Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2023 6:26:35 PM EDT
Today I took my son to the lgs to look at .22. Personally I wanted to look at a ruger .22 or savage  bolt, but they didn’t have youth stocks. Got a little pressure the mp15-22. Fit my son well enough and bought it. Here my question, I always felt like a kid should learn like I did on a .22 bolt or maybe a 10-22. Am I living in the past and a mp15-22 is the way or should I still look for a bolt to start with?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolt makes the kid slow down a bit, take their time and (hopefully) focus on the fundamentals. I learned on a Marlin 60, but I was only allowed to load 5 at a time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bolt makes the kid slow down a bit, take their time and (hopefully) focus on the fundamentals. I learned on a Marlin 60, but I was only allowed to load 5 at a time.
View Quote

This was my thought, ended up letting myself get pushed over to the MP15-22 when I was thinking of sticking with a bolt. Can’t really go back on it now since he is so excited and wants to go shooting with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one and love it. Just let him load five at a time or he will burn through a lot of ammo fast.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd recommend a CZ 457 Scout. Learn the basics on iron sights with a bolt gun first. As he grows, there are no end to the stocks, as well as upgrades you can add to the gun. Could be a forever rifle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Just single load the gun to force him to take his time. Plus he'll get plenty of practice in reloading.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking about an Anschutz for my kids. I need to do some more research.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My original .22LR was a Marlin 100.

I got my kid a Ruger 10/22, which seems futuristic
compared to that old Marlin.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are worried about that have him single load it most of the time. If the controls are the same as a AR15 then he is a step ahead for using a full sized! Don't make him single load all the time you want to hook him, to do that you have to make it fun.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd recommend a CZ 457 Scout. Learn the basics on iron sights with a bolt gun first. As he grows, there are no end to the stocks, as well as upgrades you can add to the gun. Could be a forever rifle.
View Quote

THIS  fundamentals are best learned on a bolt gun with open sights, and as HT pointed out, you can change barrels and stocks as he grows.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#10]
depending on his age and strength, a 15-22 would allow him to get into competition shooting, like Steel Challenge,, the current champ is a teenager... then you can wear out the delivery guy with ammo purchases
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#11]
My first was a Marlin lever gun, my sons first was by 10/22 fitted with an adjustable stock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I ended up buying a few 10rd magazines when my son took an interest in my 15-22. It was easier for him to handle, especially from a bench, and slowed him down some.

I originally started him with a 457 scout.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#13]
If you can find an older Marlin 915y it is pretty much exactly what you are looking for to teach fundamentals.  Very nice weight and length for a beginner youth shooter.  Also is built better than the Crickets and other youth guns.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish people could post up were they are located...

Might be able to help you out...

Oh well

Red
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#15]
double tapped

Red
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I started with a bolt action moved to a lever action then to a Ruger 10-22.  At some point if you want them to learn to aim rather than make noise go to a single shot Henry rifle in 44 mag or .357 mag etc.  A single shot , or bolt, or lever or pump slows them down so they aim but a single shot 22 doesn’t explode 2 liter pop bottles full of water like a single shot 44 mag.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The FVSR has a really short LOP. Little kids have shot mine with no problem.

I’m a big fan of starting with a bolt action or single shot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Remington Nylon ... this is the way
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I've bought several .22lr long guns with various action types to teach my kids on.

The most requested for range trips continues to be the Henry lever action.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. I bought my son one when he turned 1. Can't wait to give it to him when he's old enough.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer to start kids out with a single shot bolt action.  Its maybe not the most fun but its a great teaching tool for several reasons.  

It will be empty after they pull the trigger.

It slows them down.

If hunting they will learn to make the first shot count.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Today I took my son to the lgs to look at .22. Personally I wanted to look at a ruger .22 or savage  bolt, but they didn’t have youth stocks. Got a little pressure the mp15-22. Fit my son well enough and bought it. Here my question, I always felt like a kid should learn like I did on a .22 bolt or maybe a 10-22. Am I living in the past and a mp15-22 is the way or should I still look for a bolt to start with?
View Quote

Grab him a Savage rascal to go with the 15-22. Use that to teach fundamentals and reward him with the 15-22 to hook him at the end of the session.  Use large reactive targets.  You want him to make hits and see them immediately.  Maybe blow up balloons.  As his skill increases make them smaller. Make it a fun challenge.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've bought several .22lr long guns with various action types to teach my kids on.

The most requested for range trips continues to be the Henry lever action.
View Quote

My father in law gave my boys Henry lever actions.

My dad gave them Ruger bearcat pistols (on their first birthdays, lol).

I gave them 10-22s when they got a little older.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Super light triggers on many of those models. I have a 64BRS & the trigger is something in the OUNCES. Just breathe on it & it fires.  

Now, a sporter model Anschutz would be a nice rifle. Shop around on Gun Broker for pricing ideas, IMO.

My .o2

Here's a single shot, nice condition, decent price.

Anschutz 64 Sporter
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like there is no going back for OP since he agreed to it and bought it.

I'd start by only loading 3-5 rounds and see how he does.  If he's not aiming and he's just spraying, stop him and make him slow down or the M&P goes in the safe and the, soon to be new, bolt gun comes out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Super light triggers on many of those models. I have a 64BRS & the trigger is something in the OUNCES. Just breathe on it & it fires.  

Now, a sporter model Anschutz would be a nice rifle. Shop around on Gun Broker for pricing ideas, IMO.

My .o2

Anschutz 64 Sporter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .o2

Anschutz 64 Sporter

Thanks for the link. That's very tempting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My .o2

Anschutz 64 Sporter
View Quote

I have an anschutz sporter in .17HMR. It’s really fun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

How old is he?

Everyone should own a 22 bolt gun and a rimfire can.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#30]
This first (Umarex Steel)

Then this
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I did the same thing, my son tried multiple .22lr guns today. We ended up with mp15-22. It was light and adjustable.  He will get older, and rifle will still be interesting.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I learned on a Marlin Model 60, I wanted a 10/22

I vote 10/22, they are easy to maintain and upgrade. Most reliable 22 on the market (with Kidd/ VQ firing pin and extractor)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top