Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a G19 as my primary carry gun (or road gun as I refer to it). Only changes I've done is a new disconnector and a Tungsten recoilrod and comp recoil spring. Shoot nice tiny groups but I haven't managed to put as many rounds as I'd like to through it yet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
most people in my experience that are likely to shoot themselves or others with a glock because of it's passive safty system are also the same people that rarely ever safe they're weapons in the first place.

for instance while at the range that I attend regularly the guy in the lane next to me was changing magazines in his pistol. this was his first time firing this pistol and he was fairly new to the world of fire arms to begain with. he couldn't quite seem to get the magazine into the magazine well so he turned the pistol (he was right handed) to his right and tilted it so he could see the magazine well. at this point I am notice that the pistol is pointed at me, but he is to far away and wearing hearing protection so he couldn't hear me shouting at him to aim downrange. as he slides the magazine in he still has his finger on the trigger. he hits the slide release and bang. his bullet rips a hole through the wooden divider next to me just inchs from my left arm.  

the weapon in question was a 92fs and dispite having a possitive saftey it did no good that day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
here's my "Glock horror story":

I once 'thought' about buying one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My problem with Glocks is the name.  Whenever I tell people that I keep a Glock in the bedroom, they think I am talking about some wierd sex toy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whenever I tell people that I keep a Glock in the bedroom, they think I am talking about some wierd sex toy.

It's not?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:05:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a G19 (new-in-box) in 1990.  It would eject straight back into my forehead every few rounds.  I had to wear either a second pair of safety glasses across my forehead or a hat when shooting it.  I went through a few hundred rounds thinking it just needed to be broken in, but the ejection problem was still there.

Then an ejected casing made a nice moon-shape cut on my forehead.  I right then packed up my range bag, drove over to a gun shop and traded it in.

The one thing that bugs me about my G27 is it will not function with my reloads, which my H&K USP Compact eats up by the hundreds with no problems.

BTW, my H&K has about 3000+ rounds of factory and reloads, with not a single malfunction.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:23:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Glock just for 10mm.. I shot it the day I got it after oiling it and all that crap.. anyways I was shooting UMC 10mm.. it jams 6-7 times outta one box of 50.  I go back to my gunshop and buy a box of CCI Blazers and they jam even more than the UMC's.. my glock 29 is a piece of shit and would NEVER consider carrying it anywhere.. I'll stick closet to my HK's
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#8]

I've only had one problem when shooting a Glock, once I shot some reloads through my Glock 17 that I got from a buddy when I ran out of ammo. One of the rounds was missing a primer and didn't fire.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#9]
My G-Lock 23 has kaboomed so many times since I have owned it it's not funny.
One time it blew my right had clean off, another time it took out both of my eyes.
Last time it went kaboom it severed my juglar vein, hell, now THAT was a mess to clean up.

Hey, my G-Lock 23 did the same thing!
Same thing, the bastages at Glockmeister overcharged me for the parts and it was in my mailbox two days leter.

Quoted:
After firing thousands of reloads through my 23 the piece that holds the slide in place broke. Those money grubbing bastards at Glockmeister charged me $3 and had it in my mail box the next day.
What ever happened to customer service?

