 3-gun nationals,I waited a while and no re-run. Today I sent an E-mail to OLN asking about it and they told me (ya I got a response really fast!!) they had no plans of running that episode again. Do you know why?
Steve
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Jim, Has American Shooter ever done a segment featuring or at least briefly touching on the Winchester 32 Spl?

I am interested because my grandfather gave me his 1894 lever action prior to his death. Any info you could shed on this caliber would be appreciated.

Stoney:

The Winchester .32 Special was one of several new smokeless powder rounds introduced in 1894 with John Browning's new design for Winchester that had the rear locking lugs, strong enough to contain the energy of smokeless.  

The better known of the new rounds is the 30-30 Winchester which is still frequently selected for close to medium range deer hunting.  

And there are still ammo companies factory loading the .32 Winchester Special, even though few people are familiar with the chambering.  It becomes one of those oddities of history that the .32 special ought to be the more famous round because it can be somewhat more powerful than the .30-30 with the same weight bullet.

Now the real question is how old your Grandfather's Model 94 may be... and what condition.  It could be quite valuable.

Jim Scoutten
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Stoney-Point. I inherited my Grandfathers model 94 in .32 spl as well. It is my prized possession. The serial # is 1622***. I think it was made in 1942 but I'm not 100% sure.

Striker:

Jim
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Wow. Older then I thought. Thank you very much Jim. Not that there is enough money to buy it but it is in very good shape. Bluing is around 75-80%. Most of it is worn off the receiver in front of the ejection port as my Grandfather carried it with his hand there.
I've fired 5 rounds through it in 12 years. But..I take it out of the cabinet quite often and just hold it and give it a light coat of oil!

Striker:

In the most common configuration of the time... value comes up as $2,500 with that much finish remaining.

I'll offer $500 if you get hard up for cash.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#23]
It is in good to excellent condition. Still blue, no wear marks or scratches. Stock has a few bumps and dents, but nothing too major.

Now, here is the kicker....serial number is 268XXX. Any info for me?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It's an excellent show, but I haven't been able to find it since I got "Dish" TV. The best part of the show was that my wife would sit through an entire show whereas she would start B####ing after ten minutes at a Hogh Power match.

Dish has American Shooter on OLN.  Trust me, I work there and watch it every Friday and Saturday.  I think its channel 151.

I love American Shooter.  I have noticed that they are putting some new and old together.  I dont mind watching reruns but really look forward to the new shows.

I especially enjoyed the series with Rob Leatham from team Springfield Armory.  I found his pointers to be extremely helpfull with my shooting technique.

Jim, thanks for everything you do for the gun community!

Link Posted: 11/18/2002 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It is in good to excellent condition. Still blue, no wear marks or scratches. Stock has a few bumps and dents, but nothing too major.

Now, here is the kicker....serial number is 268XXX. Any info for me?

Stoney:

We're still talking Winchester Model 94, right?

Then yours is 1902.

And we're going to call your description "Excellent".  

Now we move into the difficult area of determining which of the 94 variations yours may be... octogon barrel... half octogon... fancy checkering on the stock or not... length of magazine tube.  Carbine or Rifle... and then caliber.

The range here for a 94 of that vintage can be anywhere from $3,000 to as much as $50,000 if you have a documented factory engraved take down, deluxe, short rifle.

Whatever it is... keep it in the gun safe!

Jim
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Jim,

I sent you an e-mail complete with pictures of my rifle. I hope you can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Stoney Point
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Mr. Scoutten,
Love the shows.  I'd like to see your continued support of team shooting sports, I especially liked the highschool trap team show.  I think more kids would be interested in shooting if they could do it with a bunch of their friends.  How about a "Young American Shooter" club or "Youth Shooter of the Month" kind of thing to profile a young person who excells at a shooting sport.

We need to keep our children well informed with the truth of gun ownership.  Lord knows they are force-fed the liberal agenda for 7-8 hours a schoolday.

Keep up the GREAT work,
Jimno
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Jim,

I sent you an e-mail complete with pictures of my rifle. I hope you can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Stoney Point

I received it.  And I'll see what I can figure out in a bit.  I've been tied up this afternoon.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Jim, Just stumbled on this thread. Thank You for all you are doing!!! You have a great show with American Shooter that is SO needed. A TV bit that shows the POSITIVE side of the shooting sports instead of the "murder and mayhem" of prime time TV and media. Thank you.

You also must be aware how many of us are ardent fans of cars, motorsports and firearms.
You have a GREAT thing going here and should have no problem getting sponsors and support for your ongoing efforts. We are with you all the way!!!  Thanks, Dave H.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Jim:

My wife and I noticed the new stuff added in.  Just curious if we can get a few shows dedicated to some of the C&R stuff that has been popular of late. Perhaps a way to introduce sport shooting to those who can't afford to spend large $$ on firearms but can find enjoyment in the older Mausers and mosins, SKSs  and cheap surplus ammo. In truth I enjoy these as much as my Bushmaster HBAR. We really enjoy the show and would love to have you visit us at Bulletfest in Ohio this year.  We understand that productions schedules may not always coincide with local events but Judging from past years, its an event not to be missed and is generally a good time.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I dont watch much TV. My wife knows what I like.

[wife yelling into next room]
JOHNNNN JOHHHNN that gun show with the car guy is on. [/wife yelling into next room]

I shoot Idpa and ipsc and really like the parts of the show that showcase the action shooting.

Thanks for the show and unless you have a really messed up personal life you seem to living a dream of mine. Fast cars, fast guns and the fame of TV

GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#32]
"That Gun Show with the Car Guy..."

Great!

So we know she's paying more attention than she might want to admit to.

JIm
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top