Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2022 8:48:25 PM EDT
I got a little bored with assembling 15s. Have a bunch a stuff hanging out so I decided to pick up a .458 SOCOM upper. I’m not at home so I don’t have any important details like twist or even manufacturer. I just wanted to assemble something different.

I don’t reload yet. But my issue is finding ammo. Midway can suck a dick. Pretty much won’t ship ammo to Calisitstan and doesn’t support the 2A. All of my local FFLs won’t even deal with them. My issue now is buying ammo. I know fuck all about this caliber and assembled this gun just because.

Any good advice on a ammunition source and maybe some input on shooting the caliber would be great. I know need more info on the twist, length etc. I’ll update when I get home.  but. Share your goods. Thanks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope you bought Tromix.

If not it's your funeral.

That said, SBR and Black Butterfly are the only manufacturers I'd trust to make good 458S ammo.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hope you bought Tromix.

If not it's your funeral.

That said, SBR and Black Butterfly are the only manufacturers I'd trust to make good 458S ammo.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought Starline brass and loaded from there.  Looks like you have to hunt for it
https://www.starlinebrass.com/458-socom-brass
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]
When you get home please post some specs on your upper. It'll play a role in some of the suggestions.

If you want to reload, 458 SOCOM is easy. It's worth buying factory ammo once to know what it's supposed to be like (recoil/noise surprised me at first) but if you want to make a habit of shooting and you aren't super wealthy, reloading is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.458socomforums.com/
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#7]
You're gonna have to start reloading if you don't want to spend 2 bucks a round minimum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top