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Another hardcore 1911 man here. I'm one of those guys who used to say that real guns ought to be made of metal, not plastic. Got my first Glock earlier this year, a G19 that's been flawless. Will buy another Glock when $$$ allows, probably a G21.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have owned three Glocks, a 17, 19 & 26.  The 19 and 26 worked perfectly.  The 17 was one of the first ones that came into the country and was a really hot new item when I got it.  At that time the 9mm was not as common a round as it is today.  On the first range trip with the 17 it did not strike the primers hard enough to reliably fire the ammo.  It was Hornady commercial ammo that I had been using in a S&W 39 without problems.  Second time out it jammed constantly with another brand of commercial ammo.  I honestly feel that the US made ammo was under powered in those days and was the problem.  I never really warmed up to the 17 and ended up trading it towards a Sig P226.  A couple of years ago I attended a shooting school in which two of the guys had their Glocks break down.  Both had trigger return springs break.  They were quickly repaired for the owners.  Glocks are good guns, but they can and do break. Any gun can.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an early 17. Within the first 200 rounds, it would not let off when the trigger was squeezed, no matter how hard you pulled. I sent it back and they said something was "out of spec" and sent it back, said it was fixed. A thousand or so rounds later, exact same thing happened. Sent it back, they fixed it again, and replaced the slide, said it was cracked in the breach face. Dont know about that, but it was always kind of rough with machine marks. I wouldnt trust it after that and stopped using it for a carry gun. I never really trusted it after the first time it took a dump, so I really wasnt carrying it, mostly used it while canoeing and kayaking. The only thing I really like about the Glock is the finish, I tried to get them to do a couple of my 1911's and some others, but the said they dont do it here. Thats a shame, for a carry gun, its a great finish.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one of the early G30's and after a couple years (and a few hundred rounds) the plastic recoil spring guide rod and the spring decided to become uncaptive.

Glock sent me another one a few days later.  I like Glocks but no longer carry them because it's like carrying a cocked and unlocked 1911.  The NY trigger spring I had installed for a couple years made it downright painful to shoot, so I demoted it to a range gun until something can be done about the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Admittedly, I am partial to 1911's and mu HK USP but...

I do love my G27. No problems but the front sight did come off about a year ago.... I still haven't replaced it. Hmmm.... maybe i'll take it to my smith later this week.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#15]
O.K. Here's my Glock horror story. Brace yourselfs.

I DON'T YET OWN ONE.hock.gif

Did anyone else just have chills run up their back.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine is that I can't seem to shoot below a 297 in any of my 60 round qualification courses, and that is using that crappy steel cased Russian ammo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#17]
1)S&W copied it and called it the Sigma, I bought one used(wanted a Glock but the funds weren't there)

2)My G17 keeps running, refuses to break, and I can only recall it jamming once(Wolf+limp wrist)

3)Now I want one of each model but can't afford it, But I am gonna get a 26 this year, or a 27, or maybe a 30, those 36's are pretty sweet too...

4)Dang those hi-caps are 'spensive.

That's all my Glock problems that I can think of right now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had all kinds of problems with my Glocks!

(1) They won't jam!
(2) They fire reliably, every time!
(3) They are very accurate!
(4) They are very easy to clean and maintain!
(5) They are built tough!
(6) They are simple to operate!
(7) They have hi-cap mags!
(8) They look cool!

What a nightmare!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Model 22...after 500 rounds the extractor had chip in it, causing stovepipes, jams, etc.   Called Glock..received replacement part in three days.  Wish I had Model 23 instead of 22.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got one for ya.

I was in Florida, Meritt Island, visiting my uncle. We went to a local indoor range/gun shop. It was raining and I had took some of my H&K's that he wanted to shoot. While we were there my uncle bought a BRAND NEW Glock 17. We took it into the range and it shot flawless untill about the 25th round. Then for no apparent reason all his shots went left or right, I cant remember, by about 5 inches at 7 yards. I shot it and the same thing happen. It had been dead on before the 25th round. We went back into the shop and the gunsmith was going to adjust the sights. While we were standing there talking to him he was holding the pistol and wipped the slide with an oil rag. His eyes got real big! The old had disappeared in a small CRACK under the ejection port on the slide. He broke it down and was able to flex it enough with his bare hands to see that the slide was cracked clean thru! We were shooting standard factory ball ammo, nothing hot or special. The dealer called Glock. They told him to give my uncle ANY TWO Glocks in stock he wanted and load him up with Glock products, Tee Shirts ect. They told the dealer to lock the pistol in the safe and someone would be there before the day was over to pick it up. My uncle got a full size .45 and another 9mm, at NO extra charge. We went home with tee shirts and range bags and alot of stuff. The dealer called my uncle at about 6pm and told him that a Glock rep had flew down, picked up the bad pistol and dropped off FOUR replacement pistols! We wernt sore or disappointed. ANYONE making ANYTHING can have a fluke or a bad apple. Glock was more concerned then I have ever heard of any other gun maker about getting the bad pistol back to check it out and taking care of their dealer and the customer. I've since bough several Glocks and even bought a .45 model 30 for my dad this Christmas. They are the thoughest pistols made!

