BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go a simpler route, I think.

First take the telestock off. Then remove the screws in the top. Notice the pin next to the push button. This is a blocking pin held in by three trianguler "indents" for lack of a better word. I'd dremel the triangular indents off. Then remove the blocking pin. Finally, I'd either order the appropriate recoil spring can PN 049J(I'll call it the rod for simplicity's sake), or I'd dremel or handfile grooves at the desired positons on the top of the rod similar to the one all the way at the rear and the top.

All you'd have to do then is press the button and move the telestock to the desired position and release the stock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
According to both the dealer I spoke with, & Benelli customer service, the actual sliding (Not to be confused w/ the "skeletonized" abortion) stock is being sold, & I also don't believe it ever had more than 2 positions (open & closed).

I'm not sure I understand how a fully functional, collapsible stock can be fitted onto the M4S90 & yet not work. This SG was deigned to have modular stock fitting options, & the stocks are supposed to be self-contained units. Is there something in/on the receiver that prevents it from working?.

Dammit! Never mind. I know what you're saying.

OK, then: Is it possible to buy the recoil spring housing w/ the slide groove & setting indentations?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
OK, then: Is it possible to buy the recoil spring housing w/ the slide groove & setting indentations?

I just emailed a Benelli dealer about an hour ago. I'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just emailed a Benelli dealer about an hour ago. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for lookin' out for me, mang!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, that's all what I was told by Benelli.  Gotta get the 11707 and match it with 70085.  No other easy way to get the collapsible stock.  That's why I ordered the 11707.  Doesn't seem to make much sense, but hey, it's their products, so I'd just as soon let them tell me what parts go together.  Once I figured out that the M4 is NOT on the ATF hit list, the legality issue resolved itself.  Can't wait to "brandish" the M4 at the range, especially to the LE guys.... I'm outa here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yep, that's all what I was told by Benelli.  Gotta get the 11707 and match it with 70085.  No other easy way to get the collapsible stock.  That's why I ordered the 11707.  Doesn't seem to make much sense, but hey, it's their products, so I'd just as soon let them tell me what parts go together.  Once I figured out that the M4 is NOT on the ATF hit list, the legality issue resolved itself.  Can't wait to "brandish" the M4 at the range, especially to the LE guys.... I'm outa here.

#11707 - what part is this? I thought part #049J was for the slotted recoil spring tube.

Once again - never mind. I figured it out. It isn't shown in my '03 Benelli catalog, but that's the specific part# for the version of the M4S90 that has the proper machining in the recoil spring tube that will allow the stock to collapse. I need to get this information to my Benelli dealer ASAP.

Thanks once again, ipguy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
This newest information kind of sucks. Is it possible to buy the part # 049J, the recoil spring housing with the proper indents?
I think I need pictures to visualize the problem at hand. Or, would it be possible for a gunsmith to mill these notches into the recoil spring housing?
I wish all of this info had been out a week ago.
-Steve
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, that is always the problem with "bleeding edge" purchases.  I quizzed the Benelli people and triple confirmed the part numbers and info before I ordered from the local dealer.  Good thing, too, because the local dealer just did not know.  But, he called Benelli himself to confirm everything I gave him with the specific issue of "what combination of parts will result in a collapsible stock on the M4."  There is simply no written information from Benelli at this point which unequivocally makes this crystal clear, although I note that Cal's Sporting Armory site does have enough fine print to make all of those conclusions.  Once we were all on the same page, he made the order.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This newest information kind of sucks. Is it possible to buy the part # 049J, the recoil spring housing with the proper indents?
I think I need pictures to visualize the problem at hand. Or, would it be possible for a gunsmith to mill these notches into the recoil spring housing?
I wish all of this info had been out a week ago.
-Steve

I got an email out there. If I don't get a response today. I'll email again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got an email back from the Benelli dealer I use. They cannot buy that part seperately. Sorry for the bad news.

Like I said before, you can make an M1014 go to two positions will very little modifications.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, you guys have lost me completely. I have never completely removed the ENTIRE stock assembly from my M1014 (tube and all), but was under the impression that the pistol grip and telestock were ONE assembly. Sort of like the standard pistol grip stock, only with a tube in the middle. Can't you just remove it all and replace it with the new, telescoping one? If you were to order the stock that everyone in this thread is talking about, what would you be getting? Does the tube that the stock slides in and out on not come with it? Someone please take the time to school me on all of this, and perhaps link me to some illustrations as well. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Madness,

I was under the impression that the tube was part of the stock assembly, but that doesn't seem to be the case, judging from the input. dpot's dremmel recipe might actually do the trick, but I can't say for sure.

At any rate, I ordered 2 ea. of SG (PN #11707) & PN #70085 from Benelli today, & was confirmed via the dealer w/ Benelli during my order that PN #11707 does have the requisit grooves in the recoil spring housing needed to work w/ the collapsible stock. In my original confirmation call to Benelli, I even got the PN # for the full-length, 7-shot feed tube (not the extension), which I'd prefer to have for "purity", but the dealer w/ whom I placed my order said it's not immediately available, so I'll just try to handle the matter directly w/ Benelli next Monday. Hope I can squeeze a couple from them.

I have to hand another big thanks to ipguy for revealing the little detail concerning the PN # for the collapsible stock-compatible version of the M4S90. I probably would not have caught it until I had the SG in my hand, unless Benelli's customer service would have otherwise been so kind as to clued me in.

Dumped a lot of $$$ into this, but I think it's worth it. I blinked & the AW ban hit in '94, & I missed out on some opportunities. Not letting that happen again.

