Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Marlins have that stupid cross receiver safety and a stiff action and trigger.  

You are correct that the Marlin has a higher quality, all steel blued receiver, however, that receiver is subjected to such poor workmanship during manufacture that the results are many rifles are poorly fitted, stiff, cranky, problem feeding rifles being shipped.  It's also bigger, heavier, and bulkier than the Henry with a mediocre looking wood stock compared to the Henry's walnut stock.  

So how much does Henry give you for pimping those pot metal guns?

I know you are a Henry kool-aid drinker.  And how are you able to handle a 10mm if you can not handle a 39 marlin?  And since when is a heavier rifle a bad thing?  A 39 Marlin is not heavy... it is man sized, points and stays on target beautifully..  sometimes a little weight improves balance and accuracy...  ever seen a 22 target gun.. they hang weights on them!!.  You don't even realize you are carrying the Marlin.  Henry lists 5.5 pounds, Marlin 6.5. OOOoooOOOOOhhhhhHHHh must be that pot metal that makes it lighter, huh Stevie?    And if you just can't hadle that extra pound and want a shorter barrell just get a mountie.  Hell I can balance my 1897 cowboy on one finger, or sit on a targt effortlessly.  They are just a nice gun.

Marlin- Walnut stock too.  But I guess you were on a roll, huh Stevie, so what is a little lie?  All my Marlins have beautiful wood.  I did not even have to spray paint any of my Marlins!

Marlins have "buttery smooth actions" and BETTER triggers.  I don't know why you bring up prices.  There are so many USED pre-safety Marlins out there, that can be picked up for the same price of the Henry new it is no contest.  Don't even have to worry about modern QC issues under the NEW owners.  Just get the real, authentic thing that has been around forever.  Not like it is going to wear out like the Henry.  Of course, if you like being part of the disposable, throw-away society, buy the pretend lever action and paint it up like a barbie doll.  Or, get the nice used Marlin, use the heck out of it, and pass it on to your grandkids...

TO THE OP:  try to get past Stevies BS, go to the gun shop, have them get the most fancy fake gold Henry out and get a used Marlin and compare side by side.  Then the decision will be easy for you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Have all the forums turned into GD now?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 5:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The fact is that I had a Marlin 39A and I have a Henry H001.  I bought a new Marlin in the 70's (supposedly in Marlin's prime) as my first 22lr levergun.  It had your average trigger and the action was anything but smooth.  I sent it back to Marlin 2 weeks after I got it when the action jammed.  I asked them to look at the trigger.  When it came back the trigger was even heavier and the action was stiffer.  I called them on it and their customer service dept said that they'd 'rebuilt' the action and it met their specs.  I sold it off and that's the reason I didn't buy another lever 22lr until I happened upon the Henrys.

No, I don't work for Henry and if you look at my posts, you'll note that I stated that the best hands down was the Browning BL22.  I'd love to own a Field Grade II just like this but it's out of my price range:

The Henry is a decent, inexpensive 22lr with a very smooth action, great trigger, and accurate barrel.  It's customer service makes even the old Marlin's look crude.  Its not a collectable, safe queen level 'pretty boy' rifle but rather a 22lr levergun you feel fine shooting.  My Henry has something over 6,000 rds through it and it shows no signs of wear.  I recommend it to those with a budget who are most interested in actually shooting it, not just looking at it.

So BigPolska, you're perfectly entitled to have your opinions as am I.  Its clear you don't favor the Henry; nothing evil about that.  Its also clear that I don't favor the Marlin, especially the current group as the QC issues are a concern to me; nothing evil about that either.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you might have just gotten a bum Model 39, Steve.  I have one from '78 and it's a joy to use.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I also like the Marlin 1897:

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think you might have just gotten a bum Model 39, Steve.  I have one from '78 and it's a joy to use.

Yep, checked my records and it was a 39.  Nice catch.

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish the energy that went into the pissing ocntest had been put into finding a 1873 in 22LR for me (or some other model).  I don't know why, but the rimfire modern rifles don't appeal to me.  

I like the Uberti 1873 but it's not available in rimfire.  If it was, I'd already have purchased one.  

I also like the rifle in the COSteve photo but I really think $5k is too much for this purchase.  I am a shooter not a collector.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
While I was researching which one to buy, the last remaining local firearms retailer (a Turner's Outdoorsman) went out of business (relocated, they say).  Now, buying one just got that much harder.  I used to do the FFL work at Turner's.

