Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2018 8:54:01 PM EDT
I am trying to continue on the build of a can for .308.  I bought a SDTA 7.5" D cell carbon steel tube about 2 years ago, I got freeze plugs but I looked at them and said nope not long term solution, so I bought a round of 1.375" 17-4Annealed SS, to machine K-Baffles.

FF to today I faced it on my lathe, its not hard to turn the bar but I don't possess the indexible part off tool or left hand/diamond shaped cutter to form the cone profile and I don't have a boring bar that is capable.  I have a CNMG RH indexible that will profile. I'm not willing to dish out a few hundred for the tools to profile for this one time.  I have drills to do the centers though.

Another thing is, Blast chamber. I just can't remember what all is entailed in a blast chamber what is a durable material for it? What is better? A muzzle brake or flash suppressor for attachment? I was going to thread it directly to the barrel but a year or so ago I read some place about errosion at the muzzle.

This will be mounted on an AR15 & AR10 and a Ruger Predator in .308.  I might make another one dedicated to 5.56 but that will be down the road a ways though, unless the tards in our gov intend to adjust the NFA tax stamp price, I'll file a bunch PDQ.

I haven't had time to work on anything of mine this was something I filled out the F1 for back in 2015, so when my Dad retired he and I could finally enjoy something out of the normal. He never got to retire & enjoy it before he passed away. Now its only me, I have run low on funds to buy expensive indexible tooling that I will use only once, basically if I don't already own it I will not be buying it unless I get a job that calls for it and I am getting paid. I could probably get by with cobalt tool bits but I would rather just punch the centers out of already partially made baffles.

https://solventtrapcups.com/  Has K baffles to fit in a D cell but I know there are certain grades of SS that are better for shooting applications.
303 SS is not 17-4.

I have Titanium spacer material. At one point I only considered K-Baffles. I have looked at zmachineworx for the last month wondering what now? So at this point I don't know what to get or do.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You really don't want k baffles for s 308 or 556.. if you can turn some 60° cones that is you best course of action. I would reccomend staying away from aluminum cones also.

ZmachineworX makes some great cones, Another good supplier is Totality industries. You can find him at form1suppressor.boards.net. along with other vendors.  His Web address is
http://www.totalityindustries.com/ and he does have 17-4 annealed cones as does Diversified machine. You will get top.quality from all 3.

Titanium spacer material will be fine. For a blast chamber spacer and spacer material for all the cones.

I recommend using .the griffin armament paladin taper mount brake. This brake also provides a sacrificial baffle so your BB will last longer.

To get the best performance you will also want to clip your cones with the DHC and use a progressive bore. Good luck and enjoy your journey.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Son and I each built suppressors using SDTA D cell tubes.  With end caps, it just over 8 inches long.  Used ZmachineworkX cones (excellent quality) 8 cones in each can. Son's cones are all titanium, my first cone is stainless and the rest are Ti. Use the Griffin mount system with the idea that it will act as a blast baffle.  Cones have the double hybrid clips on them. From personal experience it does make the cans quieter than just a straight hole drilled cone.  Went with Ti cones to save a little weight. My can is less than 1 oz over 1 lb in weight.

I am using mine on my 300 Blackout (8.5 inch bbl), have run it on 223/556 ARs and will be used on a 6.5 Creedmore also.  Son uses his on a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 with no issues and it is very effective.Not scientific, just how it sounds, this can on a AR is as quiet as the AAC M4-2000 he uses.

I had thought about making cones as I have a metal lathe. Found ZmachineworkX cones and decided it just wasn't worth the time to try to save a little money. And this coming from a guy who is cheap and makes his own Griffin type muzzle breaks/suppressor mounts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Griffin mounts are popular, long waiting list for the taper mount brake that looks like this one.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/Taper-Mount-Paladin-Brake-p/tmpb5824.htm

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/755885285
https://www.griffinarmament.com/product-p/tmhc91228.htm
Does it matter which taper mount or is it personal preference?

Minimalist is easily available.
Does it matter which one?

1.500" x 20 TPI is OOS in a lot of places  at least for the end cap for the griffin mount.  Discouraging.  Guess I am making that part.
I looked at SDTA they have a Ti mount for the Griffin brake is it a good idea to mate to a carbon steel tube? I have no experience with Titanium.

Zmachineworx it will be.   Did you get 1.347 or 1.355 and turn them down a few thou to make them fit.  My assumption is you want a snug fit and not a loose fit?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
How undersized your baffles need to be depends on the uniformity of the inside of the tube.  5-8 thou undersized generally works. It's a pain to fixture a turned cone in a lathe and turn down so measure your tube with an inside micrometer or measure your existing spacer material and judge relative to its goodness of fit.  Then order one cone to test fit.  Lots of people use a 17-4 blast baffle and then titanium for weight savings.  I agree with the advice given by others. Zmachineworks, Diversified, and Totality Ind. all make quality items so sizing is your big concern.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Never thought about that Tube ID spec. Ordered 1 of each from zmachine

ETA: Alright got that one figure out, got enough cones to do what i want, and the adapter for a griffin brake. Ordering the mount tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top