User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Feldwebelfritzmilitaria.com.     Item. # slg-3  $19.98
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
How are the sights on these rifles?  Is there a rail to mount anything or did i just blaspheme
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Blasphemer!    This gun is perfect as is.    Except it shoots too low unless you crank up the sights.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Well, I just received my STG 44 today, yea!   My local dealer bought 2 of them, 1 for me
and another one for him to sell.  The one
he had, was sold within a couple of hours.
It surprised him that it sold that quick.

I had one
minor issue but it’s no biggie for me (I’ll have pics of what the issue is
below).  I also bought a couple extra
mags with it.  

Here are some pics:

The unique case:

Made by the Amish in New York:

Contents which included:

1 GSG-StG44

1 Magazine

1 Handbook

1 Cleaning Brush

1 Buttstock

1 Loaded Chamber Indicator

Also included, a gun lock, small container of lube
and a sticker

You have to take off the handguard that is mounted on top of
the barrel (like is above pic) and install it over the barrel (see last pic)

Ok, this is were I goofed.  If you happen to swing down the trigger group without the buttstock installed...

... these parts will become projectiles!  Luckily, it is easy to put back together!

This is the only issue I had, just a scratch on the top of
the receiver but personally, I’m ok with it.

Here is the finished rifle put together.  It’s a solid rifle that is very well
made.

I haven’t had the chance to shoot it yet, but that will
change tomorrow!    

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Danke!

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Danke! I will look better with a good sling......

Edit......cannot seem to be able to add this part to cart.

Sling

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu317/ubinsniped/Militaria/germanfelicia01.jpg

You might have to call if you can't get it to add to cart.  They only had ten of them.  Maybe they are out.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=42883

Mine was not packaged like that, the handguard was installed correctly....WTF

I thought it was odd but I didn't know any better and it didn't scratch anything up being that way.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Picked one up today.

What would be the correct sling for the STG-44?

Any word on when extra mags will be available?

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Can someone post a pic of the correct way to thread the sling on a STG-44?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I picked up my STG 44 today and took it for a test spin. Here is a quick review:
1) I can live without the wood box, It would be more practical if it was long enough to hold the rifle fully assembled.Rope handles should be longer and the wood edges sanded. As is, it makes for some scuffed up knuckles.
2) I am a little leery about removing the buttstock often, wondering how long it will be before it loosens up. I dont think there is much that can be done to remedy this, its inherent in the design.
3) The safety is a little counter-intuitive, but I think it is set up just like the originals, so it is what it is.
4) I ran about 300-350 rounds through it with only two problelms: A Remington Thunderbold failed to eject once, and the cartidges failed to feed from the magazine once, which is an inherent problem in a high cap mag. It fired Blazer, Rem Thunderbolts, CCI Mini-mags, Winchester and Federal High velocity ammo with no problems other than as stated above.
5) Front sight way too high, but I had a small file in my shooting box and after two "adjustments" the rifle was right on for elevation at 50 yards with the rear sight set at 7 with a six o'clock hold on a six inch bull. Windage was set quite far to the left but we had a gusty wind today so I will have to wait for a calm day to see what the windage "zero" should be. Took a few shots at 100 and elevation seemed OK but I need to do more testing at 100. I dont know if I wanta to file the front sight down further because it is tapered and any further filing willl  make it much thicker.
6 I like the full size mag for authenticiy, but I would love to see a 10 or 15 round short mag. It would make the rifle a lot easier to shoot from the bench. AS it, its almost impossible to shoot from the bench unless you have an extreamly high front rest.
7) Too bad the front sight is not adjustable for windage. I might file if off, cut my own dovetail, and put a Mauser 98 front blade in to remedy that issue.
8) Trigger quite heavy but not mushy;, so I can live with it.
9) Accuracy acceptable, and in line with what others have posted, will have to wait for a calmer day to get any valid results.
10) I am trying to figure out a quick and effecive way to clean the interior of the reciever Tried a 12 guage mop on a short cleaning rod, and it worked OK but the diameter could be larger. Need something like an extra long Q-tiip to get the grooves clean.
11) Hopefully some extra parts will be available soon, like the stock attachment pin, and that plastic part that goes in the rear of the reciever.
12) If the sling were mounted on the left side of the rifle it could be used as a shooting sling, but it is on the right side, just like the originals, so it is what it is. Left handed shooters can use it as a shooting sling. The Germans never used the sling for shooting, only as a carry strap.
13) Would like to see some specific recommendations for where it should be lubed.I put some lube on the bold assembly where it rides the grooves in the reciever. Dont know about lubing the trigger.
Will try to post a photo of the sling, but not tonight.

