Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The last time 158gr 9mm ammo (IMI blue tip)was available about 1525yrs ago, it came with a disclaimer to not use it in pistols, and was known to make a mess of MP5s. That ammo spits out of a 10" barrel around 1025fps.  I haven't chronyed any blue tip in years, so that's old data, but a good reference of the limits for the load.

Friends who have been playing around with Fiocchi 158gr, are seeing an average 980fps from a 10" barrel.  Those numbers were achieved over the winter, 40-50 degrees. We haven't had the chrony out yet this summer, but almost double the temp and the velocities are going to rise.

You may be just fine with the 158s, and you may get a hot batch to rival the old IMI blue tip.  Or, you can stick with 147s, and not worry about it.  YMMV, but I too would love to hear if Kel recommends the use of 158gr 9mm in pistols.

I'll compare the 2 side by side in a couple weeks, I have a bunch of IMI blue tip. I'll see how close/far apart they really are.

Thanks for the info,  I suppose the slight chance of an issue is really not worth the couple of decibel difference.  Plus, the Fiocchi 158's are getting more costly and more difficult to find as of late.  UMC 147 seems to work just fine, for less money.  I am interested to see what your findings are, regardless.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
OST

Interested to see what Gemtech says about 158gr ammo.

I doubt the Fiocchi 158gr stuff is as hot as the old IMI blue tip... but I could be wrong.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The box of ammo says "pistol shooting dynamics" right on it.  

I know there have been some 9mm ammo types designed specifically for submachine gun use ONLY, but obviously that box design hardly suggests that.  The SMG ammo often says "SUBMACHINE GUN ONLY"

Additionally +p+ ammo is similar to SMG only ammo, and is on some sites listed as "for law enforcement grade firearms only" <whatever that means.  I would stay away from +P+ ammo simply because it is less safe obviously if some of the +P+ has warnings to use it in Submachine guns only.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
158gr out of a pistol? Isn't there a note on the box to only shoot that ammo through carbines/subguns? 147gr ammo and the can would still be in one piece I'd bet.

No

There should be. That ammo is not for use in pistols, and is the reason the can is broke.

And your reasoning behind this is what?

This is the third gemtech can, that I know about, that has done this...this year.

158rg 9mm ammo is for blowback carbines and submachine guns. No pistol, or pistol suppressor with a booster was made/designed for the torque/pressure/recoil whatever you want to call it of that ammo.  That stuff will  tear up the insides of an MP5 too.    158gr 9mm ammo is great in a suppressed UZI, STEN, MAC, etc. but you will ruin a locking action pistol with that stuff.
I'm sure Kel or PhD will be along soon, and recommend no one use 158gr 9mm in a locking pistol, or a boosted suppressor - or, they may tell me I'm wrong.  Either way, I don't recommend it.

I agree with this, I always shot 158 grain stuff from SMG's, but never from a pistol for no reason whatsoever.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a photo of the Fiocchi 158gr 9mm box.  You wouldn't shoot something labeled "Pistol Shooting Dynamics" through a pistol?

Fiocchi 158gr 9mm Subsonic

ETA:  It is rated at 940fps and 309 ft lbs of energy- hardly a hotrod.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been shooting fiochii 158 through my AR and beretta with a Liberty Mystic for awhile now... no issues.  The beretta will not cycle due to the weight of the can and I have not gotten a booster yet, so I can't say much else.  On top of that, I'm using multimount adapters with the Mystic...
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I could be wrong but the pictures look like there is a lot of carbon build up. Will that have affect? I don't know much about silencers. I never heard about the 158 grain bullet for carbines only.That's why I love this site because I get to learn so much. I usually train with same grain that functions best my various pistols. In my LC9 use 115grain and in my Beretta 92 it likes the 147 grain.   I hope you get good customer service.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Seen  broken multi mounts before.  Can't blame them all on ammo.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sucks but I'm sure they'll take care of it. If it were me, I would have probably laughed my ass off when it went flying downrange.

