Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2020 9:16:27 PM EDT
Has anyone used both?  I'm leaning towards the .25 as I see myself mostly using the rifle for pest control. But I've read 22 is quieter and cheaper to shoot.  I'm not really sure how much target or recreationally geared shooting I'll be doing with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#1]
For simple pest control, if you are keeping the energy level and noise low, it is hard to argue that a 22 isn't enough.

There are always trade offs, and if you understand why 25 is around, then I don't need to repeat it all here.

The larger calibers do use up more lead and air ($$$), but I always say... life can be short, get both.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Up until recently I have not had a .22 as I felt that the .177 and .25 bridged well enough that all my purposes were satisfied with the two calibers.  

The only reason I went to the .22 recently is that with the JSB Monster redesign, my FX Dreamline should shoot a bit more efficiently than with the 25.4 grain JSB Kings I was using. I got a .22 smooth twist X barrel for it.   Both pellets are about the same weight, but with the smaller caliber the ballistic coefficient should be a bit better for shooting benchrest at 75 and 100 yards. I am also experimenting with shooting the NRL 22 game with it as well.

If you intend to perhaps shoot a bit larger game like marmots the .25 will suit you better in the long run.  Ted Biers from Ted's Holdover page has commented in the past that the .25 does much better on marginally placed shots on even smaller critters like ground squirrels.

Though the .25 is a little bit louder, my Armada is still quite quiet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I'm going to try to find someone local to me that has either one so I can judge how loud it is.   I just believe the .25 brings more killing power to the table.

Get both:25

If I could swing it I would - maybe a M'Rod pistol (.22) and a Armada in 25
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Been shooting a borrowed .22 Marauder and I'm very pleased with it so far.  Quiet, good trigger, accurate and zaps rats dead.  Haven't tried it on anything else.  Having fun getting some backyard trigger time in.  A really cool rifle.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both. 25 hits harder but the 22 is a bit faster and has a flatter trajectory. I find that I use the 22 more than the 25. Can't go wrong with either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top