Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would say in TX, that probably isn't a great idea. Any electronics in extreme heat will lower it's life expectancy. If you have a spare closet, or utility room, that's probably a decent spot.

Otherwise, something like this probably would be a decent step, bolt it to some studs and it would slow some one down enough while authorities are on the way from being notified by your security system. You have one of those too, right?
View Quote
Yes.  I was really trying to avoid buying additional cable, running the line down the wall and fishing it out.  It seems I will have to run at least one line anyways so that I can attach it to the router.  Unless I can get a wireless router and attach it to that.  if that works maybe I can figure something else out.  I hate dealing with wires and stuff. 
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes.  I was really trying to avoid buying additional cable, running the line down the wall and fishing it out.  It seems I will have to run at least one line anyways so that I can attach it to the router.  Unless I can get a wireless router and attach it to that.  if that works maybe I can figure something else out.  I hate dealing with wires and stuff. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say in TX, that probably isn't a great idea. Any electronics in extreme heat will lower it's life expectancy. If you have a spare closet, or utility room, that's probably a decent spot.

Otherwise, something like this probably would be a decent step, bolt it to some studs and it would slow some one down enough while authorities are on the way from being notified by your security system. You have one of those too, right?

My dad used this to get Internet to his system.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my system up and running last night.  I was able to get two of the cameras installed and wired through the attic, but need to install the other two.  One of the two that I did not install was defective and will not come on.  I contacted amazon about an exchange for a non-defective camera and they gave me $75 discount (cost to order a new camera on amazon of the same model that was defective), so I ordered another.  I haven't figured out how to email portions of video that is captured or do any video editing yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If anyone who ordered this kit and decided they don't want it let me know!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine came in today, seems pretty stout. Will get it powered up this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
My system was delivered today. I played with it for 30min or so and had a camera temporarily setup and viewable on the TV. Another half hour and cam2 was working and both viewable on my iPhone with the Reolink app. In the app all I did was enter the password I set up on the system and bam, live video on my phone. Amazing for a non-tech Apple guy.

One issue I did find is entering an email address to email videos, there is no dot .  available on the keyboard that I can see. I tried all the available buttons and none would give me a dot . for .com. Somehow I got the letters capitalized too. Will play with it more tomorrow but so far video quality and ease of setup is great. Now to decide where to mount the cameras permanently and secure the NVR.

Another thing I noticed is the fan on the NVR is pretty loud. If it was in my bedroom or other quiet place it would bother me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the period is next to the 0.

As for the email set up. I couldnt get it to work with any email other than google as the host "sender" email.  the instruction on the web site were pretty easy to follow after i made a burner email. This email became the host or sending email. this sends it to my normal mail on my phone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#8]
My mouse quit working today. I hooked another mouse up to the the machine and it doesn't work either. My video resolution seems really low quality too. I'm set on 1440. What should it be set on? Email isn't working either. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine tested. All six cameras worked. Was easy setup and able to stream on my phone. Will do a full install in a week. Will give a better review then.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
damn, mised the sale!   FML
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
So far I am impressed with how plug & play this system is, and I did not buy the package deal. I bought one of their stand alone NVR's and an assortment of reolink cameras. I did a trial run hooking everything up on my living room floor and it recognized and displayed all cameras with zero configuration. I did have to change the NVR screen resolution setting in order for the HDMI output to work on my monitor. VGA worked as configured out of the box.

The winter weather here is holding up most of my camera installations. I have done all of my indoor wiring and it looks like I'll be waiting at least a few days for some warmer weather. My only complaint so far is that the mounting screws that come with the cameras are crap, but that's an easy issue to correct.