I call BS on laughing your ass off. Maybe, just maybe later on down the road, but not right away. I would be PISSED!

OP, yours isnt the first one I have heard this happening too. Not sure how the others played out though. Good luck.

Others?  I have one of these on my shopping list.  I would like to hear more about this, and I may have to pick a different model/brand.  

Dang.  Good luck OP!!!  I know Gemtech will take care of it.  The last two times I had issues they took care of it, but wouldn't give me as little as a discount on an adapter in return for my troubles, time, or the shipping I paid for.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I dont understand why 158gr automatically means bad for handguns? I thought what made some 9mm bad was that it was much higher pressure intended only for subguns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here is a photo of the Fiocchi 158gr 9mm box.  You wouldn't shoot something labeled "Pistol Shooting Dynamics" through a pistol?

On page 31 of their 2012 catalog, Fiocchi specs the 9APE 158gr load at 850fps/253fpe from a four inch barrel.

Hotrod or not, in the context of the 9x19mm cartridge, 158gr at 940fps is in fact a hot load.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#15]
And on page 26 of the Fiocchi catalog:

"If you run a suppressed 9mm pistol or subgun, check out our 158 FMJ load."
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On page 31 of their 2012 catalog, Fiocchi specs the 9APE 158gr load at 850fps/253fpe from a four inch barrel.

Hotrod or not, in the context of the 9x19mm cartridge, 158gr at 940fps is in fact a hot load.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It may have a peak pressure at 9mm maximum, but it's not going to be harder on the gun or can in a browning style system. It will have a lower powder volume and an average exit pressure. Someone with quickload can back me up on this with some numbers.

That peak pressure and longer dwell time (due to the slower bullet) is where you run into problems with the Mp5 locking system using parts designed for lighter bullets.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Spoke with Gemtech today, was given the option of having the damaged can turned into a Tundra-SV.  Going to test out the Tundra-SV and see how it compares to the Multimount as far as sound reduction goes, if I'm not happy with it Gemtech will pay the $200 tax stamp and send me a new Multimount.

Kel and everyone I have corresponded with at Gemtech have been top notch professionals and I'm very pleased with how they have handled this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Spoke with Gemtech today,

Sounds like you will have a resolution either way however has there been discussion or a statement as to the cause?

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you will have a resolution either way however has there been discussion or a statement as to the cause?

They received the can today, they have not had time to properly investigate what caused failure.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Spoke with Gemtech today, was given the option of having the damaged can turned into a Tundra-SV.  Going to test out the Tundra-SV and see how it compares to the Multimount as far as sound reduction goes, if I'm not happy with it Gemtech will pay the $200 tax stamp and send me a new Multimount.

Kel and everyone I have corresponded with at Gemtech have been top notch professionals and I'm very pleased with how they have handled this.

Would that mean another 6 month wait?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Maybe not, since the tundra sv is shortened version of their 9mm cans, they can just cut off the damaged end and reinstall a new booster receiver assembly. All that would need to be done is do a length change notification to the Atf if that.I highlighted the part about them turning the damaged can into an SV

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, shit happens. I'm very glad to hear that Gemtech will take care of you. Not that I doubted that. I run a Tundra 9mm without any issues. But I use 147gr subsonics only.

I'd love to hear about the cause of your failure though from the folks at Gemtech.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll have the MM turned into a Tundra next week, if I don't like it and decide to pursue a new MM yes another 6+ month wait.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#26]
had almost the same problem with my Gemtec and my Glock 19.

