BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone with a Breach seeing an issue similar to the one described below? Any advice?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Anyone with a Breach seeing an issue similar to the one described below? Any advice?

I first noticed my pallet "out door alert" was flooding everything as "Hot". I'm in NJ and in the woods at midnight at a temp of 30 degrees or less. If I look up at all passed eye level, everything washes out red. It does not do this indoors however, where everything IS warm. Tech told me to adjust my contrast and gain, nothing worked. Then tech said it's a pretty useless pallet.
I don't have a breach but on my PTS233, the outdoor alert setting is not useless but I find immediately after dark on a sunny day it can be difficult to use.

However you should be able to adjust the contrast way up and the gain down and then slowly increase to gain until just a hot target pops?

Try contrast settings  between 150 and 200, and gain settings below 100 possibly below 75.

That's what works for me
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't have a breach but on my PTS233, the outdoor alert setting is not useless but I find immediately after dark on a sunny day it can be difficult to use.

However you should be able to adjust the contrast way up and the gain down and then slowly increase to gain until just a hot target pops?

Try contrast settings  between 150 and 200, and gain settings below 100 possibly below 75.

That's what works for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I first noticed my pallet "out door alert" was flooding everything as "Hot". I'm in NJ and in the woods at midnight at a temp of 30 degrees or less. If I look up at all passed eye level, everything washes out red. It does not do this indoors however, where everything IS warm. Tech told me to adjust my contrast and gain, nothing worked. Then tech said it's a pretty useless pallet.

That's what works for me
That’s what works for me too...
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut off crappy wire holding on lens cover.  Replace with 95 Paracord and add a loop to attach a layard.  Add some Velcro to cover and body...now there is somewhere to stick it.  Basically just rigged it up like my pvs14.

Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cut off crappy wire holding on lens cover.  Replace with 95 Paracord and add a loop to attach a layard.  Add some Velcro to cover and body...now there is somewhere to stick it.  Basically just rigged it up like my pvs14.

https://image.ibb.co/k9ZLEH/IMG_20180424_160400383.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/iCHJ1x/IMG_20180424_160338751_LL.jpg
View Quote
Nice setup!

I don't remember if it was you or not, but at some point someone mentioned that a Butler Creek style flip cap would have been nice, and I agree. That said, I'm not finding the cap it came with to be so bad compared to some of the comments I've seen about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice setup!

I don't remember if it was you or not, but at some point someone mentioned that a Butler Creek style flip cap would have been nice, and I agree. That said, I'm not finding the cap it came with to be so bad compared to some of the comments I've seen about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://image.ibb.co/k9ZLEH/IMG_20180424_160400383.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/iCHJ1x/IMG_20180424_160338751_LL.jpg
Nice setup!

My cap is snug and stays in place better then the day filer on a pvs 14 for sure.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't someone here have a nice lanyard setup with their Breach? Looking around and can't find it now.

I'm using my Breach entirely as a handheld. For now I've attached a very small but sturdy key ring to one of the small holes on the housing. I have a length of 550 cord tied to it with a loop to go around my wrist. This is purely intended as drop insurance. I also looped another longer piece of 550 cord through the key ring and tied the ends. This I'm using to hang around my neck, and it's more quickly removable than the hand lanyard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Didn't someone here have a nice lanyard setup with their Breach? Looking around and can't find it now.

I'm using my Breach entirely as a handheld. For now I've attached a very small but sturdy key ring to one of the small holes on the housing. I have a length of 550 cord tied to it with a loop to go around my wrist. This is purely intended as drop insurance. I also looped another longer piece of 550 cord through the key ring and tied the ends. This I'm using to hang around my neck, and it's more quickly removable than the hand lanyard.
View Quote
I put a quick detach sling loop on the mini rail on my PTS 233, tied a length of para cord to loop so that I could wear around my neck.

I guess this would work on the breach also?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I put a quick detach sling loop on the mini rail on my PTS 233, tied a length of para cord to loop so that I could wear around my neck.

I guess this would work on the breach also?
View Quote
This may be what I'm thinking of. What QD sling loop are you using that fits that rail?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:27:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This may be what I'm thinking of. What QD sling loop are you using that fits that rail?
View Quote
I don't remember exact brand. Something from brownells I'm sure.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have the Magpul sling attachment to confirm it would work?

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone have the Magpul sling attachment to confirm it would work?

https://imgur.com/a/4nEISDw
View Quote
I just thought of this, the breach I was using last week has at least one free loop point incorporated into the housing.  The hole is small.

I'm sure a small split ring (key ring) could be attached permanently that would make it easier to clip a lanyard onto the key ring.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just thought of this, the breach I was using last week has at least one free loop point incorporated into the housing.  The hole is small.

I'm sure a small split ring (key ring) could be attached permanently that would make it easier to clip a lanyard onto the key ring.
View Quote
Yep, that's what I've done for now, except I just have 550 cord attached to the key ring.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Some pics, only have about 20 minutes on the unit, will get out into the fields tonight to see if I can get some eyes on critters. Very impressed with this unit especially for having a tiny 9.1mm lense. I will say the factory defaults on enhanced settings will leave you kind of disappointed, if you have any thermal experience you will know exactly what needs to be adjusted, if you dont have any expierence get in there and make some changes you can always return to default.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some pics, only have about 20 minutes on the unit, will get out into the fields tonight to see if I can get some eyes on critters. Very impressed with this unit especially for having a tiny 9.1mm lense. I will say the factory defaults on enhanced settings will leave you kind of disappointed, if you have any thermal experience you will know exactly what needs to be adjusted, if you dont have any expierence get in there and make some changes you can always return to default.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/311659/20180515_115237-544971.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/311659/20180515_115305-544970.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/311659/20180515_113202-544972.jpg
View Quote
Care to share some setting tips?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Care to share some setting tips?
View Quote
Settings will change with your environment here is where I started.

