Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep the shotgun by the bed loaded with buck with Brenneke slugs on the side saddle for going deep and deadly. Compare the TC of the .308 AMax of 7.5 Vs. the 12 Slug of 12"+!

Shotguns are VERY range limited compared to rifles, but in CQB a good shotgun is a Power Tool when you need to shut some one(s) down quick!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Im not expert, but in CQB I'd pick a shotgun. Why? Well for one because its easier to aim, also its quicker for me to aim.

I'd say pick what you shoot best, I dont care what type of ammo you use in your .308, if you miss or only hit someone in the arm the larger round isnt going to be too affective.

With that said I've never seen that  A-max round out of a .308 but I've seen what buckshot can do. Even in very close CQB if your buckshot doesnt spread and you make a good hit its gonna be a VERY nasty wound. And even if a .308 bullet expands it seems to me the buckshot sticking together would still be much larger then the .308.

But as mentioned I have REAL idea on that since I've never done tests.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
i read an article in a police magizine about shotguns that said an officer shot a biker at aprox. 15' w/ 00 buck in a heavy down pour of rain and none of the pellets penetrated the biker's leather jacket. the impact knocked him down and the cop arrested him but between the angle, rain and heavy jacket the pellets glanced off. i guess it ended up well because the guy lived and the cop was able to arrest him and go home instead of the hospital or morgue.  and a vietnam vet friend of mine told me him and his battle buddy were charged by a tiger in the jungle, his buddy hit it 2 times w/ his m14 & fmj ball rds. but it didn't slow it down, when it leaped at them on a dead run the 12 ga. knocked it straight down to the ground dead. needless to say he belives the 12ga. is king of knockdown power. i can't say w/ certenty his story is true as he likes to b.s. alot but he seemed sincere and thats the only war story he ever shared w/ me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd have to say the shotty probably does a bigger number on someone in a CQB environment.  

I saw a guy get hit in the chest (once) with what looked like a 12 guage at somewhere less than 6'.  The dude looked like he completely bled out (it looked like he dropped a gallon) and died before he even hit the ground.  

I also saw a training vid once where some guy tried to end it all by touching off his 12 guage under his chin, unfortunately he survived.  There was nothing left at all of his face or lower jaw, really all he had was a screaming pile of shattered bone and shredded meat on his shoulders.  It's really hard to gross me out on that kind of thing but I don't think I'll ever forget that one.

Head wounds with either a .308 or a 12 guage are pretty spectacular, but for body shots I think the shotty is a more efficient killer at close ranges.

Fearless

Fearless, when you ssay you say a guy get hit w/ a 12 guage in the chest do you mean you were there or  this was a video.  

That "training video" sounds nasty.  What kind of training purpose did that have.  Was that a mil killology course?  
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd have to say the shotty probably does a bigger number on someone in a CQB environment.  

I saw a guy get hit in the chest (once) with what looked like a 12 guage at somewhere less than 6'.  The dude looked like he completely bled out (it looked like he dropped a gallon) and died before he even hit the ground.  

I also saw a training vid once where some guy tried to end it all by touching off his 12 guage under his chin, unfortunately he survived.  There was nothing left at all of his face or lower jaw, really all he had was a screaming pile of shattered bone and shredded meat on his shoulders.  It's really hard to gross me out on that kind of thing but I don't think I'll ever forget that one.

Head wounds with either a .308 or a 12 guage are pretty spectacular, but for body shots I think the shotty is a more efficient killer at close ranges.

Fearless

Fearless, when you ssay you say a guy get hit w/ a 12 guage in the chest do you mean you were there or  this was a video.  

That "training video" sounds nasty.  What kind of training purpose did that have.  Was that a mil killology course?  

The guy getting hit was on a video that a buddy loaned me that was shot at some riot down in South America somewhere.  Yeah I know, pretty vague but I saw it a long time ago and don't really remember the specifics.

The training video was courtesy of a local EMT who brought it to work where I was a volunteer on our MERT team (Medical Emergency Response Team).  The attempted suicide was at the end of the vid, presumably to show just how bad traumatic injuries can be and still be surviveable.

Fearless
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top