I got a slight "kiss" on the end cap of my can and all the rounds were tumbling after exit to the point it sounded like a ricochet after each shot (about 3-4)

called gemtec and was told only shoot 147 as max weight bullet.

they say the bullet is too long to be stabilized in the twist rate of a glock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I got a slight "kiss" on the end cap of my can and all the rounds were tumbling after exit to the point it sounded like a ricochet after each shot (about 3-4)

they say the bullet is too long to be stabilized in the twist rate of a glock

That's interesting, thanks for the info.  That is a completely different reason than others are giving to stay away from 158's.  I have shot 158's out of a Glock 17 at 60 yards, no keyhole's whatsoever.  OP said it wasn't a baffle strike, so we can't blame the ammo not stabilizing for his particular failure.

EDIT:  Regardless, I would follow Gemtechs advice, if for nothing other than making sure there are no warranty issues.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:35:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

they say the bullet is too long to be stabilized in the twist rate of a glock.

soo how long are the 147grains hollow points ,how long are the roundnosed 158 grains

i have seen many 158 grains  fired for accuracy in Glocks . long range =subsonic from the start = no problems with transition velocity's =same velocity as ,22lr= shoot the same with both ammo types

can be done with 147 also ,but might be too weak  

what does the calculations say ,,, twist needed for a 158 at 850 fps is =???,Glock have ??

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#29]
No problems here either with stabilization of Fiocchi 158s out of a G19 with a factory threaded barrel. Much less gas and carbon in my face with this load, and they are consistent and accurate as well. FWIW, this load has also performed admirably in my MP5 clone, with the ball/FMJ profile being more conducive to reliable feeding over flat point 147s. The only potential issue I've ever heard about is that you could possibly break the roller retainer pin in an MP5 bolt. Now, this load does not do very well in my SIG P239, with a very low POI and tons of gas & carbon coming back into my face, however, I think the POI shifts may be a function of the much heavier projectile combined with adding a significant amount of weight on such a short barrel.

It is noteworthy that Fiocchi markets it for pistols and subguns. One would think that if there was a potential problem that there's a degree of liability tied into it. One would expect a relatively high profile ammo manufacturer like Fiocchi to be tuned in to that possibility, if it's a real one.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:50:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're not talking about he old IMI blue tip, here.

Whats the difference?

could be the powder

if you have read the things about the Supmachine gun powder(Witavouori 330) over at the finish site
then you know about the problems with later peak pressure ,.its good for long barrels submachine guns

can be used in some Handguns , BUT can and will give problems in some ,,both blowbacks and locked

The bluetip was marked for non Pistol use. ...for a reason ,it was a special purpose ammo

maybe they  DID use a special powder for a special purpose ,,,and wisely marked the ammo boxes

they even went so far and painted ALL the bullet tips BLUE so even if you had a single round laying around ,,you did know what it was

BUT if i remember correctly , they DID make a 158 grain  non blue tip version ...for short barrels guns , no marking about not using them in a pistol .

just  saying

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's interesting, thanks for the info.  That is a completely different reason than others are giving to stay away from 158's.  I have shot 158's out of a Glock 17 at 60 yards, no keyhole's whatsoever.  OP said it wasn't a baffle strike, so we can't blame the ammo not stabilizing for his particular failure.

EDIT:  Regardless, I would follow Gemtechs advice, if for nothing other than making sure there are no warranty issues.

Glock factory barrels are rifled four turns per meter, or one turn in 9.843 inches.  This is among the faster twist rates to be found in pistol barrels.  If a Glock barrel is not rifled with a fast enough twist for 158gr, what is?

He has got to be talking about an aftermarket barrel for, which are typically one turn in 16 inches.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock factory barrels are rifled four turns per meter, or one turn in 9.843 inches.  This is among the faster twist rates to be found in pistol barrels.  If a Glock barrel is not rifled with a fast enough twist for 158gr, what is?

He has got to be talking about an aftermarket barrel for, which are typically one turn in 16 inches.

