Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2020 6:45:43 PM EDT
Going to be pulling the trigger on a third press....a Lee .50 bmg.  What else do I need?  I'm eyeing the Lyman trimmer.  What about case lube/chamfer/primer pocket cleaner/etc.?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything is bigger and more expensive. I used the Hornady measure as it would throw 216 grains in one throw.

Only thing I didn't have to buy new was the scale.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everything is bigger and more expensive. I used the Hornady measure as it would throw 216 grains in one throw.

Only thing I didn't have to buy new was the scale.
View Quote

I already have/use a cabelas digital scale...will that now work?
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Use plenty of lube and don’t force anything.

The Lee 50 presses are prone to breakage when resizing M2 brass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.  I've seen lube stressed in the vids showing it.  She must me TIGHT!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I already have/use a cabelas digital scale...will that now work?
View Quote

Should work fine as long as it has enough capacity and is reliable.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought and shot 100 rds of Igman ammo to get the brass and to avoid dealing with M.G. cases.

But yeah use enough lube.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Need a primer pocket uniformer such as the RCBS carbide or K&M's 50 BMG uniformer. Needs to be adjustable for depth. Have to have some method to remove the heavy military crimp on the primer pocket. Need a case mouth deburr tool. Same tools needed for regular rifle except 'bigger".
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Lee press, and bought the Lee deburring and primer combo tools, and a Lyman 50 trimmer
They work fine for no more 50 than I load.

Don't forget lots of Sizing Wax.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.

Not sure what you mean by the part in bold....?

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I load a couple of hundred rounds of 50 a year, if that. Most of my time is spent loading for PRS / NRL matches, hunting, training, etc. My M99 is just a fun gun that isn't used as often as others. If I were going to load more than that, I would look elsewhere for a press. The Lee is fine, but it isn't a high output machine.
View Quote

Oh ok, that makes sense.  With only having a couple of single-shot .50's, I can't see shooting more than a couple hundred rounds a year.  So I think the Lee should do just fine.  Just curious, what powder do you use?

I only bought a pound of the .50bmg powder (and primers) as an impulse buy years ago.  But I know I've seen other powders used.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use H50 for match rounds, and pull down powder from Pat's Reloading for Ball rounds, and API.
View Quote

This??

Seems ridiculously cheap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

What breaks?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yessir. I believe I bought a bunch of WC 860. I'm not in my gun room right now, but I can check later.
View Quote

WOW!  No clue on shipping or service, but price-wise this Pat's seems like an absolute bargain for bullets and powder!!  Not sure if $185 for 500 primers is cheap though.  I'd have to check/compare elsewhere.  

My (new) range has no restrictions on bullets so I'd probably go with API.  Even though they are the military's go-to .50 cal round, I'm guessing MK211 (Raufoss) bullets in bulk isn't a thing or I'd be backing up a truck for those!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

WOW!  No clue on shipping or service, but price-wise this Pat's seems like an absolute bargain for bullets and powder!!  Not sure if $185 for 500 primers is cheap though.  I'd have to check/compare elsewhere.  

My (new) range has no restrictions on bullets so I'd probably go with API.  Even though they are the military's go-to .50 cal round, I'm guessing MK211 (Raufoss) bullets in bulk isn't a thing or I'd be backing up a truck for those!

Thanks!
View Quote

Pat's screws you over royally with shipping.  Was charged $100 for a 30lb box of bullets.  No disclosure of shipping costs upfront.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pat's screws you over royally with shipping.  Was charged $100 for a 30lb box of bullets.  No disclosure of shipping costs upfront.
View Quote

Ok, gunbroker it is for bullets and dealer for primers/powder.

That's crazy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top