Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2017 1:42:17 AM EDT
Is the Rossi M92 .357 discontinued? They seem to have dried up and it's not listed on their web site.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard the factory was in the process of retooling so hasn't made them for a while.  I bought one about a year ago and they were hard to find then.  The distributor supply seems to have dried up many months ago but you can still find them on gun broker.   Or just wait a few months and they will probably be available again.  I'm still waiting on approval to convert mine to a SBR, 10 months and counting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I want one bad too.  I'm not shelling out Marlin JM 357 cash so I'll wait a year or more and pick one up for around $500 when they start making them again.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I will just wait.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I will just wait.
View Quote
I've got 2ea 357mag levers I got new in the box in 2009 and they have been great.  A 20" carbine and 24" casehardened rifle.  Worth the wait.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a Hartford 1892 in .357 Magnum.  I believe it is made by Rossi.  It is very accurate for a lever action rifle and fun to shoot.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/SPORTING-RIFLE-BLUED-FRAME-OCTAGONAL-BLUED-BARREL-210p1112.htm
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one year and half ago. I had to special order it, $550. EVERYONE loves it at the range when I take it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
And apparently Marlin is no longer making the 1894 in .357 either? For some reason I have a hankering for a lever gun, and a Marlin 1894 in particular, but it looks like unless I want to shell out stupid money, I'll be getting one in .44mag instead.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And apparently Marlin is no longer making the 1894 in .357 either? For some reason I have a hankering for a lever gun, and a Marlin 1894 in particular, but it looks like unless I want to shell out stupid money, I'll be getting one in .44mag instead.
View Quote
I was pretty close to getting a Marlin 44 1894 but I did some research and based on the majority of the reviews I read I opted to pass.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was pretty close to getting a Marlin 44 1894 but I did some research and based on the majority of the reviews I read I opted to pass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any particular reason? I'm partial to the Marlin due to being drilled & tapped for a scope and ease of assembly/disassembly. Admittedly, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to lever guns.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad I found some people to commiserate with. I've really been wanting a Rossi 16inch 357 for a while but can't find one anywhere. I called Rossi customer service and they weren't helpful. They aren't discontinued but they are back ordered. The lady I spoke with could not give me any eta for more going to their distributors.

Now that Marlin isn't making 357s anymore they're the only sub $1000 levergun option in that caliber with a side loading gate. If they got their shit together they could probably sell quite a lot of them right now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any particular reason? I'm partial to the Marlin due to being drilled & tapped for a scope and ease of assembly/disassembly. Admittedly, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to lever guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read every review I could get my hands on and the consensus I reached is that after Remington bought our Marlin their lever gun quality went to shit.  If you can find a JM proof maked Marlin chances are it will be amazing.  The Remington guns tend to have a disproportionate number of defects including poorly timed barrels, rough actions that bind up often requiring tools to take them down to extract shells and general poor accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I read every review I could get my hands on and the consensus I reached is that after Remington bought our Marlin their lever gun quality went to shit.  If you can find a JM proof maked Marlin chances are it will be amazing.  The Remington guns tend to have a disproportionate number of defects including poorly timed barrels, rough actions that bind up often requiring tools to take them down to extract shells and general poor accuracy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
10-4, I keep forgetting that Marlin is part of Freedom Group
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a 24" Rossi 92 rifle off the rack and special ordered another 20" Rossi 92 rifle in a case hardened finish just before the big drought.

With a little tuning on the internals both are very slick operating and with the Marbles Standard Tang rear sight and a Lyman 17AHB globe front sight, both are 2 MOA capable at 100 yards.

Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was the case about 2 years ago.

The guns put out in 2017 are good quality.

The haters are just sour grapes with highly unrealistic expectations with gross bias and a nostalgia for JM's that never really existed.

Go look at one yourself. I bet dollars to donuts you'll be pleased with what you see.

If Marlin ever puts out another .357, they won't be able to keep them in stock for 5 years or more due to high volume of sales.

It'll crash the rest of the .357 market.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#16]
While I have 2 Rossi 357mags myself, I was curious as to why Rossi's web page only showed R92s in 45 colt and also why 357mags are as scarce as hens teeth.  So, this morning I called Rossi CS and found out the following.

1. As Kingstrider heard, Rossi said that they moved to a new Brazilian manufacturing plant this year which dramatically slowed / stopped production.  Their CS department has been advised that shipments of their R92 rifles in 357mag, 44mag, and 45colt from the new manufacturing plant should commence late this year or 1st of 2018.
  2. Further, they stated that Rossi has no plans to discontinue their current calibers and that once production is fully underway in the new facility, adequate stocks should be available to cover demand.
  3. AS to their website only showing R92s in 45 colt, Rossi is also redoing their R92 website to update both the models and versions they will carry and give it a newer look and feel.  That means that the current website is more of a placeholder rather than an indication of the calibers they are producing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
While I have 2 Rossi 357mags myself, I was curious as to why Rossi's web page only showed R92s in 45 colt and also why 357mags are as scarce as hens teeth.  So, this morning I called Rossi CS and found out the following.

