Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Taught by Dad:  Clear the gun whenever it comes into your control.  Also taught 4 rules before I ever heard of Col. Cooper.

Taught by Army:

1. Remove magazine.
2. Lock action open.
3. Look to see if chamber is empty.
4. Feel to ENSURE chamber is empty.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see how you guys can get an AD, I mean, I've been handling weapons since I was 6, and have had no such thing. I remove the magazine, open the bolt, put the safety on, check, then I put in the snap cap, point in safe direction and "dry" fire.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i think it happens (unfortunatly) to just about everyone.  

i think your right about that. i was going hunting with my remington 1100 one evening. i loaded it with #4 buckshot.two mistakes i made. #1 i loaded it in the house because i didnt want to get to my deer stand and scare the deer by loading a gun in the woods. and #2 i didnt make sure the safty was on. my finger must of sliped the trigger or something. when that gun went off it put a nice hole through the roof. the gun flew back about 5 feet. my mom was in the other room watching tv. i was so scared, she came out screaming "are you alright!!!!" i said yes. 2 things i learned. #1 make sure the safety is on more than i normally check it and #2 my shot gun throws a pretty tight pattern!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't see how you guys can get an AD, I mean, I've been handling weapons since I was 6, and have had no such thing. I remove the magazine, open the bolt, put the safety on, check, then I put in the snap cap, point in safe direction and "dry" fire.

And now you're 14, wow, a wopping 8 years!

newbushmaster;
Don't let these guys get you down.  ADs and guns are like dropping a motorcycle, it's eventually going to happen to everyone (even saint arrowbullet).  Alot of these jokers that are busting your balls simply haven't had it happen to them YET.  That's what all the other rules are for, they DO back each other up.  You obviously at least had good muzle control or else you'd have written "killed my grandfather today".

I haver personally had one, and most of the guys I know that are into guns have too.  Having it happen to you once will make you that much more aware of it from now on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there any reason I can't see the pictures referenced in the first post on this topic?  I'm very curious, but it just takes me to a list of albums on this site that have nothing do do with said post.

Any help?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
They (the pictures) were posted in the album a while back. Since then, GB has changed the photo album around I believe. I was not the original host, so not much I can do...: Basically, the pics displayed a few holes in a few places : )
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had a couple of "AD"s because of weapons glitches, during firing.  My M60 stopped firing in the middle of a belt, and as I set it down to find out why, it went off.  Thank God the thing was pointed in a safe direction.  Figured it is probably due to a bad recoil spring, possibly combined with a weak round. Next time I will have to remember to bring the charging handle back to hold the bolt before working on the stoppage.

I have not yet had a Negligent Discharge where I failed to check the chamber and them let one off.  But we are human and anytime you have humans interfacing with machines there will be mistakes.  If we wer all perfect we could walk on water, right?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top