Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately I have not fired the H&K.  I have a Series 70 Colt Combat Commander that I love.  I replaced the trigger only because I liked the looks of the skeletonized one.  Only problem I ever had was underpowered reloads causing smokestacks.  I purchased a Glock 30 a couple of years ago, and although I like it a lot, I would probably stick with the Colt.  If anything, parts are more abundant with 1911 models than H&K (or Glock).  You can magazines from anywhere, and if you want, and customize to your liking.
Not related, but I also have the Marlin 45 Camp Carbine.  What a fun rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
....the Tactical, which comes with a much-improved factory match trigger (which SHOULD be in all USPs, but I digress).  
-Troy

Troy is that a single action trigger, double action or a striker-fired DAO?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I know its not on the list but the Sig 220.

hands down.

Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Troy is that a single action trigger, double action or a striker-fired DAO?

SA/DA
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Did somebody say 1911's can't have high capacity magazines and light rails?

www.sviguns.com/catalog2001

Go to the catalog and look at "Lighted Guns"

Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Next time I need to jump out of an airplane at 30,000 feet, land in the ocean and swim two miles to shore, slog through 10 miles of swamp in mud up to my neck, just to get to the place where I take out my pistol, I will definitely take the H&K.

U.S.G.I. M1911/M1911A1. Been there, done that for 80+ years. Set the standard.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I know this is about the HK vs. 1911 but somebody talked about the sig..so..
Sig P220 vs. 1911

I own both. The Sig is without a doubt more reliable. However, the 1911 can have a very fine trigger put on it, and if tuned can outshoot the Sig (It's a Single Action thing..)
Both are very fine pistols.

The HK is also a very fine pistol.

1911's: I would avoid Colt and get a Springfield Armory or possibly a Kimber. But if you can afford the extra money..then a Les Baer or Wilson is the way to go when it comes to a Semi-Custom 1911.

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Next time I need to jump out of an airplane at 30,000 feet, land in the ocean and swim two miles to shore, slog through 10 miles of swamp in mud up to my neck, just to get to the place where I take out my pistol, I will definitely take the H&K.

Hell, if I have to do that much I will simply carry what Uncle Sam lets me carry!  Then again, I'm almost too old for that crap anyway (I'm 32).  For me, I like a Glock 21 for a combat/slef defense gun and a 1911 Style for punching paper or knocking down steel plates.  If you like the H&K better than Glock, then substitute it as the technology is much the same.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I wanted to post my update to this thread. I made my decision yesterday and went with a Kimber Custom Eclipse II. The H&K just did not fit my hand comfortably enough to plunk down $1k. This Kimber fit like a glove and I could not put it down. I have to wait for my permit to be processed now though. I feel good about my purchase and even had 2 spare CMC 8 cap mags thrown in to seal the deal. Yet again, thanks for everyones contribution to the thread all this info helped me along the purchase decision.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I've owned a USP Tactical and have recommended it several times on this board. Personally, I've tried many .45's, having worked at a range, and the Tactical is tops, IMO. It's state-of-the-art engineering, quality fit & finish, and great performance leave nothing to chance. I have yet to experience a malfunction, FTF/FTE, etc. after putting a few thousand rounds through it.

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Kimber Custom Classic.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]
ive got a para p13 that ive put at least 15,000 rounds through, without any malfunctions once i changed the mag springs, and tuned the thing. (using the factory parts, by the way, except for full length guide rod and trigger) ive got a commander gcnm with 3,000 rounds through it, bone stock. i also have an officers enhanced, no problems there either. i like colts and have never had a problem with them. the guys out there rippin on the 1911's sound just like the guys who rip on ak owners. you cant really go wrong with an ak or a 1911. theyve both proven themselves around the world pretty well. i like polymer guns too. i think stippling? kicks ass on checkering all day but i have yet to see mass produced 1911 with that treatment. in shtf scenario, youre 100x more likely to find parts for a 1911 than the hk. i just cant believe people get so riled up about this stuff when 3 months ago our nation was attacked. does it really bother you guys that much?
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#13]
If your looking for a comfortable gun to shoot that is reliable I wolud look at the new  limited  edition only 200 made ,EAA witness with target/ported barrel.Has 10 round clips and goes for $400-475 depending on dealer.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#14]
This is really a matter of personal preference.  I  prefer the better ergonomics of the colt, for my hand.  I had the worst shooting experience of my life with a Jam o matic USP.  I carry a 1991A1 for a duty gun and have had neither accuracy nor reliability problems in the last 4 years.  I kinda tend to be a purist on pistols and a 1911 really does need the little horsey on the grip.  Just makes it work better.  My thinking is that when I do enter civilian life I won't have mags to turn in, and If I want a custom job I already have a great base for it.  It shot great out of the box so for combat accuracy the best I would really hope for over the long haul was factory equal.  

