Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2021 6:12:34 PM EDT
Does anyone here have a .40 carbine (either pistol or SBR) with an 8 inch barrel?  I'm wanting to know if 180 grain rounds out of an 8 inch barrel will remain subsonic.  I've already looked at Ballisticsbytheinch.com and it shows that the velocity is right at the supersonic threshold.  I would like someone to comment who has real world experience.

Thanks,
BD
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have numbers but my own anecdotal experience with a 12.5" + suppressor doesn't have a supersonic crack as long as I use 180gr.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If the data is putting it on the threshold it might be hit and miss with different ammo unfortunately. So much of the factory loads vary quite a bit. Don't suppose there's any chance you handload as that could make it easier
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have numbers but my own anecdotal experience with a 12.5" + suppressor doesn't have a supersonic crack as long as I use 180gr.
View Quote

That's good to hear (or rather "not hear").  Can you tell me the specific ammo that you use?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If the data is putting it on the threshold it might be hit and miss with different ammo unfortunately. So much of the factory loads vary quite a bit. Don't suppose there's any chance you handload as that could make it easier
View Quote

No, I don't handload.  The ammo that I have now is Federal HST 180 gr. and Winchester FMJ LE training ammo, also 180 gr.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I run an 8" CMMG RDB suppressed and full auto.  I reload and at the max charge and still subsonic for me....but I'm also in FL.  So what may be subsonic for me may not be for you depending on your altitude, temperature etc...
http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=854
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's good to hear (or rather "not hear").  Can you tell me the specific ammo that you use?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any/all 180gr FMJ.
Eta: the 155s/165s definitely crack
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  Now, I need to find someone who wants to swap their 8 inch Banshee upper for my 5 inch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#8]
8.9 in barrel here, 180gr is subsonic.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
8.9 in barrel here, 180gr is subsonic.
https://i.imgur.com/AJE0yR2.jpeg

View Quote

That’s cool!  What are the details of your SBR?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm sure it depends somewhat on the load and on your particular barrel.  But in general, most all 180s should still remain subsonic.

I don't think I have any 180 gr. factory ammo.  I've got very little factory ammo in that caliber in general.  It's super easy to load for, and brass has been free for the taking for years.  

But just to give you a data point, I brought some of my USPSA Limited gun loads out with a selection of guns.  This uses a Rem 180 FMJ with 5.0 gr. of Viht N320.  Velocity over the chrono today was:

Glock 27: 922 fps.
HK USP: 946 fps.
Uzi SMG - 10.2" barrel: 953 fps.

Maybe that wasn't the best load for this comparison, as N320 is a fairly fast-burning powder.  A slower powder may pick up more velocity in a longer barrel.  Even so, you should be in pretty good shape.
View Quote

Awesome!  Thank you for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top