1. As Kingstrider heard, Rossi said that they moved to a new Brazilian manufacturing plant this year which dramatically slowed / stopped production.  Their CS department has been advised that shipments of their R92 rifles in 357mag, 44mag, and 45colt from the new manufacturing plant should commence late this year or 1st of 2018.
  2. Further, they stated that Rossi has no plans to discontinue their current calibers and that once production is fully underway in the new facility, adequate stocks should be available to cover demand.
  3. AS to their website only showing R92s in 45 colt, Rossi is also redoing their R92 website to update both the models and versions they will carry and give it a newer look and feel.  That means that the current website is more of a placeholder rather than an indication of the calibers they are producing.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw one at the Dallas Market Hall gun show this weekend for $499.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I really like mine  ( 16"  357)

Been thinking about getting another in 44mag

Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, as long as we're sharing pictures.  Here's my two 357mag Rossis.  I've slicked up the action and trigger on both with Steve's DvD and parts and added Marbles sights to the carbine, and Marbles tang and folding rear (not shown) sights plus a Lyman globe sight on my rifle for shooting steel out at 300yds.  Both are smooth, accurate, and more fun that a barrel of monkeys.

Link Posted: 12/6/2017 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you do anything to the shell stop to make it more reliable COSteve?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Good news about the Rossis. I want to get an inexpensive pistol caliber lever gun to take with me in the camper trailer I bought. Marlin's 1894C in .45LC would have the lead and I don't think I'd mind that cartridge much. I don't HAVE anything in that cartridge already... but it would give me an excuse to buy a Schofield repro to use the same ammo.

On the other hand... I love .357 Mag and out of a rifle, it's tits. It baffles me that Marlin isn't making them in .357, as it seems that is the most in-demand caliber. Good thing is I won't be purchasing soon, probably summer time next year. I'll have to keep in mind the Rossi rifles and maybe pick one up in .357 when they are available!
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did you do anything to the shell stop to make it more reliable COSteve?
View Quote
Yes, Steve's DvD gives you step by step information on not only slicking up and lightening up the action, but he also has pointers for inspecting and dealing with any issues with the shell stop, lightening the trigger weight, magazine capacity increase, and the loading gate spring lightening.  His Rossi Action Kit at $58 including the DvD is worth every penny.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes, Steve's DvD gives you step by step information on not only slicking up and lightening up the action, but he also has pointers for inspecting and dealing with any issues with the shell stop, lightening the trigger weight, magazine capacity increase, and the loading gate spring lightening.  His Rossi Action Kit at $58 including the DvD is worth every penny.
View Quote
Who's Steve?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Who's Steve?
View Quote
Steve Young =   http://stevesgunz.com/
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Steve Young =   http://stevesgunz.com/
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Any word when they are supposed to start showing up again?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I called Rossi's CS dept yesterday again asking for updates and was told that the plant has started production and that they (Braztech, the US distributor) expects the 1st shipments from Brazil "any day now."  Then, they plan to start sending them out to the distributors who have outstanding orders.  It's a matter of filling the pipeline and that takes a bit of time.  As to the calibers offered, she said they expect 357mag, 44mag, and 45 Colt offerings in the same configurations as before but haven't been told how many of which kind will be in the initial shipments.

I also asked about their website which only shows the 45 Colts and she restated what the last CS person told me previously, that they are redoing their website completely and it should be finished later in the spring or summer (Why so long?).  So, the current website is not being updated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Did anyone else read the story in the recent American Rifleman about Marlin rifles.  They say in the article that when the machines were moved from the old Marlin plant to the new Remington line, there were NO DETAILED TECHNICAL DRAWINGS to go with them.  The article says that Remington basically had to start from scratch with new drawings and technical details when starting up the line, but now have them in place and are now using fully modernized manufacturing.  IF the article is correct, that explains a lot about the "Remlin" quality problems and hopefully means that current production is good to go.  I know my 2016 Marlin 45-70 and 2017 30-30 both seem to be good to go.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#32]
IMHO, it's just excuses.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
IMHO, it's just excuses.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
I agree.  Come on, Remington had at least some clue on how to make rifles themselves before they acquired Marlin.  To imply that they got a pile of parts and equipment with no idea of what they had, what to do with them, or whatever is ridiculous.  Common business sense would compel them to inspect the factories they were buying before they bought them and ensure that they could function under new ownership.

