Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 11:11:43 PM EDT
Just impulse bought a Marlin 1895 22" barrel.  New manufacture.

I have yet to own this caliber, or load for it.  Will be casting myself, and powder coating.  Have done this already in other calibers, but would like some ideas on where to start for this one.

I like to load heavy and full power.  I already have a 39A, so if I want to shoot something light it won't be the .45-70.

I'm looking at 400-500gr in probably a Lee mold.

Please give me a head start to save me from wasting too much time.

From a quick look at loading data, I don't have any powder suitable for this yet.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't cast my own, but 405gr RNL on top of 59.7gr of H335 does well out of mine, but will wake you up.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Right now, I am drawing the line at BP.  I don't really care to get into that.  Good info though, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I don’t have my load data, but I’ll throw this out.   Be aware if you want to use the pointed bullet aka hornady gummy tip your brass will need to be trimmed much shorter than standard brass to get them to fit and function in a marlin.

I bought a box to try loading and was underwhelmed.  My favorite bullet is a 405 gr JSP.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of the lee molds are 0.457 diameter.  The 500gr 0.459 is too long to cycle in lever guns.  The 405gr is the only 0.459 diameter LEE mold that might cycle in a lever action.

NOE just made 0.459 diameter 500gr and 600gr molds that cycle in lever actions.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Loading for a trapdoor.  Accurate 5744 works well.  It may not achieve the velocity you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the lee molds are 0.457 diameter.  The 500gr 0.459 is too long to cycle in lever guns.  The 405gr is the only 0.459 diameter LEE mold that might cycle in a lever action.

NOE just made 0.459 diameter 500gr and 600gr molds that cycle in lever actions.
View Quote
I ordered the Lee .457-405 mold, so I'll see what size they drop.  Powder coating should add .001-.002, and I can shim the mold if needed.  Haven't ordered a sizer yet.

Should get some trials this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My Lee 405 RNFP drops bullets that are .459, perfect for my barrel. They weigh 420grs with my alloy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How deep down the rabbit hole are you willing to go.
I reload 45-70 in BP loads, and via making my own BP, and getting lead free to cast, keeps the price way, way down to under a dime a shot.
Hence in BP loads, your around 1240fps with a 70 grs of F BP behind a 400gr bullet (where 45-70 got is name from, hence 45 caliber with 70gr of black powder). The only downfall, your are shooting BP loads, to be the end off the day, the gun needs to be fully stripped down to neutralize the salts so the gun does not rust out from the inside out.

As for PC coating, will solve the problem of 2Kfps loads that will not lead the barrel/will not need a gas check, so your looking for a bullet mold that dies not use a Gas check to start with.  In lee, the 340, 405, and 450 F molds would be a good choice, since they are gas check-less bullets, and do have a Flat point so your not jumping a country mile to leade with a load COAL that will cycle through the action.

Hell, I PC coat even my BP bullets just because, but still lube the piss out of the grease grooves with Bore butter, as well as run a soaked fiber patch in Bore butter over a nitro wad under the bullet (to keep the BP packed tight) for the same reason.  Hence bore butter keeps the BP fouling soft, so your not having to scrub as much between shots to get the hard caked fouling out of the barrel so the rifle will shoot tight again. Plus with the fiber wad and nitro was under the bullet, helps to reduce the amount of powder under the bullet to tune the load in for the gun.

As for smokeless powder loads, keep the load max pressures to that for lever action rifles (28K cups max), and make sure that the data you are looking at, is for a lead bullet (not a jacketed one).   Hence Lyman cast hand book 4th edition would be a good book to buy, and will find your best loads with 3031 (420gr at 1684fps), and only gain a few hundred feet per second over that of BP loads.   Looking at the 3rd edition since I have that in PDF, You can gain some speed with 4198, but had to use filler with this powder isntead. RL-7 is also a good powder if your looking for a touch more speed, but requires a filler wad as well.

As for BP loads, since you are working with available case volume, and the BP has to be in a compact state. pretty much straight forward.
https://goexpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/cartridge-rifle.pdf
View Quote
Agreed with the powder recommendations.  I load almost exclusively 3031 in my 45-70s now.  Both for cast and jacketed bullets.    It works great for light trapdoor loads, and Ruger shoulder busting loads.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How deep down the rabbit hole are you willing to go.
I reload 45-70 in BP loads, and via making my own BP, and getting lead free to cast, keeps the price way, way down to under a dime a shot.
Hence in BP loads, your around 1240fps with a 70 grs of F BP behind a 400gr bullet (where 45-70 got is name from, hence 45 caliber with 70gr of black powder). The only downfall, your are shooting BP loads, to be the end off the day, the gun needs to be fully stripped down to neutralize the salts so the gun does not rust out from the inside out.

As for PC coating, will solve the problem of 2Kfps loads that will not lead the barrel/will not need a gas check, so your looking for a bullet mold that dies not use a Gas check to start with.  In lee, the 340, 405, and 450 F molds would be a good choice, since they are gas check-less bullets, and do have a Flat point so your not jumping a country mile to leade with a load COAL that will cycle through the action.

Hell, I PC coat even my BP bullets just because, but still lube the piss out of the grease grooves with Bore butter, as well as run a soaked fiber patch in Bore butter over a nitro wad under the bullet (to keep the BP packed tight) for the same reason.  Hence bore butter keeps the BP fouling soft, so your not having to scrub as much between shots to get the hard caked fouling out of the barrel so the rifle will shoot tight again. Plus with the fiber wad and nitro was under the bullet, helps to reduce the amount of powder under the bullet to tune the load in for the gun.

As for smokeless powder loads, keep the load max pressures to that for lever action rifles (28K cups max), and make sure that the data you are looking at, is for a lead bullet (not a jacketed one).   Hence Lyman cast hand book 4th edition would be a good book to buy, and will find your best loads with 3031 (420gr at 1684fps), and only gain a few hundred feet per second over that of BP loads.   Looking at the 3rd edition since I have that in PDF, You can gain some speed with 4198, but had to use filler with this powder isntead. RL-7 is also a good powder if your looking for a touch more speed, but requires a filler wad as well.

As for BP loads, since you are working with available case volume, and the BP has to be in a compact state. pretty much straight forward.
https://goexpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/cartridge-rifle.pdf
View Quote
Dano523, how much of that advice and your loading/firing procedure would change if you knew you were using smokeless powder?  Would you still use powder coating?  Would you still need the Bore Butter fiber patch?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Lee 405 flat nose bullet. It drops .459 and 420gr with range scape. I tumble lube and load at 1000fps with 10gr of blue dot. Shoots great out of my 16" remlin 1895.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, Dano, excellent response, as usual.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top