Got the real-deal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#13]
So does the real deal M4 have more then two positions to lock the stock into? My delivery day is Monday, so that will help me visualize the problem a little better. I don't even know if I want to bother with the collapsible stock yet or not. Mainly, I would like the option.
I simply got the model number 11703. Almost the day I finalized my order, news of the 11707 hits. Damnit.

I think we're going to need some pictures to see the difference. Plus some shots of modifications.
Anyone know the strength of this collapsible stock? From the sounds of it, the design seems kind of flimsy.
I've got to dig up an old article about the weapon to see how the action of the stock works.
If it is sturdy, couldn't multiple "addresses" be milled into the recoil spring housing to facilitate multiple pull lengths?
-Steve
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Okay, you guys have lost me completely. I have never completely removed the ENTIRE stock assembly from my M1014 (tube and all), but was under the impression that the pistol grip and telestock were ONE assembly. Sort of like the standard pistol grip stock, only with a tube in the middle.

That, unfortunately, is not the case. The pistol grip and the buttstock are included in the stock assembly, but the recoil spring tube IS NOT. It is a seperate part (#049J). Benelli will NOT sell the recoil spring tube seperately. I've emailed my normal Benelli dealer and he cannot get the part either.

Can't you just remove it all and replace it with the new, telescoping one?

No.

If you were to order the stock that everyone in this thread is talking about, what would you be getting?

You would get the buttstock and the pistol grip, but you would not get the tube.

Does the tube that the stock slides in and out on not come with it? Someone please take the time to school me on all of this, and perhaps link me to some illustrations as well. Thanks.

No the tube does not come with the stock assembly. That's why ipguy and others had to order the, once restricted, LE version of the gun. The LE version of the gun comes with the appropriate grooves in the tube. The M1014 and the civy version do not. Sorry I don't have pictures. Try Benelli forums at www.benelliusa.com, search for M1014, M4, stocks etc. There are some illustrations there.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So does the real deal M4 have more then two positions to lock the stock into?

I don't know. I only have the faux version.

My delivery day is Monday, so that will help me visualize the problem a little better. I don't even know if I want to bother with the collapsible stock yet or not. Mainly, I would like the option.I simply got the model number 11703. Almost the day I finalized my order, news of the 11707 hits. Damnit.

Sorry to hear that.

I think we're going to need some pictures to see the difference. Plus some shots of modifications.

I don't know of any shots of mods. I don't know of anyone who has performed them. Again try Benelli Forums for pics. Someone had posted pictures of the LE tube IIRC

know the strength of this collapsible stock? From the sounds of it, the design seems kind of flimsy.

It's pretty sturdy actually. It doesn't look it, but it is steel except for the comb, which is plastic. The working parts are steel though.

I've got to dig up an old article about the weapon to see how the action of the stock works.
If it is sturdy, couldn't multiple "addresses" be milled into the recoil spring housing to facilitate multiple pull lengths?
-Steve

That's my dremel solution I described earlier. However, if you know a gunsmith with a milling machine I think he could make it look and work better.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
In my original confirmation call to Benelli, I even got the ON # for the full-length, 7-shot feed tube (not the extension), which I'd prefer to have for "purity", but the dealer w/ whom I placed my order said it's not immediately available, so I'll just try to handle the matter directly w/ Benelli next Monday. Hope I can squeeze a couple from them.

Someone on this board said that changing out the magazine tube on the Benelli M1014 was a very difficult process and not something that the average guy could do at home. Anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's a photo of the gun field-stripped:

I can't tell how the feed tube is held in place. If it's anything like my old Mossburg 590, it should be friction fit into the receiver, so not a problem. Just guessing, but that large pin in the receiver, just aft of the tube insertion point, might be what locks it into the receiver, & maybe that's what makes removal so difficult. I guess I'll know for sure once I have it in my hands.

Oh yeah, here's a photo of the gun in stock-collapsed mode, just for the hell of it :

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#18]
BTW - anyone know where a compensator can be had for these. I've heard something's available which will screw right in to the choke threads.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I put a letter in the mail today asking the BATF about the legality of adding the functioning stock to the M1014. I know some people frown upon asking the BATF for a ruling on anything, but heck, I don't want to jeopardize my freedoms over something as simple as adding a telestock.

Bump to see if M4Madness got a response from the BATF.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I put a letter in the mail today asking the BATF about the legality of adding the functioning stock to the M1014. I know some people frown upon asking the BATF for a ruling on anything, but heck, I don't want to jeopardize my freedoms over something as simple as adding a telestock.

Bump to see if M4Madness got a response from the BATF.

Not yet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I know there's a lot of anger about this whole collapsible stock thing with the M1014, but I just had to say...

My M4 (11707) and collapsible stock (70085) and mag extension (81043P) all came in Friday.  After working with the dealer's gunsmith to remove the standard stock, we installed the "real" stock and the mag extension, and it is GREAT!  Of course, haven't shot it yet, but there were a number of other people in the shop, including a LA state trooper.  Yes, I got the standard, "Man, where you goin' to war with that thing?" from one of the older fellows.  I just smiled, and said "Home defense, man."  Then, I eased into an explanation of 3-gun competitions.  Most were clueless.  But, the guys behind the counter had a ball; never had one of those in the store, and they were falling over themselves wanting to play with it.  Quite a funny scene.

I'll report back once I get to the range and put 200 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Glad to see you like it. I retrofitted mine with a standard stock and a magazine extension for use during the AWB. The stock isn't that big of a deal, as long as the gun runs rounds thought it reliably.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#24]
ip,

How ling did it take to get delivery on yours? I was told mine would take a full month. It's only been a week now, so I'm stuck waiting, fiddling.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Told me 7-10 days, and it was 10 days.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top