I hope this is helpful to those who are still waiting or trying to decide.
Joe S

OVERALL, 100% satisfied, waiting for some extra mags and a few spare parts.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#14]
One correction:  According to Small Arms of the World, the safety on the original STG rifles was SAFE in the UP position. The GSG version is the opposit. If the Safety is Safe in the UP position, it if very easy and practical to move it to FIRE by pushing it down with the thumb, which is consistent with most other guns that I am familiar with. Joe S
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Just back from shooting the new STG-44.

Overall I'm happy with it.

Gun ran fine.
Had a couple of misfeeds and one failure to fire in 400rds. All rounds were CCI Mini-Mag and CCI AR Tactical long rifle.
The failure to fire was a cartridge issue. Turned the cartridge 90degrees, re-inserted, and it fired normally.
The misfeeds were probably from not inserting the mag in place firmly enough. It happened both times on 1st round from mag.
Accuracy seemed good to me. 2-3inch or so at 50yds. My bad eyes plus a wobbly high front rest = so-so accuracy.
The rear sight is at 7 elevation and near dead center on windage.
Trigger is heavy but not that bad. I'll get used to it.
Cleaning wasn't difficult. The bolt is very similar to my CMMG  22LR AR upper set-up.
Bench shooting is a pain with that long mag.
The gun ran very well right out of the box.
Like any other 22 semi, cleanliness is very important.
The wood box is a waste IMO. After the gun is assembled it will never be used again. I'd rather have another mag or two and/or a sling.

I'm hoping spare mags become available soon.  I'll buy at least 3 or 4 more.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:30:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm hoping spare mags become available soon.  I'll buy at least 3 or 4 more.

Me to!!  I just put one on lay-a-way today and I would be in the market for at least four/five 25rd magazines as well.  Also, a "short" 10rd magazine would be nice for bench shooting.

Next to the Ruger 10/22 family and the Umarex MP-5 models, the new GSG/ATI StG-44 is one of the best AND one of the most fun to shoot .22L/R on the market today.

...Not really into WW2 or Nazi weapons, other than the Luger pistol, but I had to have a StG-44  for the collection!!  

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Altoghether now:

WHAT DO WE WANT?
EXTRA MAGS!

WHEN DO WE WANT THEM?

NOW!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We're importing extra mags as fast as they can be produced.  Finally have confirmation that 10 rounders will be here in Nov.  Hopefully by Jan or Feb we'll have a shorty 10 rnd as well for bench rest.

Just checked your website.
When are the 25rd mags going to be available?

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We're receiving between 1000 & 1500 mags a month right now.  They are all presold to our distributors.  Our website is pretty much just another place to push out our overstock, so until direct sales to our distributors slow down on the mags and we have on hand sitting inventory, the mags will not be available on our site.  Best bet is to get in touch with your local FFL and have them get an order into one of our distributors to get into their back order cue.

Can you tell me who your distributors are so I can tell my FFL where to look?

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One correction:  According to Small Arms of the World, the safety on the original STG rifles was SAFE in the UP position. The GSG version is the opposit. If the Safety is Safe in the UP position, it if very easy and practical to move it to FIRE by pushing it down with the thumb, which is consistent with most other guns that I am familiar with. Joe S

I've run into the backwards safeties on some Century Arms rifles like Galil and G3 copies. My bet is that lawyers are involved.... Since I'm kind of used to it the safety doesn't shake me up but it was a bit weird at first.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I had to get one. It's only money.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#25]
This would be cool albeit none functional flash hider for the GSG STG44.

Link Posted: 10/27/2012 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#26]

That is a fantasy item. No know originals exist to my knowledge.

Link Posted: 10/27/2012 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is a fantasy item. No know originals exist to my knowledge.

Post war actually. The bottom one is from a hungarian STG44. I'm not sure as to why it has nazi markings though. Unless these were made in WWII but never used.
After all people thought that the ten round short mags for the stg were post war, until they dug up a rusted stg with one inserted.
The SKS was said to have been used at the end of WWII but no known pictures exist.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#28]
At the York PA show I saw plenty mags for sale, from $35-40. All I could want, but just got one. I'm thinking the price will go daown.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like the GSG version of the STG44 is closer to an MP43. Being that it has the mp43 style scope mounting rail.

