Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M4 is the softest shooting shotgun. If you think it recoils to much you've never shot one.
View Quote
^^^ This ^^^
Shoot my M4 and my 1301 Tactical back to back and you'll see exactly how soft shooting the M4 is.
Both have Mesa Tactical stocks on them and the difference in recoil is substantial.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

C'mon...
View Quote
Using an 18" barreled 7 shot heavy ass combat shotgun for 3 gun is like shooting USPSA Production class with a Shield. Sure you can do it but why would you?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I just came here to let the op know my Benelli M4 is freaking awesome
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Using an 18" barreled 7 shot heavy ass combat shotgun for 3 gun is like shooting USPSA Production class with a Shield. Sure you can do it but why would you?
View Quote
Because some people like to shoot the guns they actually carry/use?
I shoot USPSA Limited with a stock 15 round VP9 from AIWB concealed.
I use that same VP9 along with a Steyr AUG and a Benelli M4 in 3-gun.
I'm quite competitive with those guns as well (almost always in the top 10% of local/regional matches).
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are cheaper and better guns out there.
View Quote
Yup, and my 870 sits in the corner right by my desk.  I probably haven't pulled the trigger on it in 5 years.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cheaper... yes.
Better for what? Nothing beats a M4 for high volume full power buckshot/slug durability and reliability (the Battlefield Vegas guys can attest to that).
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love mine. Has a Scalar Works mount with a T1 micro, titanium 7 round tube, and an IWC light mount.

One hell of a hog gun out of my tripod stand.
View Quote
Ditto here except that I went with the AVA Tactical mount to get the built in sling QD. Scalar Works Sync Micro should be here tomorrow and then she's done unless of course I get super froggy and decide to SBS it with the 14" barrel option. These are excellent pig patrol guns but I am not surprised that they aren't popular with the AR masses.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Didn't say they were better for military purposes. The thing is tough. But for civilian purposes the M4 has no advantages because the others are more than durable enough for civilian purposes.
View Quote
I'll give you that, but that goes for the majority of these guns we all deem necessary.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I love mine, don't shoot it much but it is a great iconic piece.
It is a perfect bedside gun. I have other shotguns for upland hunting (citori 725) duck and goose hunting (sbe2) and I have two police 870's for bear guns in AK.
Shotguns have their place and I don't have any interest in ever selling mine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cheaper... yes.
Better for what? Nothing beats a M4 for high volume full power buckshot/slug durability and reliability (the Battlefield Vegas guys can attest to that).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheaper... yes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheaper... yes.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/474035_High-round-count-shotguns-to-include-Mossberg--Remington--Benelli-and-Chinese-clones.html
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because some people like to shoot the guns they actually carry/use?
I shoot USPSA Limited with a stock 15 round VP9 from AIWB concealed.
I'm quite competitive with those guns as well (almost always in the top 10% of local/regional matches).
View Quote
Good for you if thats what you want to do. Doesn't change the fact that an M4 is far from optimal for a 3 gun shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I enjoy shooting competition and three gun is a favorite of mine but admittedly I shoot against myself with my work guns.

I understand guys that shoot guns built strictly for competition but there is a rewarding feeling to beating guys running a Glock, SBR and my Benelli M4
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, the only reason I hang on to mine is for USMC nostalgia. It's a lot like my 870: covered in a thick layer of dust.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...I exclusively use a P30L with a Steyr AUG and a Benelli M4 in my 3-gun. (we are 3-gun soul mates) I shoot with what I would actually use if it really counted...not interested in saving half a second on my time if I have to use a 6 foot long shotgun to do it
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good for you if thats what you want to do. Doesn't change the fact that an M4 is far from optimal for a 3 gun shotgun.
View Quote
That depends on who designs the stages.
Every once in a while I'll design a shotgun stage with a fairly tight (say 3' wide) hallway with multiple shoot thru barrels inset into the walls at various heights and intervals then end it with a variation on the "Cooper tunnel" where you have to go prone in a tight space.
The guys with 26"+ barrels and 14+ round extended tubes have a hell of a time getting into and out of all the tight spaces quickly and watching them have to load singles or doubles because they haven't practiced quads while prone or halfway into a shoot barrel is also amusing to me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Seriously what's the point of a $2k shotgun when a AR15 is clearly the better weapon?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's because the M4 is seriously overhyped.
View Quote
Agree. While M4s aren't Mossberg-level junk, they're waaay overrated.