AGC speed full stop outdoors.
Smart scene I will adjust as needed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Something showed up at my door today
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/4636/Ziyy6p.jpg

Something showed up at my door today.
View Quote
Me too!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Can’t get video to link
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#21]
First videos and few thoughts from a four hour test run last night. The construction like my old Q14 is very solid plus with the smaller lens system up front the breach is even a touch smaller than the old model Q14. Basically said it’s tiny for a thermal mono on today’s market.

I found the menu easy to use as would anyone who has owned a older Armasight thermal. I also have no complaints on the menu or buttons they seem well throughout for a simple three button pad system. Taking pictures or video was easy no need to enter menu for that just quick push/pushes of center button.

Performance wise it’s better than my 2016 model Q14 336 for sure just a better focused/contrast/sharper image overal. That said I ran it beside my IR Patrol last night folks the Patrol ate the Breach for dinner and then some. It’s  not even close so don’t go getting any ideas the 320 Breach is going to perform like a true 640 core system.

With that said the breach does well for a 320 core and 1X lens the image is smooth and shows good contrast overall. I like the Breach it’s a keeper just know it’s not a replacement for a full size hunting  320 class Moncoular 30mm or larger lens system which I believe you need with a 320 class system. The 1X lens just lacks for positive ID much past 75-100 yards tops.Sure you can “detect” targets hundreds of yards out no issue. I found myself really liking the outdoor alert setting the most also pretty cool and useful. I also adjusted out the enhancement settings to fit the conditions better last night .

Overall, I think the Breach is perfect for a EDC type thermal to have with you, good law enforcement/self defense type system wide FOV/easy to use and the guy like me that has several thermals and can now buy more specialize type gear vs one multi-purpose type unit.

The Breach wouldnt be my choice for a lone hunting thermal mono at least in a 320 core. Folks it needs a bigger  lens for anything other than hunting in the woods. It’s a micro thermal monocular don’t expect it to run head to head against a full featured thermal mono with larger lens in open areas.

When the Breach 640 core starts shipping I will be ordering that one for sure.

[youtube]zIrm7R5gQqg[/youtube
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
A buddy of mine just got a PTS233. He had not yet calibrated his compass so the upper right corner of the display had different text than mine.

I took both units set them to black hot and looked through them simultaneously, and lo and behold if you adjust the angle of each unit so the images overlay you do get one large image.

I don't know if it would work with two breaches on a helmet or not but it seems like it would and the dual image when properly overlaid seemed larger than life. It was impressive.

I mentioned the text in the upper right corner being different on my buddies unit. I didn't think to switch eyes at the time but his unit was over my left eye and I'm guessing my right eye being the dominant eye only read the text from my unit on my right eye?  There was not any blurring in the upper right corner.

Just a little casual observation. I thought it was fun and has potential.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I just discovered that my new breach will play back recorded video to the display.

My PTS233 will not do this, it will only
review pics.

Interesting.

I need to also check to see if user defined settings stay the same between power cycles.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just discovered that my new breach will play back recorded video to the display.

My PTS233 will not do this, it will only
review pics.

Interesting.

I need to also check to see if user defined settings stay the same between power cycles.
View Quote
I can't get my Breach to display either videos or pictures. Only way I can see them is if I download them to a computer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine will play video back also

Go to recordings in menu

Click on file,use arrow buttons to find a video then click center to confirm

Then click on preview and video should play
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:12:12 AM EDT
[#26]
On my PTS 233, under the recording's menu it will show the video file name but there is no play option.

I'm guessing this will be available to all in a firmware update.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I think I'm crazy but I seem to remember a youtube where the guy was going through the settings and showed briefly how to turn off all info on the screen-- battery indicator, compass etc (except flir logo)

Is there a way to turn off everything for video recording?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mine will play video back also

Go to recordings in menu

Click on file,use arrow buttons to find a video then click center to confirm

Then click on preview and video should play
View Quote
Thank you!!!!  Works on mine for video only.  Pic has a preview option but nothing happens.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone know what the compass calibration duration is supposed to be whereby it will remain calibrated?

Seems like each time out if I want to use the Compass I've got to recalibrate.

It's not so much a power cycle that it may lose its calibration. I think it happens more between  when a battery change occurs?

Can anyone confirm this or know what it is supposed to do?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I tried removing the battery and nothing changed with my compass.

I fly drones so have learned if you travel to new areas that’s when it’s a good time to recalibrate your compass. I assume that’s a good idea with the Breach also.

One thing I did notice is when I setup my custom enhancement settings the contrast keeps resetting itself to 98 when I power off. Everything else stays at my custom setting. Alittle firmware glitch I guess.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Initially I was pretty bummed when people told me a thermal 'basically cant' see through window screens very well.

I have to report that I just tried using my PTS233 out of a window through a screen and the result is really good! Probably 10-15% worse picture quality (if that).

I'm still learning the fine tuning but I could see bats flying around outside at least 60 yards away just fine. Details too, the definition of wood grain on the shingles (20 feet away) leaves and trees all really clean. There is an overall grain in the image but perhaps tweaking settings would clean it up a lot.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top