So since the germans knowingly or unknowingly copied that feature they might as well make a scope mount/scope combo for that rail.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I put a UTG HK style claw mount on my STG44, had to fiddle with it for quite a while to get it locked on, dont exactly know how I did it. At any rate, the Siimmons 4x scope that I put on it  has such long eye relief, coupled with the short buttstock, that I have to hang the scope on with one ring and have it hang forward of the mount. Can anyone recommend a scope with short eye relief that would work with this short buttstock and mount?

Thansk!

Joe S
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Its there a solution for these shooting in the dirt /20 feet low yet?

Not buying until..........
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not sure how that's happening.  Mine is dead accurate, and the sight adjustments are fine.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#33]
My rifle requires the windage to be set almost entirely to the left. I ordered the UTG HK claw mount and the Stanag scope from Sarco which I am very happy with. I did NOT get the Sarco  combination mount and scope, I bought the mount separately from another source, , then the scope from Sarco. Joe S
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure how that's happening.  Mine is dead accurate, and the sight adjustments are fine.

The rifle I have didn't require but one or two clicks on windage but the rear elevation is up on 7 on the leaf. Plenty of adjustment left over.
Very accurate also.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Danke
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#36]
WHOO-HOO!!!!!

The spare mags arrived!

Do not give up folks. Spare mags DO exist.

Good Grief. Y'all better go buy stock in CCI
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're importing extra mags as fast as they can be produced.  Finally have confirmation that 10 rounders will be here in Nov.  Hopefully by Jan or Feb we'll have a shorty 10 rnd as well for bench rest.

Since I use my rife as a period impression piece (I don't shoot it), it would be nice to have something to fill my mag pouches with. I guess extra mags will work, but an expensive solution to a problem, any ideas?

And what kind of price have you found on the 1000-1500 mags a month these distributors are getting?

Danke

Take the magazine. Make a mold out of rubber, cast up resin copies. Still expensive but cheaper than buying mags that are expensive and in shy supply.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Check the website for International Military Antiques. Someone makes dummy mags, IMA might have them. Joe S
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Just picked my STG-44 up today. Haven't shot it yet but on looks and feel alone this thing rates a 10. A beautiful and unique rifle.

One thing that rates a 1 is the instruction manual. For something as dangerous as a firearm you would think a little more attention to detail would be warranted.
Talk about english as a second language, it's almost laughable. It looks like GSG hired a Chinese Tech Writer to produce the manual.  A trip to the local elementary school would produce a better written product.

Fortunately I know which end of the barrel the bullets exit from.

As stated above though, I bought the rifle for it's unique looks,history and for plinking. So far, two out of three are 100%.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#40]
short mags?

Can anyone from ATI report on the status of the availability of the short magazines for the STG 44?  They would be a lot more convenient to use than the full size ones. Thanks!

Joe S
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can anyone from ATI report on the status of the availability of the short magazines for the STG 44? They would be a lot more convenient to use than the full size ones. Thanks!

We know GSG is planning on developing these for release sometime in 2013, but we do not have a date on them yet.  We'll know more once they're able to send us some samples for testing prior to production.  Its happening, we just don't know exactly when.

Have any guns with 10 round mags shipped to the distributors yet? I ordered 2 10 round mags from the ATI website.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I just had a chance to use my new extra mag, and had some trouble with it. The follower is very sticky when at the top of the mag and requires quite a bit of force to lower. Once its gets lowered about 1/2 " it works better, but still a little sticky. Had several failures to feed with the cartidge not being brought up to the top of the mag.. Anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks!

joe
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just had a chance to use my new extra mag, and had some trouble with it. The follower is very sticky when at the top of the mag and requires quite a bit of force to lower. Once its gets lowered about 1/2 " it works better, but still a little sticky. Had several failures to feed with the cartidge not being brought up to the top of the mag.. Anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks!

joe

Where did you find the extra mags?  I'd love to pick up two of them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Got my extra mags from ATI.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Holy crap!  40 bucks plus shipping?  That's robbery!  I'll buy 1 and then that's my last ATI gun.  If the mag were metal, I could see it.  Not for plastic, though.  They are gouging.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Curious... have rifles with 10 round mags arrived yet?
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Curious... have rifles with 10 round mags arrived yet?

I haven't seen one yet anywhere and I need one myself. I was able to order 2 10 round mags and they shipped today from ATI.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Holy crap!  40 bucks plus shipping?  That's robbery!  I'll buy 1 and then that's my last ATI gun.  If the mag were metal, I could see it.  Not for plastic, though.  They are gouging.

+1
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top