I don't care how many 'John Wick' fantasy films you see them in.     That only makes them attractive eye-candy, not a hard-use weapon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That depends on who designs the stages.
Every once in a while I'll design a shotgun stage with a fairly tight (say 3' wide) hallway with multiple shoot thru barrels inset into the walls at various heights and intervals then end it with a variation on the "Cooper tunnel" where you have to go prone in a tight space.
The guys with 26"+ barrels and 14+ round extended tubes have a hell of a time getting into and out of all the tight spaces quickly and watching them have to load singles or doubles because they haven't practiced quads while prone or halfway into a shoot barrel is also amusing to me.
View Quote
If I was designing stages I'd put steel at 125 yards.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't care how many 'John Wick' fantasy films you see them in.     That only makes them attractive eye-candy, not a hard-use weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's because the M4 is seriously overhyped.

Yeah, Fallujah was skate. My 1014 didn't even work.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, you can't even make comments like these up, lol. It's the most hard use shotgun in existence, I do hope that your comment had an undertone of sarcasm.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#23]
My M4 worked but I was present for a discussion once between a Marine LTC of good reputation and a prominent tactical shotgun gunsmith centered on what could be done to make his M4s work, finally.

But that was 13 years ago now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow, you can't even make comments like these up, lol. It's the most hard use shotgun in existence, I do hope that your comment had an undertone of sarcasm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... And possibly a dash of tongue-in-cheek smarminess.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
{snip}
People made a bunch of pre-election panic buys on credit and the bills have come due.
View Quote
THIS

A LOT.

The M4 is by far my favorite firearm.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I look forward to a deal on an M-4
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I still got my M1 Super 90
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cool guy guns that don't really get used would be my guess.  Seriously what's the point of a $2k shotgun when a AR15 is clearly the better weapon?
View Quote
I agree. My M1S90 ( or any shotgun) is a 3gun range weapon to me. I would never choose it when an AR or FAL/SCAR H is available.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL...I exclusively use a P30L with a Steyr AUG and a Benelli M4 in my 3-gun. (we are 3-gun soul mates) I shoot with what I would actually use if it really counted...not interested in saving half a second on my time if I have to use a 6 foot long shotgun to do it
View Quote
Know exactly what you mean.  I have been shooting 3-gun for 17 years in six different states that I have lived in.  All of the clubs that I have shot with have had their fair share of competitors with race guns, more power to them.  I choose to compete using the foundation that 3-gun started on, namely "what would you use durning a SHTF situation"?  I don't know many people that would grab a 12 ga with a mag tube that sticks out 1 foot past the muzzle.  I choose to shoot what I would fight with, but that is just me.  Yes I do have race guns but I use my AUG, or XCR, or a number of SBR'd AR's more.  I just started using an SRM 1216 semi-auto 12 ga that holds 16 rounds.  It's nothing like a mag fed Saiga (no long mag hanging down. Instead a rotary mag that lays horizontally) We are limited to 9 rounds before the buzzer goes off but competitors can top off after they start so I just go through the 9 rounds, drop the mag, slap a fresh 16 round mag/tube in and keep on rocking.

Just my .02  Oh, and by the way.................love my M4 shotty as well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks everyone, this thread has exceeded my expectations great information.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#32]
VEPR-12 is badass (assuming you get one with good gas port alignment). I got one of the tack welded folders a few months ago.
I have an old M1 Entry that's awesome too. I plan to SBS the VEPR and make it fold. I've never seen a QC issue on a Benelli.