More likely, Remington didn't want to use the Marlin production documents because they didn't fit into Remington's system so they had to re-make them.  In any case, the new Remlin company screwed the pooch producing leverguns for years.  The jury is still out on whether they've finally gotten their collective shit together yet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IMHO, it's just excuses.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
This is indisputable.  A manufacturer is 100% responsible for the product they ship.  100%
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Was just talking about these today again. Really hope they start showing up and in decent shape. Also hope this Remington deal won’t effect them.

Quoted:
I called Rossi's CS dept yesterday again asking for updates and was told that the plant has started production and that they (Braztech, the US distributor) expects the 1st shipments from Brazil "any day now."  Then, they plan to start sending them out to the distributors who have outstanding orders.  It's a matter of filling the pipeline and that takes a bit of time.  As to the calibers offered, she said they expect 357mag, 44mag, and 45 Colt offerings in the same configurations as before but haven't been told how many of which kind will be in the initial shipments.

I also asked about their website which only shows the 45 Colts and she restated what the last CS person told me previously, that they are redoing their website completely and it should be finished later in the spring or summer (Why so long?).  So, the current website is not being updated.
View Quote
If you click on the individual guns I think it still lists the other calibers. Seemed like a crappy website problem. Glad to hear they’re redoing it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been wanting one for a couple years now in the 20" model but haven't seen one anywhere.  I have been waiting for them to come back into the fold.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been wanting one for a couple years now in the 20" model but haven't seen one anywhere.  I have been waiting for them to come back into the fold.
View Quote
I'm waiting as well for a 16.  At this point it is a race between Rossi and marlin, who will hit the shelves first.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I looked at Rossi's website and while all the 92s are listed as 45 Colt when you click on each model it says also available in 38/357, 44 magnum, 44-40, and 454 Casull.

Maybe the other calibers are on the way back into stores.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I looked at Rossi's website and while all the 92s are listed as 45 Colt when you click on each model it says also available in 38/357, 44 magnum, 44-40, and 454 Casull.

Maybe the other calibers are on the way back into stores.
View Quote
Do want.

I already load .44-40 for an 1873 and an 1860 Henry.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#40]
How hard is it to get a replacement buttstock from Rossi?
Want to SBR a Ranch Hand.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ppppp_desktop_rossi_ranch_hand_tfb-tm-tfb.jpg
View Quote
I'd imagine that it just uses a standard Winchester 92 stock.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ppppp_desktop_rossi_ranch_hand_tfb-tm-tfb.jpg
View Quote
I dont know about getting replacements from Rossi, but there are several places that sell Rossi replacement wood. In some cases walnut (better looking than factory) like Boyds Rossi Stock.. My understanding is that they are NOT the same as a Winchester 92, similar not the same.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Love my JM Marlin 1884 CSS.

Buddy has a Rossi M92 Stainless. I want one of those too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
If your Rossi is a Braztech, call Rossi Customer Service at 305-474-0401 and be ready with your s/n for parts.  They'll sell you a buttstock that will fit it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Well they are hitting the dealers now. I just picked up a Rossi 357 Blued 16" 92 this morning. Will try to test fire it this weekend and then off to Morgan to do his magic.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well they are hitting the dealers now. I just picked up a Rossi 357 Blued 16" 92 this morning. Will try to test fire it this weekend and then off to Morgan to do his magic.
View Quote
Did you get it from a dealer in La.?  I sure would like to handle one in .44 mag.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Seriously, some additional info please..? there is nothing available online...
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#48]
This dealer has a small backyard shop. Friend of mine. He was on backorder with Lipsey's. They called last week and said they had what he was on backorder for which was my rifle. He asked if he could get any more and they said no that all were sold on backorders. About 60 rifles were gone in 1 1/2 days.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That was the case about 2 years ago.

The guns put out in 2017 are good quality.

The haters are just sour grapes with highly unrealistic expectations with gross bias and a nostalgia for JM's that never really existed.

Go look at one yourself. I bet dollars to donuts you'll be pleased with what you see.

If Marlin ever puts out another .357, they won't be able to keep them in stock for 5 years or more due to high volume of sales.

It'll crash the rest of the .357 market.
View Quote
My best friend had a Remlin 1895 SBL that had to be sent back for poor craftsmanship THREE times.

Bought last year.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This dealer has a small backyard shop. Friend of mine. He was on backorder with Lipsey's. They called last week and said they had what he was on backorder for which was my rifle. He asked if he could get any more and they said no that all were sold on backorders. About 60 rifles were gone in 1 1/2 days.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top