Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I voted Vector Uzi.

In the AR15 platform I just don't see any reason to leave the rifle calibers, unless you're stuck shooting at a range that doesn't allow 9mm and want to practice with your AR15. In that case I'd get it in .22 and go even cheaper.

If (for whatever reason) you want a subgun, get a subgun.  That means Uzi, or SW5, or Thompson on your list, and of course you'd have to SBR it.

I'm looking at a Vector Uzi myself. For no other reason than I want a small subgun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If (for whatever reason) you want a subgun, get a subgun.  That means Uzi, or SW5, or Thompson on your list, and of course you'd have to SBR it.

I'm looking at a Vector Uzi myself. For no other reason than I want a small subgun.

Spade, the Colt 634/635 is a factory subgun.  At 26" in length (with the stock), and almost eight pounds, the UZI is anything but svelte.  As for your other choices, the Thompson is even bigger and heavier, and the SW5 is a POS (yes, I've owned one).

The HK's are probably the best of the bunch.  They are reliable, ultra smooth, and due to there operating system, have very little recoil.  I chose the Colt 9mm because it mirrors the operating system on my 5.56 AR's, and commonality among weapons systems is important to me.  I also use only the Colt magazines because bolt hold-open on the last shot is something I desire...and yet another feature that the HK does not have.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Cx4 Storm or AR
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Cx4 Storm or AR

Absolut, I run monthly Tactical Rifle matches in your neck of the woods.  At the last match, two of the shooters were using Beretta Storm Cx4's.  Evidently, the magazine wells are a little on the large side, and both competitors had problems with magazines falling out of the guns.  The triggers are also of the "lawyer approved" variety, which is to say that they are heavy with a mile and a half of take up/creep.  This was just my experience in RO'ing those shooters and shooting the Storm after the match; your mileage may vary.

I never noticed that you were from SC.....Come play with us if you get the chance.  The match announcements are always posted in the Georgia/Carolina Hometown Forums.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spade, the Colt 634/635 is a factory subgun.  At 26" in length (with the stock), and almost eight pounds, the UZI is anything but svelte.  As for your other choices, the Thompson is even bigger and heavier, and the SW5 is a POS (yes, I've owned one).

I just kept the Thompson on the list because it is a subgun. And he did say he was gunning for when Todd at ORF started chunking out his own recievers.

Anyway, I know that the Colt is a factory subgun. Almost built one myself. But if you're going to get an AR15 patter subgun, why not just chop it and keep the 5.56mm? Like the HK53 you get compact, but with that added oomph without adding stuff to the system.

I just don't much see the point of the 634 style weapons unless you're stuck at a range that only allows pistol rounds. Other than that you might as well stick with the 5.56mm in a 10.5 barrel.

Anyway, when it's all said and done, an Uzi may be heavy, but you can get a carry rig for it.

If the guy wants a "subgun" I say Uzi.

If he just wants a short rifle, I say AR-15 in 5.56mm with a cut down barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Help me decide

I will most likely SBR whichever one I choose, choice should be based on price and ease of parts and availability.

I'm not big on rifle caliber weapons pretending to be overgrown pistols. So for me, the 9mm AR is out...If I am gonna lug an AR sized gun, I'll take the full size cartridge.

I think I'd consider these:

Mac 10 type
M1 Carbine
M3 Greasegun

The Uzi is a great choice. I qualified with it when I was in Germany. But it is REALLY HEAVY.

The Tommy gun is big and heavy

So there you have it. Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have a 9mm Colt AR and love it.

But this old style, KelTec Sub-9 with milled aluminum receiver is great, too.  Folds and goes places an AR can't.  Very accurate.  Very reliable.  Takes Glock mags.

And a hell of lot sexier than a Marlin

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I voted for the uzi.

but heck, if that's too much, you could find a mac-11 in the $200 price range.

not sure if they're all that accurate or not though, can someone else fill me in on this issue?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I took a friend shooting a week ago that has never shot rifles before. He really enjoyed putting all his shots through one hole using mutiple 25rd mags. Now he wants a Vector UZI.

Piss off a Liberal, Buy an UZI.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]
You completely left out the Beretta Storm - It is awesome (because my wife can actually HIT stuff with it!)  She sucks with her glock, but she is deadly with this little 9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
That storm is too PC.

That being said I'll probably buy one sometime down the line just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No offense, but I have never understood the all-too-common desire to lug around a rifle/carbine, and semi-neuter it by firing pistol cartridges through it.
If you're going to go to the trouble/expense of carrying a rifle/carbine, then why not chamber it for the most effective cartridge available?
Maybe someone has thought of a compelling reason to have their rifle/carbine chambered in a pistol round.  If so, let's hear it.
Note that the thread author did not mention whether or not the end result woluld be compatible with a carried pistol.  Even then, the concept is still questionable, IMHO.  