That was also what triggered my alarm
most US barrels are riffled 1 in 16 , most European are 1 in 10

so if the US barrels can stabilize  normal ammo (115-125 grain ) then how is 1 in 10 to slow for a 158

isnt the ,38 auto a 130 grain , in a 1 in 16 barrel (Colt ) and that at subsonic velocitys

ok i did just check

,38 colt auto  130 grain bullet 1 in 16 twist muzzle vel 1040

,38 spc 200 grain bullet  1 in 16 twist muzzle vel 730

,38 long Colt 150 grain bullet 1 in 16 twist muzzle vel 770
,38 SmithWesson 200 grain bullet 1 in 16 OR 1 in 18 twist muzzle vel  630

the slower the bullet the faster twist is needed

but if a the numbers shown are right (all from Cartridges of the world 5th edition ) then how can the twist be to slow in a Glock with a 158 grain bullet at 850 fps

smells strange
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]
147 grain bullets

158 grains

Remember folks ,,its NOT the weight that governs the needed twist ,,,its the length

Take a look at the last 147 grain  bullet,,its a non hollowpoint , look how much shorter it is

so what if a 158 grain is a non hollowpoint ,versus a 147 hollowpoint

To me it looks like some 147 grain bullets are LONGER than the 158 roundnose bullets used by IMI and others

soo what does this mean ??

you can lie you can cheat , but you can NOT  break the laws of nature

a 147 grain bullet that is longer than a what ever bullet will need a FASTER twist than the shorter bullet

but i have a idea , why not call and ask Glock if its ok to fire a 158 at subsonic velicitys from there 9 mm guns
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have the MM turned into a Tundra next week, if I don't like it and decide to pursue a new MM yes another 6+ month wait.

They should let you keep the Tundra in the mean time until the new MM comes in if it was in fact a defect with their can. Not really fair to leave you without a can for 6 months if they could accommodate you with something in the mean time even if it's not exactly what you want. Kinda like a rental car.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:

We're not talking about he old IMI blue tip, here.

Whats the difference?

Pressure and velocity.

Subgun ammo is loaded to higher pressures.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry, but this is NOT a resolution.  How do you compensate for the hassle and wait?  If he chose to go with another multimount, he would have to now wait another 6 to 8 months before he could use his can again.  I would not be happy with that arrangement.  No, I would expect more from Gemtech than this.  They'd have to replace the can AND give a MAJOR discount or even a free second can of my choosing before I'd accept that deal.  NFA stuff is a hassle, and when you only get to get 2 shots off of your brand new can you have already waited 6 months for, now being forced to wait another 2 months for the F3 to transfer, and then another 6 months for the form 4?  Sorry, no thank you.  And I would only go for the Tundra if it was a BETTER can than the MultiMount.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Wouldent it be as simple a s finding another Multimount can at a dealer

i can not believe that there isnt any for sale somewhere

he would still have to wait for a new stamp , but that is to be expected

in the meantime they could rebuild his broken can (they have a shoop that can do that )
, that would be like having another car while the car company did work on the car that was supposed to be flawless  
then when he gets his multimount (found at a dealer ), they could offer him to buy the rebuild at a good price (i dont think they could sell it to others )  if they did a good work on it , he might buy it
that way they could regain a little of the cost involved

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
\, that would be like having another car while the car company did work on the car that was supposed to be flawless  
then when he gets his multimount (found at a dealer ), they could offer him to buy the rebuild at a good price (i dont think they could sell it to others )  if they did a good work on it , he might buy it

you can't repair that type of failure and stay on the same stamp, so it's not worth it. What they're offering is to make a shorter can out of the original, which can stay on the same stamp.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Why is there a bullet dimple a half diameter away from the bore axis in picture 7?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
\, that would be like having another car while the car company did work on the car that was supposed to be flawless  

you can't repair that type of failure and stay on the same stamp, so it's not worth it. What they're offering is to make a shorter can out of the original, which can stay on the same stamp.

