Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And this is how you crush the HPA
View Quote
No. The HPA has been crushed for some time. There is nothing here that will prevent the HPA efforts to continue.

The fact is, this is how change is made - hard work, cooperation and technology.

Sitting around and hoping something will happen changes nothing. You get more people to be NFA owners to grow your constituency, then you have the power to take the whole system down.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I noticed the last form 4 I e-signed from Silencer Shop about a month ago had a QR barcode on it.  Hopefully I'll see that can before the year is over with.
View Quote
Just so there's no confusion, the QR codes are different. Those are used by Silencer Shop for internal purposes. These are standard barcodes, but if you purchased any time after July 11, you have one of the new ones as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see a change. It doesn't take 12 months to enter the F1/4 information. Forms go pending in 30 days or less which means the data entry hasn't changed much in a very long time.

I recall F3's taking a year in the mid 2000's, F4's were longer. The only real change that mattered was when the NFA branch moved and hired all new personnel. F1/4's then started taking a few weeks. While the technology could be improved that isn't the bottleneck and never has been. What is the incentive to speed up the process and what are the consequences when they get slower? The answer to both is there are none. Only a lawsuit will solve any of this...just like last time. I see a great analytics tool for Silencer Shop though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No. The HPA has been crushed for some time. There is nothing here that will prevent the HPA efforts to continue.

The fact is, this is how change is made - hard work, cooperation and technology.

Sitting around and hoping something will happen changes nothing. You get more people to be NFA owners to grow your constituency, then you have the power to take the whole system down.
View Quote
Yeah, it's a very good thing honestly. I like to see things moving forward as much as they will with the government involved.

My point was only that a[t 90-100 days or less, there will be a lot less whining and a lot fewer people calling their reps. So no, not actually crushed, but slowed. And I see an underlying method in it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool beans.

Now just to get out of this commie state I live in.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't see a change. It doesn't take 12 months to enter the F1/4 information. Forms go pending in 30 days or less which means the data entry hasn't changed much in a very long time.

I recall F3's taking a year in the mid 2000's, F4's were longer. The only real change that mattered was when the NFA branch moved and hired all new personnel. F1/4's then started taking a few weeks. While the technology could be improved that isn't the bottleneck and never has been. What is the incentive to speed up the process and what are the consequences when they get slower? The answer to both is there are none. Only a lawsuit will solve any of this...just like last time. I see a great analytics tool for Silencer Shop though.
View Quote
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

This alone won't change a thing long term. If it does improve short term, they will let things backslide - moving slower, reducing processors, whatever. If things ever do improve long term it will be because there is a meaningful commitment to get the job done and get it done in a timely manner - not because they have a data entry shortcut. Although proper tools are indeed an important component of efficiency, they are not the fix.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'll make you a deal. Get me the formula for Coke and I'll tell you how the barcode system works

Seriously though we can't share info about how the ATF system works.
View Quote
Damn did you guys just have to sigh a non-disclosure or a full on national security form?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ah.  My form was submitted in late July, and I got an email from Silencer Shop saying the check was cashed on 8/4.  Would this be in the range of being one of the newer barcoded forms?
View Quote
You're good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Why didn't the fucking e-forms already do that, did they print the damn thing just to retype it in?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Makes me even more satisfied with the $2700 I just spent with SS and Dead Air this week.

Of course $800 of that was for tax stamps.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We are using this now. 
View Quote
Let's do this again
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That is correct a new system for the entire industry. This should keep wait times under 90 days after they clear out the old forms.
View Quote
This is awesome. And the following will make it more awesome:

1) A cookie or config file with my dealer info that is read and auto-populated. If dealer is logged in to SS site, it auto-populates with that. Also auto-populate CLEO notification too.

2) Make it an app.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#18]
My mask HD(from silencershop) just was cashed 2 weeks ago. I miss all the cool shit
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is awesome. And the following will make it more awesome:

1) A cookie or config file with my dealer info that is read and auto-populated. If dealer is logged in to SS site, it auto-populates with that. Also auto-populate CLEO notification too.

2) Make it an app.
View Quote
I believe #1 is already a thing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If the statistic is true (on SS's website) that 50% of post-41F forms had errors, this basically cuts form handling time in half, or even more. The registry is populated automatically with a scan, and the forms are handled once instead of (at least) twice.

...at least that's my first thoughts.
View Quote
That's correct
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I believe #1 is already a thing.
View Quote
thx

They said it checks with ez-check and address/FF#, so that made me think those fields had to be entered.

I will find out for sure soon enough!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If the statistic is true (on SS's website) that 50% of post-41F forms had errors, this basically cuts form handling time in half, or even more. The registry is populated automatically with a scan, and the forms are handled once instead of (at least) twice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

As someone who works for the government, I will tell you first-hand that when your shit is fucked up, it takes me three times as long and you five times as long before your shit gets approved. If your shit is squared away, I love you and want to mouth-kiss you, because you just saved my time, your time, and taxpayer dollars by having some damn common sense and doing what you were already supposed to be doing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#24]
A lot of work went in to this project. And while it's not the deregulation revelation we've all been hoping for, it is a huge step forward for technology and mindset at the ATF.