Having said that I must admit my EDC pistol is a full size H&K USP .45, I love that pistol!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Went shooting with a couple friends. They brought several expensive handguns. I brought my cheap plastic Glock 30. I hit almost everything I aimed at. They didn't even come close to that.

That's horror.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#22]
The only bad experience is paying for two G23 mags at 100 dollars a pop.
GG
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#23]
It seems that just about every Glock I have owned or borrowed has had a chipped extractor. The first one was a G19 first gen I borrowed to shoot a qualification in a Criminal Justice class I was taking. I was only 19 so I could not buy my own yet and I did not want to use the schools .38's. Well it jammed about every 4-5 rounds and I was not able to qualify with it because they would not let you clear your own jams. Ended up buying some .38 WAD CUTTERS and qualified with the school .38's with out reloaders and under the time limit. Still do not know how I did that.

The second one was a G21 I bought from one of the guys I work with. It came with 3 13 round pre ban mags. He told me he bought it new and had only used it when he went through the police academy and a little shooting before. He gave he a hell of a deal on the gun but told me that it had been acting up on him. Well based on my prior experience I checked the extractor and found that it was chipped. Called Glock and got a new one. I have shot this gun very little and have had no problems.

I do own one of the first imported Glock 17's. The only problem I have had with this one is that the old style adjustable rear sight broke off. A simple fix.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#24]
My only problem with Glocks is that Im not old enough to buy one yet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#25]
The HORROR is that I only have ONE !!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I do not consider ANY gun without an active safety mechanism OFF THE TRIGGER to be "SAFE".  PERIOD.

What about a revolver?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not consider ANY gun without an active safety mechanism OFF THE TRIGGER to be "SAFE".  PERIOD.

What about a revolver?

Half Cock.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#28]
 I've never had any problems with any of my Glocks. (I've sold one but still have 2) I've had 9mm's & .45s.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I must admit to being a 1911 type guy, I find the Glock to be most uncomfortable and unnatural to handle, and of all the pistols I've used they are the most awkward for me. I must also admit that I have two of them a G-19 and a G-20, I get good accuracy and speed with them and more important they are both 100% failure free I only wish I could say the same for my 1911.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whenever I tell people that I keep a Glock in the bedroom, they think I am talking about some wierd sex toy.

It's not?

It isn't.  Unfortunately, I didn't figure that out until it was too late.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The kB! linked above appears to have been caused by bullet set-back, which can raise pressures dramatically.

Here's the things that most people overlook:

- All gun brands have had kB!s.
- Virtually all kB!s are due to ammo problems.
- There are far more Glocks in daily use than any other brand of gun.  Naturally, there will be more Glock kB!s, but I'd be surprised if the RATE of kB!s to rounds fired per year isn't lower for Glocks than for other types of pistols.
- Most of the kB! problems have been with the .40S&W round.  This round has very high pressures, is very sensitive to bullet set-back, and has a much smaller margin of error than other common pistol rounds.  In addition, there were known bad lots of brass in the earliest runs of Federal .40S&W ammo, which were the source of the early kB! stories

Having said all that, I own Glocks in 9mm, 10mm, and .45ACP, and I would always choose one of them as my first choice for a defensive pistol.  And I'm not alone; the Glock is the most-carried CCW pistol brand by far, over 2:1 over the 2nd place gun (the 1911-pattern .45).

-Troy

I've had a kB.  
I bought a used G22 that was sold as a police trade in.  Using early Federal ammo, I felt something odd when I was firing the gun.  The magazine was on the ground, and what was left of the case was in the gun.  Both Glock and Federal treated me quite well.  I suffered only in the loss of use while Glock had my gun.  I currently have a G22C and a G27.  I'm using current generation Federal ammo.
I shot 1911's for 25 years, but now have only Glocks.

Mike
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top