I know , and i know what they offered , THAT was the  thing he would have until they tracked down a new multimount and the waiting time for the stamp

getting one from a dealer should be easy ,,,just buy it ,or make a deal with the dealer

the damaged can can be repaired to a useful can ,  , of course not as good as the original , but WAY better than nothing in the waiting time for the replacement can

NOW IF the threads are bad on both ends then it will get really short,

due to the NFA rules they can not give him a can ,,or can they

come to think about it , what if every silencer company did own a few cans on a trust

THEN IF they needed to let some have a can for a time being , couldn't they ad said person as a trustie  

then that person could legally have the can in his/her control for as long as they where mentioned in the trust ??

just like a car from the car company, that you can have as long as your own care is in for repair  

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why is there a bullet dimple a half diameter away from the bore axis in picture 7?

Most suppressors that I have taken apart are like that
Don't quite understand the engineering behind it, or if it is part of the manufacturing process, but i do know that it is normal

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most suppressors that I have taken apart are like that

Don't quite understand the engineering behind it, or if it is part of the manufacturing process, but i do know that it is normal

It's real simple - the scoop introduces a pressure difference so gases enter the next chamber at an angle so they are slowed from exiting it. The K baffle has a port where the gases are directed into a blind chamber, but other designs like the Epsilon and SWR's new frusto cones skip the chamber and do just as well.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#43]
It's not ammo or Glock Barrels,, come on! I shoot both in another brand 9mm can as well as 220 gr 300 blk.

I have no issues with GT but it seems to be Bad manufacturing/ weak tube and they should be plenty familare with this issue. 3rd post from the bottom is another similar issue and the OP posted the other end blowing out. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88107&start=25
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#44]
I had almost the exact same failure two years ago with my tundra on an AR SBRed to 5 inches. Gemtech destroyed my old can and sent me a new one at no charge. Not even the stamp. Took awhile to clear F-troop but after it did it was mailed directly to me. Kinda cool recieving a can to your door.

ETA: Damn you Autocorrect!!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I just spoke with Liberty, and they said I can shoot Fiocchi 158gr all day long out of my Infiniti.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry, but this is NOT a resolution.  How do you compensate for the hassle and wait?  If he chose to go with another multimount, he would have to now wait another 6 to 8 months before he could use his can again.  I would not be happy with that arrangement.  No, I would expect more from Gemtech than this.  They'd have to replace the can AND give a MAJOR discount or even a free second can of my choosing before I'd accept that deal.  NFA stuff is a hassle, and when you only get to get 2 shots off of your brand new can you have already waited 6 months for, now being forced to wait another 2 months for the F3 to transfer, and then another 6 months for the form 4?  Sorry, no thank you.  And I would only go for the Tundra if it was a BETTER can than the MultiMount.

Better than Gemtech saying tough luck.... They offered an immediate fix to avoid another 6 month wait or a new can that they would pay $200 stamp.

Not gemtechs fault for the NFA. Don't hate the player hate the game.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#47]
My MM turned Tundra-SV arrives Thursday, I'll be out of town on business unfortunately so I won't be able to test until the weekend. No word yet from Gemtech on what caused the failure.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Tundra SV - sick.  I've been interested in one of those for some time.  Sorry for your troubles - interested in the range report & your take on the modified can.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My MM turned Tundra-SV arrives Thursday, I'll be out of town on business unfortunately so I won't be able to test until the weekend. No word yet from Gemtech on what caused the failure.

Glad to hear Gemtech is still standing behind their product! I'm sorry that happened, but it really could have been worse..

They could have told you we're sending YOUR can back. You need to contact ammo manufacture to get funds for a replacement.

Things happen, no matter what. It all depends on your treated by a company when things go south. From what I've read I'd give Gemtech 2 thumbs up!
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad to hear Gemtech is still standing behind their product! I'm sorry that happened, but it really could have been worse..

They could have told you we're sending YOUR can back. You need to contact ammo manufacture to get funds for a replacement.

Things happen, no matter what. It all depends on your treated by a company when things go south. From what I've read I'd give Gemtech 2 thumbs up!
I've been very pleased so far with how they have handled the situation.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top