Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 10:14:21 AM EDT
Testing some Lehigh Defense Xtreme Cavitator (.30 Carbine) .308 85gr monolithic bullets that I loaded up.
It's actually nice to see someone putting out a new bullet for the old girl.
Definitely not a plinking round ($$$), but GTG for hunting.

Weird looking solid copper bullets, look like a square drive bit, but the results are there.

Group 1 was 14gr H110
Group 2 was 14.5gr H110
@25M

Texas gunrack:

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I wonder how that would work for self defense?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. I wonder how that would work for self defense?
View Quote

The gel tests I have seen on youtube look pretty good.

I also watched a video of a guy shooting hogs with them, but then, my Brother-in-Law has used plain FMJ .30 Carbine on hogs here for years with good results.

Mostly the testing is done with Underwood Ammo loaded with these bullets. I have never seen any Underwood .30 Carbine in the wild.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Testing some Lehigh Defense Xtreme Cavitator (.30 Carbine) .308 85gr monolithic bullets that I loaded up.
It's actually nice to see someone putting out a new bullet for the old girl.
Definitely not a plinking round ($$$), but GTG for hunting.

Weird looking solid copper bullets, look like a square drive bit, but the results are there.

https://i.postimg.cc/y6t8LJ9w/LD85gr.jpg

Group 1 was 14gr H110
Group 2 was 14.5gr H110
@25M
https://i.postimg.cc/rpg6n3Bs/LD-testloads.jpg

Texas gunrack:
https://i.postimg.cc/8zGQ4YBr/Texas_rifle_rack.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for posting this. It's so nice when folks actually shoot their guns instead of just talking about them!

I've seen these bullets but wonder how well they would penetrate given their very low weight.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting this. It's so nice when folks actually shoot their guns instead of just talking about them!

I've seen these bullets but wonder how well they would penetrate given their very low weight.
View Quote

I posted because DonFlynn mentioned he wished more people would post on range reports.

I bought my M1 Carbine in 1990, and honestly, just didn't shoot it much, due to working all the time, etc.
The times I did shoot it, I thought the barrel was shot out Accuracy was horrible.

Now that I'm retired I have time.

It was an article I found on the CMP website that explained what I needed to check for accuracy.
My recoil plate was too loose, I followed the instructions to whack it into shape and viola, it's well within spec now.

I been shooting the heck out of it.

As for these bullets, as I mentioned there are videos reviews out there showing penetration in ballistic gel.
Basically, an 85gr solid copper bullet travelling at 1950-2050fps.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I posted because DonFlynn mentioned he wished more people would post on range reports.

I bought my M1 Carbine in 1990, and honestly, just didn't shoot it much, due to working all the time, etc.
The times I did shoot it, I thought the barrel was shot out Accuracy was horrible.

It was an article I found on the CMP website that explained what I needed to check for accuracy.
My recoil plate was too loose, I followed the instructions to whack it into shape and viola, it's well within spec now.

As for these bullets, as I mentioned there are videos reviews out there showing penetration in ballistic gel.
View Quote

Glad you got your carbine shooting! Hope you get to try the bullets out on something.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As GGibbs mentioned, it nice to see people shoot these things. It's 1 thing to have a safe queen, I have a couple Carbines and would love a Service Grade Garand that fit that description. I also have "shooters" that I have every intention of shooting every chance I get ( or until I run low on ammo, which has caused me to cut back compared to past years)
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I knew someone mentioned it.

I really have no safe queens, I'm more shooter than collector
and I'm just really enjoying reloading and shooting my M1 Carbine right now.

An M1 Garand is something I always wanted but never got.
Now they have gotten really heavy and really expensive.

Of course, the M1 Carbines are out of my price range now. I bought my M1 Carbine through shotgun news for $139.95.
I still have the receipt.
In retrospect, I should have bought more than one.......

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I knew someone mentioned it.

I really have no safe queens, I'm more shooter than collector
and I'm just really enjoying reloading and shooting my M1 Carbine right now.

An M1 Garand is something I always wanted but never got.
Now they have gotten really heavy and really expensive.

Of course, the M1 Carbines are out of my price range now. I bought my M1 Carbine through shotgun news for $139.95.
I still have the receipt.
In retrospect, I should have bought more than one.......

View Quote

I had the same problem with Garands, never got around to buying one until this year. I figured better get 1 and the Expert level seemed like a good deal for what was available.

I've 2 now, both are "good enough". The only reason I bought a 2nd was I was hoping for 1 with no pitting on the receiver. No such luck but I can live with both

1st Garand

2nd Garand

If CMP got Service models in I might chance 1 for the collectors angle but I figure I'm good with what I have.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had the same problem with Garands, never got around to buying one until this year. I figured better get 1 and the Expert level seemed like a good deal for what was available.

I've 2 now, both are "good enough". The only reason I bought a 2nd was I was hoping for 1 with no pitting on the receiver. No such luck but I can live with both

1st Garand

2nd Garand

If CMP got Service models in I might chance 1 for the collectors angle but I figure I'm good with what I have.
View Quote

Sweet rifles.  I don't think the pitting would bother me one bit.

I just can't justify buying any more firearms. -my wife does.
At this point in my life, I'm just buying things for people to inherit. (Which is it's own problem)

I'm just enjoying the ones I have.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

At this point in my life, I'm just buying things for people to inherit. (Which is it's own problem)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1st Garand

2nd Garand

I figure some of my guns are going to my niece and nephew when I kick it, hence I try and buy 2 of any gun I think is important. for history's sake. I've 2 1911's, too many M1 Carbines  and a couple of Colt 6920's earmarked just for that plus all the guns I inherited from my uncle
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn nice to meet you Uncle Don !!!! ??
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Damn nice to meet you Uncle Don !!!! ??
View Quote

Just remember to bring me beer ?? when I'm in the rest home
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I figure some of my guns are going to my niece and nephew when I kick it, hence I try and buy 2 of any gun I think is important. for history's sake. I've 2 1911's, too many M1 Carbines  and a couple of Colt 6920's earmarked just for that plus all the guns I inherited from my uncle
View Quote

You are lucky if you have family interested, especially in the historical pieces.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You are lucky if you have family interested, especially in the historical pieces.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semi interested. I know they'll sell most of my stash off but will have enough sense to keep some.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Unfortunately for me, it seems most are interested in modern, flashy guns with gadgets.

their eyes seem to glaze over at the "old" rifles like an M1, Kar98k, etc. when I pull them out of the safe.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Unfortunately for me, it seems most are interested in modern, flashy guns with gadgets.

their eyes seem to glaze over at the "old" rifles like an M1, Kar98k, etc. when I pull them out of the safe.
View Quote

Basically, mine are the same but I've stressed that they need to hold onto the Carbines and Garands. I know they'll keep the 1911's and Hi Powers. The rest, I have no clue but I figure I'll be dead anyway
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Basically, mine are the same but I've stressed that they need to hold onto the Carbines and Garands. I know they'll keep the 1911's and Hi Powers. The rest, I have no clue but I figure I'll be dead anyway
View Quote

I'm sad when I think of the 1911's.

I can put a USGI 1919 Colt 1911 and a Sig Sauer Scorpion 1911 on the table and the only one that gets picked up is the Sig because it's cerakoted, has colorful grips and a rail.
the USGI looks "old"  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top