Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer them to the pistol grips.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just shot some rounds though it. I have to say I love the rifle. Action is really smooth. Trigger is good, I was not bothered by the "flop" in the trigger. And although my front sight is slightly canted, it is shooting pretty good with the XS sights. I don't think I will even bother sending it back to have the sight fixed.

http://i.imgur.com/wpoXEjG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iY0WmgO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jXnIlKL.jpg
View Quote
I had the SBL which is the stainless version of your gun.

Hornady 45-70 325 gr FTX LEVERevolution vs a watermelon
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So basically, everyone who bad mouths the new "Remlins" don't own one and are talking about guns they only handled years ago, ....

And the people who actually OWN a "Remlin" from the recent past all like them and say they are fine.

So OP, who you going to believe?
View Quote
Imagine that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Decided to jump in.  New Remlin 1895CBA in 45-70.  Looks really good, all wood to metal fit is good.  Action is smooth.  Have only test fired so far, but plan on doing more.  Not really a hunter, but just in case, this becomes my deer/hog gun.  Sold my 6.8SPC upper now that I have this.  The 6.8 was also a "just in case".
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The current production Marlins are the best Marlins ever made.
View Quote
bullshit.  they suck.

JM stamped Marlins are the only ones I buy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:09:49 AM EDT
[#6]
The new Remlins are nowhere near the quality of the real, older Marlins. Speaking from personal experience. However, they are still a good value.

As long as you know how they are nowadays, and are not expecting the quality of the old, I'd still pick one up for a good price.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
bullshit.  they suck.

JM stamped Marlins are the only ones I buy.
View Quote
GOOD!!!  That leaves Many MANY great rifles for the rest of us. You can have all the PRICE GOUGED JM's you want. Quite frankly, I'm glad they are few and far between in my area.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The new Remlins are nowhere near the quality of the real, older Marlins. Speaking from personal experience. However, they are still a good value.

As long as you know how they are nowadays, and are not expecting the quality of the old, I'd still pick one up for a good price.
View Quote
Do you get out much??
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I am really enjoying my Remlin. Action is really smooth. Shooting like a dream. And everyone who shot it so far, loves it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
the mossberg model 464 is a nicely made gun
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:BTW, get ready to see some factory threaded options show up...
View Quote

What caliber and what will the twist rate be on them?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why buy a sub par remlin when there are so many fairly priced real Marlins available?
View Quote
There are no fairly priced Marlins. And as for "sub par Remlins". Stop reading all the garbage, and go take an honest look for yourself.

I have THREE Remlins, and not one is "sub par".
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The "Remlins" of current production are very nice if you actually go see one in person. See for your self and make your own call, be independent.

BTW, get ready to see some factory threaded options show up...
View Quote
Yes please!!!!!! I've been wanting a lever action host but I've put it off because of the hassle of finding and threading an older one. If a new factory threaded option of decent quality comes out I'll jump on it!

I'll take a .357 myself!
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Picking the guns for range day, mine always seems to make the cut.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I have two current production ones(last 5 years).. a 336w and 1895c both are fine in the fit and finish department and shoot great.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Having owned the same gun both Marlin and Remington made.  The fit and finish and smoothness is amazingly different. The Remington gun was stiff the wood fit was horrible.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got a 336W from the GF for my Bday, the box indicated 7/2017 so pretty much as good example of the current ones as any. I went over it with a fine toothed comb and was impressed with the fit/finish/function. I shot 20 rds. through it last tuesday and it is so much fun! 

Nothing wrong with a current Remlin. 

It rekindled my lever action interests and find myself looking at various .44s. 

I wouldn't hesitate. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I have four JM Marlins and one MR. My newest JM is a 444P Outfitter chambered in .444 Marlin. My one MR is an 1895G Guide Gun chambered in .45-70 Gov't.

I do agree than Marlin let a lot of rifles out of the Illion NY plant that never should have been seen by the public. Terrible finish and even worse fit of metal and wood.  However, all of the ones that I have seen in the last 3 years or so have looked pretty good. I was lucky to be able to select mine from several that were in stock. I admit that it does not have the high polished blue and the grain of the buttstock and forearm don't match as well as on my 444P but it is still a good looking rifle.

It is also very accurate and I am very pleased with it.   I cannot say for certain that all of the new Marlins are as good as mine but the ones that I have seen lately are looking pretty good.

444P on left, 1895G on right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Since we're going with the anecdotal stories: A friend has a JM cowboy and the action is stiffer and trigger worse than a remlin I have.  That jm also has been shot more than my remlin.  

I just got a new 1895 during the rebate last month and it's nicer than 90% of the used JM guns that roll through my local shops.  

In other words, there is always an exception.  Every manufacturer has lemons sometimes.  If you can fondle a new Marlin to ensure its not a lemon Don't hesitate to buy one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#21]
My $250 1895 from Walmart is honestly pretty nice. Bluing on the barrel is some of the better I've seen on a new gun these days. Wood and fit is very good. Action and trigger are a little stiff.  My only complaint is they did t deburr the lever or loading gate too well so loading and shooting it is a bit of an exfoliating experience.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top