I think the M4 is the best tube-fed combat shotgun and the VEPR is the best mag-fed combat shotgun. It's up to you which style you like. I like how the VEPR can be short, but keep big mag capacity with fast reloads. I'm not much of a shotgun guy though. I'd rather have a carbine or SMG.

Botach recently sold out of some LE traded M4 Entry (14") shotguns with Surefire rails for $1200 each. That's the best deal anyone's heard of.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I had one. Not a fan of the PG stocks on shotgun. Sold it. My M1 Super 90s and FN SLP fit the bill.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had one. Not a fan of the PG stocks on shotgun. Sold it. My M1 Super 90s and FN SLP fit the bill.
View Quote
They make a field stock for people who like straight stocks better.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#35]
know... but I have my M1 and SLP set up exactly how I like it. I grew up bird hunting. PG stocks never worked for me on shotguns. The M4 is a fantastic shotgun. I got it for a steal and sold it for profit. 
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#36]
More of a steal than $1,200? 
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I have 5 M4: factory SBS, M4 field stock, regular black M4, cerakote brown, NP3. Also have an M1S90, lots of Beretta O/Us, SxSs, etc.

At the end of the world, if I had to pick one to stay alive, it would be the M4 field stock without a doubt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:04:56 AM EDT
[#38]
biggest problem owning an M4, you can no longer day dream about buying another tactical shotgun because what would be the freaking point...  Its a Ferrari with Toyota reliability, not the new Toyotas, like 1990s Toyota.

I bought an entry model so I would have to spend a bunch of cash dealing with 922 issues restoring the mag tube.  However, those recent Botach deals make me feel sad, what is the point of spending over $2k with a collapsible stock if they let anyone buy one for $1200...
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#39]
shotgun certainly still have a role to play. Not every response needs an AR or suppressed super tactical militant roll out. When I leave the suburbs I'll be heading to rural PA, 25 acres with some woods and other houses around. A shotgun with buck shot could handle anything from the proverbial fox in the hen house to a small black bear, to a meth head. All with less worry about stray rounds going over the hills into the neighbors house. An easy swap to a different round could work for snakes, ground hogs, etc.

Will I have an AR handy? Sure. But would I feel undergunned with a decent semi auto shotgun instead? nope.

I've wanted a benelli like this for a while. I had a nova and super nova, but run a winchester SX2 in 3 gun and sporting clay games. I have thousands of rounds through it, but it's usually cleaned and put away lube. If I lived a harder life, I would need a better version of it, and that would be the M4.

Semi autos take out a lot of the recoil, which allows you to put rounds on target fast. sure we all have dreams of defending our family from a horde or cartel with well aimed AR fire, but realistically I'm like to see one jackass hop my fence. 12 gauge does just fine. If I can't hit it (which is farther than you think, I've shot buck to 80 or so yards and slugs to almost 200) it's probably not my problem.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I put on the collapsible stock and a +1 or +2 tube.  I just love it.  I have a Mossberg shockwave.  I'd like to add an 870 to the mix someday.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Sold my M4 years ago. To ME, too heavy and limited as it was. Got a M2 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#42]
The Benelli M4 is fine for 3 gun.
It has the same exact magazine capacity as the M2: whatever size extension you want to buy.

I find the pistol grip vs straight stock to be a preference issue, and either version is available.
I like the C-stock, it fits me well in the extended position and collapses to fit in my range bag.
Also, as an escapee from NY, the collapsing stock checks the "evil features" list pretty well.

Sights vs bead vs fiber is a preference, and you can change up what's on it if you don't like it.