Just my NSHO.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#15]
You did good Taelil. Both these weapons are excellent and will provide for years of enjoyment. I'm like you, the USPs just don't fit my hand like the 1911s. My Colt 70s Series and Kimber Pro CDP have functioned exceptionally as long as I use good ammo, good mags, and clean them, the same for any weapon. I'd like to get a USP just to have one, but the high HK pricetag means they are at the bottom of the list. There are other guns that perform just as well or better for less. LAter.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Colt Delta Elite (10mm) converted to .45 ACP. Blued receiver and correct old Army Colt parkerized 1911 slide...other goodies added. Owned all the others...this one goes up in value cost me $365 to customize, and if it don't work you can use it as a club.....Gib (Slabside 6) it always works.. ;{>
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]

As if I could afford it.
Larry Vicker's work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I've shot a HK Tactical. Sweet gun.

I've fired a SA Tactical Response Pistol. Sweet gun.

The only negitave on the HK was ergonomics. Seemed like the slide release was hard to get to. It does get a plus for hi-cap mags. Expensive hi-cap mags!

Buy both!

Av.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW I got a sig 220 .45. With a 8 shot clip it's got plenty of firepower. Never FTF.I love it.  The double stack .45s are way to thick for my comfort. Feel like a brick in my hand.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]
What is the "tactical" model of HK are you all speaking about?  The one with the threaded barrel and adjustable rear sites?

HK=The BEST (in my opinion)....I WILL have another HK.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
my vote KIMBER CDP

BTW you made a good choice.
IMHO HK stuff is nice but not worth their price tags
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Go with the USP tactical. Even the USP 45-F is better than a Colt 1911.

Have "thousands" of rounds through both a HK 45 USP-Tact and USP-C with no problems. I mean nothing has had to be fixed and there are no FTF or jams on the range.

The only thing I replaced was the target sights with factory night sights.

Go with the HK You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What is the "tactical" model of HK are you all speaking about?  The one with the threaded barrel and adjustable rear sites?

That would be the one. But it also has some improvements to the inside of the gun too. Somebody else could list them here, but it is a nice weapon!

Very little recoil, and very accurate.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Gov.1911A1 "43, goes bang every time from that day to this (Ithaca w/ colt lower). Springfield Armory loaded compact for carry...Iam content/pleased and without complaints
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Wilson Combat's new KZ-45 has promise. Tough finish, light weight, external extractor, 10 round magazine and the ergonomics of the 1911. If I were to spend a thousand dollars on a pistol this one would be it.

Also, according to The World's Great Small Arms by Craig Philip the Sig P226 was the leader in military trials, but the Beretta was chosen due to its lower cost.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#26]
H+K Expert. Great trigger
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Sig P220.

Rich
NRA, GOA, LEAA, CCRN
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#28]
This is the one I would choose for just going to the range. No tools needed for stripping. It goes bang every time and it don't cost much.

Great weapon. Great manufacturer...I know, I know, the mag capacity. Screw it. Rugers work for fricking ever!

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#29]
If I were to get a .45 I think I'd want an SBR with a 25 or 30 round mag, 230 grain JHP, lots longer range than a pistol.  On my hip I'd have a Glock 21, grip reduction, stainless match barrel, progressive recoil spings, tritium sights and 3 hi-cap mags.

But that's 2 .45's isn't it...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top