IP/ethernet cameras are a pleasure to work with compared to the analog BNC stuff I am replacing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I got mine adjusted and the resolution looks much better on playback on the TV compared to the playback on the app. The app just doesn't show the resolution. I still can't get the fourth camera working, so I guess I'll call them tomorrow for replacement. I did have to set up a burner gmail account to send me notifications of motion sensors. 
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got mine adjusted and the resolution looks much better on playback on the TV compared to the playback on the app. The app just doesn't show the resolution. I still can't get the fourth camera working, so I guess I'll call them tomorrow for replacement. I did have to set up a burner gmail account to send me notifications of motion sensors. 
View Quote

Why. I used my same email to send the email to my self.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because I couldn't get it to send with my yahoo or other emails. They kept failing the test but gmail worked as a sending email.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Because I couldn't get it to send with my yahoo or other emails. They kept failing the test but gmail worked as a sending email.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you need help trying to set it up. Just let me know. Probably a Port setting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Was able to get mine powered up today, pretty impressive, have all 4 cameras up and running, two installed in the shop, need to run the wiring tomorrow, two outside ones will get in tomorrow.

Still need to get it connected to the internet, my router is in the house, what are my options?

1. Run Cat5e cable to the router
2. Pick up one of the setups mentioned above that uses house wiring to jump signal there
3. ?????
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You could run a dedicated wireless-N bridge from the shop to the house.

But hard-wired is always better.
View Quote

Thanks, I have 500 foot of Cat5E and there is already underground conduit from the house to the shop, just wanted to avoid doing it if possible and reliable.

Any recommendations on the wireless n bridge if I decide to go that route?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Still need to get it connected to the internet, my router is in the house, what are my options?

1. Run Cat5e cable to the router
2. Pick up one of the setups mentioned above that uses house wiring to jump signal there
3. ?????
View Quote

Something I noticed yesterday...

I had mine connected to my router using an existing cat5e line I installed years ago. For this installation I have been using cat6 for everything. Yesterday I had to run a few cat6 lines in that direction so I figured I'd add some extras while I was at it. When I was finished I had some that ended up right next to the router so I figured why not try it.

I switched the cables and then checked the Reolink app on my phone. It was noticably quicker and more responsive. There was a bit of lag before that seems to have disappeared. I'll keep the cat5e for my remote mouse line, but honestly, if you have to run new cable, I think it's worth it to run 6.

Of course, someone smarter than me might come along and tell me it's only my imagination. But I swear it's quicker now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I seem to have gotten all the bugs worked out with mine. I'm happy so far. Only complaint is that the motion sensors are constantly sending me email notifications, even though sensativity is set on 30. 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Something I noticed yesterday...

I had mine connected to my router using an existing cat5e line I installed years ago. For this installation I have been using cat6 for everything. Yesterday I had to run a few cat6 lines in that direction so I figured I'd add some extras while I was at it. When I was finished I had some that ended up right next to the router so I figured why not try it.

I switched the cables and then checked the Reolink app on my phone. It was noticably quicker and more responsive. There was a bit of lag before that seems to have disappeared. I'll keep the cat5e for my remote mouse line, but honestly, if you have to run new cable, I think it's worth it to run 6.

Of course, someone smarter than me might come along and tell me it's only my imagination. But I swear it's quicker now.
View Quote

If I decide to go with Cat6e, should I be getting shielded or un-shielded?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If I decide to go with Cat6e, should I be getting shielded or un-shielded?
View Quote

I'm using unshielded copper Cat6 with zero issues so far.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Had a TP-Link wireless N bridge laying around, hooked that up as a client and have the app powered up and streaming on both our phones.

I'm really impressed with the resolution of these cameras.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Had a TP-Link wireless N bridge laying around, hooked that up as a client and have the app powered up and streaming on both our phones.

I'm really impressed with the resolution of these cameras.
View Quote

I know, I can't wait to put ours in. Will probably be another week or two before I can get around to it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking at the reolink system and the app available for remote viewing. Am I the only one concerned with the number and type of permissions the app asks for?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Looking into THIS or This system, anybody have any experience with it or the company?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 8 Reolink cams currently running on a custom PC with Blueiris and I love them. Been 1 year so far.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks, that is what i was leaning towards to (2K). Did the camera specs look good to you?( I know nothing of f stops/aperture and the like)
thank you for your time again
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Question for those of you who own the Reolink 8 CH POE NVR.

