Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2021 9:49:47 AM EDT
Trying to decide on the barrel length for my next .308 rifle. Either 16.5” threaded for a flash hider or liner compensator, OR a standard 18” barrel.

Both would be almost identical in length when you factor in the muzzle attachment on the 16.5” bbl but would the longer 18” bare barrel reduce flash/blast as much as the 16.5” with hider or comp?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Not in the slightest. The 16 with flash hider will be much less concussive and have negligible flash in comparison.

Since 308 struggles for velocity to begin with, I suggest the 18” and flash hider. Compared to some linear comps, the weights may be very close between that and the 16”+LC.

If you’re going to suppress it later, watch for barrel length restrictions, but I’d probably want the 16” in that case for the handling.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
14-16” is good for 308. If you need better external ballistics I would get a 6.5 anyway.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#4]
As said before, 16 is G2G but 18 will give you complete powder burn and less blast. There is no real advantage in velocity going 18, I would decide what you value the most. Compactness or less blast? If you are not going to be running a can I would go 18 but that's me. BTW I have both and use them in different applications....
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I went with 16.  Then changed to 18.  I am happy with the 18.  

I had a can adapter for an HVT on both.  No reason not to.

This also changed the gas system length, which should probably be more of what you are considering than barrel length.

My 16 was over gassed and blew primers,  and caused all of the symptoms of what you would think were over pressure.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with 16.  Then changed to 18.  I am happy with the 18.  

I had a can adapter for an HVT on both.  No reason not to.

This also changed the gas system length, which should probably be more of what you are considering than barrel length.  

My 16 was over gassed and blew primers,  and caused all of the symptoms of what you would think were over pressure.

https://i.imgur.com/lpVeodq.jpg
View Quote

How does the gas system cause primers to pop?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Opening too early.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top