I don't want to plunk down $4k for a lever action plinking rifle.

My wife, for whom this purchase is intended, does not like the brassy "yellow boy" rifles.

Personally, I don't care for the Henrys.  I read so many bad things about recent Marlin quality, it does not seem like a wise purchase.

I do like the Uberti's, so I'll most likely get one in 357 and load it way down.  Until I do, I will keep looking.  I'm picky, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#12]
just bought a Marlin 39 from a shooting buddy that was made in 1970 and absolutly love it.  some kind of commemorative gun, i think its called the 70th anniversary or something like that.  has brass buttplate and a couple of medallions on it and carbine-length octagon barrel.  very nice shooter to boot.  it was NIB and had never been fired.  have been looking for a carbine 39 (TDS ?) for years and havent been able to find one so was happy to pick this one up.  its a keeper....
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's the problem - you're not clear about what you really want, so no one could find a rifle for you anyway.  Plus, I linked a sale on Gunbroker to a Uberti 1873 and told you about a Uberti 1866, both chambered for .22 LR.  There were very few of the 1873's made, so if you want one you have to take advantage of the opportunity now.  Last Friday I bought a rifle I've waited over 10 years to find; I suppose I ought to post a photo since it's technically a lever operated action.

You have to understand that I have no knowledge of or experience with lever actions - it's all new to me.  It was through this thread that I was able to understand the options and winnow them down to a few possibilities.  Perhaps this public thought process is not your cup of tea.  Still, I appreciate the input.

What rifle did you buy?
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I wish the energy that went into the pissing contest had been put into finding a 1873 in 22LR for me (or some other model).  I don't know why, but the rimfire modern rifles don't appeal to me.  

I like the Uberti 1873 but it's not available in rimfire.  If it was, I'd already have purchased one.  

I also like the rifle in the COSteve photo but I really think $5k is too much for this purchase.  I am a shooter not a collector.

Here you go.  You can make a brand new Cimarron 1866 in 22lr from Taylors and Co. by ordering the parts from them HERE.  It will only cost you $1,907.04 including shipping.  Maybe they'll throw in the cost of assembling it.  

Too expensive for ya?  Then quit belly aching about other people not doing your work for you.

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL!,  more bitchin' and moaning in my thread.

$2k is a pretty stiff price for a brass "yellow boy" receiver which my wife does not want (as I said above).  Still thanks for the link.  I'll go explore and see what I can find.

If you read between the lines, you'd understand I was complaining about the pissing contest in my thread, not really asking for help.

I think this thread has served its purpose.  Perhaps the mods can lock it for me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Here ya go.  I happen to stumble upon a Cimarron Uberti 1866 Rifle in 22lr on Gun Broker.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been trying to decide between the Henry and Marlin myself.  Does anyone have an opinion of whether the regular Henry is just as smooth/reliable as the Golden Boy?

Absolutely it is.  All the Henry 22s are smooth as silk and everyone on RimFireCentral.com raves about their accuracy.  I have a Henry H001 (basic carbine) and it's become my favorite 22lr out of five 22 rifles I own.  They are inexpensive and can be customized in the true fashion of us here on ARFCOM.  Here's my highly modified basic H001.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_1083.jpg

What rear sight are you using on that Henry?  

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 4:58:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Williams FP 94/36.  It's d&t to the receiver cover.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks.  The lack of rear sight options have kept me from buying a Henry.  I'm not a big fan for drilling holes in a new gun but the price is right I guess.

Edit:  I saw your post over at Paco's.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thanks.  The lack of rear sight options have kept me from buying a Henry.  I'm not a big fan for drilling holes in a new gun but the price is right I guess.

Edit:  I saw your post over at Paco's.

If you're nervous with popping the holes in the receiver remember, its an alloy cover which is held on by 4 screws.  If you want two configurations, you can buy another cover from Henry for $50 and d&t one while leaving the other plain.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#23]
edited to delete post

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We used to raffle off a Henry GoldenBoy for our club.  For a .22 levergun, it has about the sweetest action ever!  Seriously.  I would not trust anything new coming out of Marlin right now, but if you can find an older new one or a used gun, that might work.  But the Henry's seem mint still.

I do agree with this gentlemans points (I own both a Henry and a Marlin)

Big drawback for me is factory sights. I have got the 50+ year old eyes . You pretty much get that on the Henry but on my Marlin I tossed on a Lyman tangent peep for the win. The rieciever is drilled so a scope would be possible (but I think that just wrong for a lever!)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top