Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2022 5:23:44 PM EDT
Is there a big difference between the two? My hunting buddy has a 50 so I figured it would be nice to have the same cal in case one of us forgets something. I’m also looking at the CVA accura, if anyone has experience with one?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't say what you want to do.  Shoot paper targets then the 45 per shot is cheaper.  Shoot squirrels or hogs, those are different situations.  Use balls or conicals?  For bigger game using balls the 54 is better than the 50.  Check also as state hunting laws often have minimum caliber requirements for game, for example for elk in Colorado it's 54 if using balls, but a 50 can be used if using a conical bullet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
That would help…strictly for deer hunting here in North Carolina.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would help…strictly for deer hunting here in North Carolina.
Thanks
View Quote

a .45 round ball has killed a helluva lot of deer and a .45 inline is a different beast all together but if you look at the real world issues of projectiles and everything else- go with the .50

the difference can be worth it.
there is no velocity increase of charges for the most part in BP type shooting. everything is boosted only by the increase in diameter of the projectile.

I didn't even start my son off on my .45. I put a .50 in his hands from the start as a little fella.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
.45 ball weighs around 140 grains.
.50 ball is roughly 180 grains.
.54 ball is 220 grains.

For big hogs, I use a .54 TC Renegade. None of them are going very fast so I like the balls with the largest diameter/ mass.

.50 would be fine for deer; .45 would work fine but not as much margin for error.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
.50 it is then. I appreciate the confirmation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were in your shoes right now I would be looking at the Accura MRX in 45. The 45 has a significantly faster twist rate than the 50 and should be capable of greater accuracy at longer ranges.  The NMLRA inline competition is dominated by 45’a in the 1-18/1-20 twist rate range.

If you just want to use pellets and power belt bullets to shoot deer at <100 yards the 50 is fine and you can likely find components locally.

If you decide on a CVA buy directly from them. Cvati35 code is good for 35% off and they have free shipping over $100. I have never found a retailer selling their rifles for less than you can get one from them using the code.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks @Procat i signed up for their out of stock notifications. Appears they are out of stock on most of them, but the promo code would save a lot.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with a .50. You can always reduce to .45 caliber with plastic sabots, both for jacketed pistol bullets and round balls.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are gonna go traditional start looking for a TC Pennsylvania Hunter rifle.  Has a round to octagonal 1/60 twist barrel.  Hornady makes a PA Hunter conical that shoots really good and easy loading plus the slow twist will shoot roundballs also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top