I take it you are not married, and if you are, she is a masculine one....

(marry a petite lady and you will see the value of getting her a pistol caliber in a shoulder fired weapon)
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Uzi talk has an excellent comparison between some popular 9mm, The Uzi Carbine, Sterling S/A and the MP-5 S/A. For the money, the MP-5 is not worth it I think, your looking at  around 1,300 and the preformance isnt much better then the Uzi which is more compact and "cool".

http://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/article_firepower1984april.htm
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
.30 CARBINE / RUGER BLACKHAWK .30 CARBINE
blade409
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No offense, but I have never understood the all-too-common desire to lug around a rifle/carbine, and semi-neuter it by firing pistol cartridges through it.
If you're going to go to the trouble/expense of carrying a rifle/carbine, then why not chamber it for the most effective cartridge available?
Maybe someone has thought of a compelling reason to have their rifle/carbine chambered in a pistol round.  If so, let's hear it.
Note that the thread author did not mention whether or not the end result woluld be compatible with a carried pistol.  Even then, the concept is still questionable, IMHO.  

I take it you are not married, and if you are, she is a masculine one....

(marry a petite lady and you will see the value of getting her a pistol caliber in a shoulder fired weapon)

Sorry, wrong on both counts.  While she is adequatly trained in using MBRs, she prefers ARs and mini-14s, which at least fire a Carbine cartridge, as opposed to a mere pistol caliber.

I see - my mistake - but I thought a carbine cartridge WAS a postil caliber?  .223 is considered rifle, not carbine.  But then again, who am I...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Becuase you get shitty/zero frag range when using a .223 out of such a short barrel (11.5, 10", etc); thereby  making the .223 a slightly glorified .22 WMR.  A bigger hole is better if you can not rely on fragmentation, and for CQB a 9mm or better yet a .45ACP SBR would be a more accurate and more lethal of a choice than an equal length .223.

Ever assume body armor?  9mm or 45acp from even a 10" barrel will not penetrate it....

Inside 50yds I believe the SBR 5.56 will still fragment nicely.......I KNOW it will still punch a vest.

Rather have a 22WMR hole in them, then a bruise on their chest an me in a box.

How about it?

Couch Cough sabots Cough or that's why you aim for knees, legs, arms, crotches, & heads.
If your facing an oponent that is heavily armored, .223 is going to do much either.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had a hankering for a .45 carbine for some time.

There was/is a guy at the FalFiles (Rhineland Arms) who was building adapter kits to convert upper and lower Fal receivers to .45. He had kits to use M3 Grease Gun single stack magazines and 20 and 30 round Thompson double stack mags.

I just never got around to building one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I am in a similar siatuation, but placed a 500 budget on myself.  Narrowed it down to the beretta storm and ruger pc9.  I'm going with storm due to its modularity.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Go with the Uzi.

I really don't know what the big deal with the wieght of the Uzi is. In fact, I think it is kind of a plus.

The recoil and muzzle climb isn't an issue because of it.

And to be honest, when shouldered, I don't even notice the weight.

Firing it one handed is another story.

Other than that, go with the AR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#24]
My vote is for either an Uzi or AR.

I have an IMI 9mm Uzi carbine from Action Arms Ltd of Phil, Penn, and it is simplicity at its best(ie the KISS - keep it simple stupid) with just a recoil spring holding the bolt closed(ie straight blow back), whereas the MP5 has the more complicated roller locking arrangement. I don't have a full-auto MP5, but I knew a guy that worked in a company that supplies machine guns to the motion picture industry, and he said they have to replace the rollers after x amount of rounds. I believe the AR is also one of the blow back designs also.

But the saving grace of the Uzi is the caliber conversion kits. I have an IMI 45ACP conversion kit and it is a cat's moew to shoot. Comes with bolt, mag, & barrel. Takes 1 minute to change. I understand there is also a 22LR kit available but I don't have one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I voted for the ORF MP5 clone.  But I will probably end up with a 9mm AR carbine.  More cost efficient for me at the moment.  *Sigh*, but I do want one of those ORFers.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Pistol caliber rifle type firearms just do not have enough punch for me, if I want a pistol type cartridge, I use a pistol!  For rifles, I would not go with anything smaller than a 7.62X39.  As for type of rifle, either an AK fitted with some type of receiver peep sight or a Ruger Mini-30 fitted with an M1 carbine peep sight and a m14 type front sight.  I own both and like them for shooting out to 200 yards.

The rifle I like best is an M1A/M14 bush type(18 inch barrel) built with a good quality receiver, Springfield or Armscorp I own both, and USGI parts in 7.62X51.  This is my opinion, if you disagree my response is, everyone to their own poison!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top