I've been reading that you can also connect Reolink wireless cameras to the system.

What I'm wondering is if the NVR limits you to 8 cameras, no matter their particular configuration (i.e. software limitation), or if you can populate all 8 PoE ports, and then also add wireless camera(s) to the system?

I get that you would think it's 8 cameras, no matter how connected ( 8 channels, duh), but if Reolink is loading the same OS across all the NVR's (8, 16, 32, etc.) one would think the extra channel capacity would exist somewhere in the OS. (possibly waiting to be unlocked/enabled?)

ETA: Found my answer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump! Any other awesome deals available?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone done a comparison between the Reolink and Hikvision cams?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Gmail locked your account?  Tell me more.
View Quote

You caught me.    I edited after finding your post(that I can't find now) mentioning the need for the actual IP addy rather than SMTP.gmail.com.  

To my issue, after I spent the better part of an evening to get the email alerts to work from the cam, not BlueIris.  I started to get motion alerts emailed to Gmail every few to 15 minutes throughout the night.  

By morning, when I tried to log onto Gmail, I get a popup stating Gmail was locked for 24 hours due to "strange behavior"(my words).  I pulled the plug on the Gmail server settings in the cams and waited.  

When it was unlocked I found about 300 email alerts.  I'm only using 15% of my gmail space so I figured the sudden rapid emails must of red flagged me.

I had other issues with setting up the alerts that were baffling me but I don't want to derail this thread much more.  I can IM if you are interested.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you upgrade to G-suite (the business account), you can have up to 10,000 emails per day.

But before I did that, I'd probably tweak your motion-detection settings... or use hard-wired sensors.  
View Quote

It was Day 1 with the Hiks.  I have a timer controlled light indoors triggering an ACTI motion alert.  That sends me 1 text and email per day to let me know it's up and running.  I'd like to send the outdoor Hikcam video to an offsite FTP server.  Still learning that as well.  So far the Hiks are not playing with Blueiris for alerts.  If I can rule out operator error I'm thinking of trying the Reolink.

I have a mote(irrigation ditch) on the street side of the house so cars and humans are limited to sit on the road or come into my driveway where I plan to have sensors and another cam to catch the vehicle plates.  

I'll check out G-suite, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#41]
In regards to the reolink system. Are the cameras only powered by the cat6 cable? The cameras derive their power from the nvr right?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All PoE cameras draw their power from the switch, or a power injector upstream.
View Quote

So for us simple people that means I'm only running a single cat6 cable to each camera?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes.  
View Quote
thanks. Been reading your post over the last hour. Looking forward to get the reolink for my new house.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#46]
What's a good bulk cat6 cable I can buy for the reolink cameras?  I plan on running the cable through my crawl space to the living room tv and hooking up six cameras. I'm sure 1000 foot spool will suffice?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What's a good bulk cat6 cable I can buy for the reolink cameras?  I plan on running the cable through my crawl space to the living room tv and hooking up six cameras. I'm sure 1000 foot spool will suffice?
View Quote

Chcek out monoprice.com, 1000ft. will be more than enough for cameras on most houses assuming fairly direct routes for 6 cameras.  Make some educated guesses erring on the long side for the runs and you might get by with a 500ft roll pretty easily.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:09:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a 1600 ft home and 4 50ft runs and 2 75ft runs did it for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Keep that 1000-ft pull-box around the house... because you'll be adding more cameras.  Just wait... you'll see

Oh, and I'd get the solid copper Cat6.  Watch out for copper-coated aluminum... I don't find that to work as well.
View Quote
thanks. I'm sure I'll find some more locations for add ons . Might install some on the trails in the wooded areas of the property.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top