I was being conservative in the article about wait times to avoid false hopes and broken promises. However, once the system really starts cranking, sub two month approvals are possible.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In before Silencerco issues a press release declaring barcodes illegal.
View Quote
Ha! I'll say - "In before NFATCA cries foul and orders a pizza".

Now to see what the next bottle neck is after data entry.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Any dealer can use it for free. If a dealer chooses not to use it they are just costing the customer time.
View Quote
Does that mean a customer/dealer using the barcode system will have a separate waiting line than those who use the old method?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Question has been asked but not amswered.  Will this pertain to Form 1's as well or just 4's?  Hoping both is the answer.  SS what do you all think you are an IT company or a silencer dealer?  Silicon Valley. of Texas..
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Although every little bit helps, I thought the real hold up was the background check?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe SS can explain it then. The forms still get scanned even with the barcode and the new system does not prevent users from entering incorrect information. I'm sure some error reduction will take place over hand written forms but how much of the current 12 month wait is from errors?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I see more suppressors then in my future, not sure if this is good or bad.  

Get rid of the idiotic prints and photos crap too!!!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I see more suppressors then in my future, not sure if this is good or bad.  

Get rid of the idiotic prints and photos crap too!!!  
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Question has been asked but not amswered.  Will this pertain to Form 1's as well or just 4's?  Hoping both is the answer.  SS what do you all think you are an IT company or a silencer dealer?  Silicon Valley. of Texas..
View Quote
I'll answer in their absence and they can correct me as needed.

With all the variables that go into Form 1's, data quality is a challenge.

However, if you use their Form 1 system, barcodes are currently being printed on those forms.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
See Pete's answer above.

To the second half of your comment... this is what happens when an IT guy starts a silencer store/distributor. As an IT guy myself, I love it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Capitalism at work, friends.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'll make you a deal. Get me the formula for Coke and I'll tell you how the barcode system works

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys need to explain how this actually works.

The barcode seems to be a PDF417 and decodes correctly, but it seems to only have the transferee's name and address and a code that looks like an identifier for what sort of form and revision it's for. So how does the ATF get the rest of the information automatically?

Or is there some special sauce in the barcode that a normal PDF417 decoder wont spit out?

Does it link back to a database to pull the rest of the info somehow?

This very thing occurred to me after I posted earlier.

There's no way for a simple barcode like that to contain all the info from the form. It could be done with a much more complex machine readable system.

I don't see any alternative explanation than that all the customer's proprietary info is entered into their private website and captured, and then the info is transmitted to ATF through some other mechanism than the submitted forms. All the barcode is doing at ATF is telling their computer to recall the info from that other mode of transmission.

I have privacy and information security qualms about this arrangement. As well as a concern that ATF has established some kind of electronic submission system which is only accessible by certain companies.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's no way for a simple barcode like that to contain all the info from the form. It could be done with a much more complex machine readable system.

I don't see any alternative explanation than that all the customer's proprietary info is entered into their private website and captured, and then the info is transmitted to ATF through some other mechanism than the submitted forms. All the barcode is doing at ATF is telling their computer to recall the info from that other mode of transmission.

I have privacy and information security qualms about this arrangement. As well as a concern that ATF has established some kind of electronic submission system which is only accessible by certain companies.
View Quote
A single instance PDF417 barcode can hold over 1kb of data, this looks like such a multi-tiered barcode.... so... it seems possible. There isn't that much data actually entered by the end user on a Form 4. Most of it is the ATF gibberish.

That said, It's a valid concern and Silencershop should make a clear disclosure on the topic.

EDIT: PDF417 data capacity: A single PDF417 symbol can theoretically hold up to 1850 alphanumeric characters, 2710 digits or 1108 bytes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A single instance PDF417 barcode can hold over 1kb of data, this looks like a multi-tiered 3d barcode.... so... it seems possible. There isn't that much data actually entered by the end user on a Form 4. Most of it is the ATF gibberish.

That said, It's a valid concern and Silencershop should make a clear disclosure on the topic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A single instance PDF417 barcode can hold over 1kb of data, this looks like a multi-tiered 3d barcode.... so... it seems possible. There isn't that much data actually entered by the end user on a Form 4. Most of it is the ATF gibberish.

Ive been messing around with it, there doesn't even seem to be that much info in the barcode, a string of numbers that look and act like they just ID what type of form the code is for(ie it doesn't change form to form) and the Transferee's Name and Address, the best I can tell there's no difference in the codes except the transferee's info, so I don't know how it could even reference a specific database entry.

So I don't if it's not working right yet, never worked, or reliant on shit way beyond my understanding. I do know it's not wrapping up and encoding all the form4's info into a barcode.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ive been messing around with it, there doesn't even seem to be that much info in the barcode, a string of numbers that look and act like they just ID what type of form the code is for(ie it doesn't change form to form) and the Transferee's Name and Address, the best I can tell there's no difference in the codes except the transferee's info, so I don't know how it could even reference a specific database entry.