Barrel length doesn't seem to matter a whole lot, I just change the choke to adjust.  I don't believe there's a huge muzzle velocity difference between 18" and 22" or 24" anyway

You can dual/quad load the thing, just like an M2, and I've seen guys grind on and adjust the loading port just like any other shotgun.
The M4 port/lifter is positioned a little different than an M2, it's less likely to bite you; the welded lifter mod isn't as important.

I've found mine to be more reliable than any M2 my friends have.
(Keep it wet with a light grease, like TW-25B, ignore anyone that tells you to run it dry)

The only downside is that it's heavier, but that contributes to the softer recoil.
(do more pushups)

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Dont know about you guy, but I spent too much money on my m4 (equiped with RMR and salvo) to let it sit in the safe and not be put to use. I take mine out every year bird hunting and squirrel hunting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Dont know about you guy, but I spent too much money on my m4 (equiped with RMR and salvo) to let it sit in the safe and not be put to use. I take mine out every year bird hunting and squirrel hunting.
View Quote
Like a boss
I will too when I get one
Till then

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Lot of lol's in this thread.

I've sold and work on a lot of M4's. We heavily customize them for the end user depending on what their purpose is for the weapon. Like most, I reach for an AR15 when things go bump in the night. As far as shotguns go, they can be tuned to be one of the softest recoiling platforms out there with hot loads. You can shave a bunch of weight off of them with select mods.

We had a huge surge around election time where everyone was feeling bad and assuming the cunt was going to win. Now, everyone's unloading all their purchases now that the credit card bill is due 75 cents on the dollar.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As far as shotguns go, they can be tuned to be one of the softest recoiling platforms out there with hot loads. You can shave a bunch of weight off of them with select mods.
View Quote
Please, elaborate. 
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Please, elaborate. 
View Quote
Weight reduction:
Carriercomp magazine tubes will shave 5.5 ounces off the front end. Scalarworks top rails will trim a few ounces. Polymer trigger guards will shave a few ounces. Don't hang a bunch of aftermarket crap on it. The oem handguards are the best handguards.

Recoil reduction
A custom fit Limbsaver pad will reduce perceived recoil by approximately 40%. You can dump a mag tube of buckshot or slugs in under a second while being on target if you had to. Think bear medicine or tweaker zombie clown.

Further reduction in perceived recoil can be gained from the NP3+ plating process of key components. It takes out a lot of the mechanical harsh movements of components. Even racking the bolt, you can feel the difference. Instead of the bolt hitting the hammer and causing an impediment to overcome with force, the impediment is smoothed over.

Learning to shoot an auto loader shotgun
The Rob Haught method of pushing forward with your support arm while pulling in with your trigger hand will enhance your control over each shot. Keep it right in the shoulder pocket. Don't let it move around or out of the pocket. If your sling is getting in the way of getting your stock seated in the pocket of your shoulder, consider attaching it to the outside mount on the ejection port side (for right handers). This will help control the roll of the shotgun when slung too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow, 5.5oz. good to know.

I used the push/pull method for pumps as well
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Only because 3-gun was mentioned, I've seen a few shooters run them and they do fine with them.  However, the biggest reason you'll see most run the M2 is

1) it's easier to customize since there are more competition-oriented parts for it
2) a vent rib barrel is faster to shoot than ghost ring sights
3) it's lighter

Disclaimer: I run a TTI Benelli M2 but there are several great choices for the game including the Beretta 1301 Competition
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Weight reduction:
Carriercomp magazine tubes will shave 5.5 ounces off the front end. * * *
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please, elaborate. 
Weight reduction:
Carriercomp magazine tubes will shave 5.5 ounces off the front end. * * *
First, please show me where John Wick (2) worries about toting a measly extra "5.5 ounces" in a self-defense situation.

Second, my Steven 311R dbl is significantly lighter than any M-4   -  including the non-tricked-out variants  -  points better, ...  and the second blast of buckshot out the tube will be just as quick as any semi.  

After that, I'll default to grabbing my AR/SBR or .45 pistol.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top