So I don't if it's not working right yet, never worked, or reliant on shit way beyond my understanding. I do know it's not wrapping up and encoding all the form4's info into a barcode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. I generated one, and it's definetly PDF417. And I can't find anything that supports the barcode has all the entries encoded in it...

Example of what I have found in the barcode...

5320010000000000FORM 4TRUST NAME123 STREETSACRAMENTOCA48347

So it appears just some token data that allows it to pull from a database - basically what the topical OP was concerned about.

If that's the case, SilencerCo is collecting, storing, transmitting all data on each transfer that uses this system to generate the paperwork. It's like backdoor eforms, with a third party that has access to the data.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
On Silencer Shop's blog post about this someone asked and they said that it's not going to be able to be used on the Form 1 service for now.  Seemingly left the possibility open for the future though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You're right. I generated one, and it's definetly PDF417. And I can't find anything that supports the barcode has all the entries encoded in it...

So it appears just some token data that allows it to pull from a database - basically what the topical OP was concerned about.

If that's the case, SilencerCo is collecting, storing, transmitting all data on each transfer that uses this system to generate the paperwork. It's like backdoor eforms, with a third party that has access to the data.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the same string I got on all the ones I tried, I can't see a way to discriminate multiple forms from the same transferee. Maybe it's a bug and that pile of zeros should be an unique id, for a database lookup.

Either way how this works seems a least a bit misrepresented.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I can't see a way to discriminate multiple forms from the same transferee. .
View Quote
The number can remain the same, as long as the trust information differs. If the trust information is the same, the number would need to iterate. As it is, it can be unique when all combined.

I haven't done testing to demonstrate this but I can see the efficiency and effectiveness of it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I got 2 types of great news yesterday.

My F4 came in and Silencer Shop puts this information out.

Thank you for making the efforts you all have done in the last several years to improve the NFA process.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#45]
The pessimist in me can't help but think this is blunting one of our arguments for the HPA/whatever it's called now.  Not that we should need it, but 'incompetent government bureaucracy' was one of the most undeniable ones.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You gotta think about it differently. Regardless of what caused the 12-month wait (which is volume), if you cut the handling time in half, the wait gets reduced because the stack clears faster. The person on the top of the stack doesn't notice it, but the one on the bottom sure does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe SS can explain it then. The forms still get scanned even with the barcode and the new system does not prevent users from entering incorrect information. I'm sure some error reduction will take place over hand written forms but how much of the current 12 month wait is from errors?
You gotta think about it differently. Regardless of what caused the 12-month wait (which is volume), if you cut the handling time in half, the wait gets reduced because the stack clears faster. The person on the top of the stack doesn't notice it, but the one on the bottom sure does.
I don't need to think about it differently, this isn't about correcting errors. I do process management day in and out and the basic statistics of this don't look right. There is nothing preventing transposing errors that isn't already available and users can still submit incorrect information. If this is indeed a backdoor e-file as suggested then just say so.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The pessimist in me can't help but think this is blunting one of our arguments for the HPA/whatever it's called now.  Not that we should need it, but 'incompetent government bureaucracy' was one of the most undeniable ones.
View Quote
Wait times should never be an argument for the deregulation of silencers. Instead we should push individual freedom and the fallacy of controlling inanimate objects as reasons for killing the NFA.

If we ease up on the pressure to get HPA into law it is our own fault.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As someone who works for the government, I will tell you first-hand that when your shit is fucked up, it takes me three times as long and you five times as long before your shit gets approved. If your shit is squared away, I love you and want to mouth-kiss you, because you just saved my time, your time, and taxpayer dollars by having some damn common sense and doing what you were already supposed to be doing.
View Quote
Is it wrong that I laughed out loud at this?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The number can remain the same, as long as the trust information differs. If the trust information is the same, the number would need to iterate. As it is, it can be unique when all combined.

I haven't done testing to demonstrate this but I can see the efficiency and effectiveness of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't see a way to discriminate multiple forms from the same transferee. .

Yeah it doesnt iterate, make two different forms with the same transferee and you will get the same barcode
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't think all of the form information is embedded in the barcode.  Looks like they are using an index key to reference information from a database to populate the ATF input application.  So this eliminates where the form would orginally have been input manually into the system for future review/processing.  The error elimination I see being on the ATF end to prevent fat fingering data input so Silencershop keys the data for the ATF preventing reinput so less chance of errors after everything is orginally verified.  

Makes you wonder where the data is housed and how it is shared with the ATF.  Don't really want my address and info of my NFA goodies floating around especially without my consent to this method.  Now if it was fully disclosed and risks were noted then all good but seems peoples information is being used in "beta" testing a method of data transport between Silencershop and the ATF.  

Maybe this will speed things up and be a start to doing Form 4s though efile because thats basically what this sounds like.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top