Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2020 1:03:56 PM EDT
Was interested in new G44 til all the reviews came out, meh.

I want a .22 semi auto that will mainly shoot SV and Subsonic ammo reliably.

Was interested in Ruger SR22.

Already have a Ruger MKII , but want different design of pistol.

What brand can shoot anything ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
This is like asking for a gun that is not physics dependent.

The allowed variations in .22lr simply makes a 22 that is completely ammo agnostic an impossibility. Design a gun with light enough spring weight and reciprocating mass that it will cycle the lightest subs and it won't have enough force to reliably go into battery on many ammo types. Every design is a tradeoff.

ETA: Revolvers, Manual Repeaters & Single Shots exempt, obviously.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
My S&W 422 and my BIL's S&W SW22 eat any .22 you can put in it.

My 422 has even cycled .22 shorts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My Beretta M9-22 shoots anything i feed it. Suppressed or not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't remember the numbers, but I think some old Marlin, Remington, or Mossberg .22s exist that are able to feed and fire everything from shorts to LR; they have a vent in the side of the receiver for some reason.  Real distinctive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't remember the numbers, but I think some old Marlin, Remington, or Mossberg .22s exist that are able to feed and fire everything from shorts to LR; they have a vent in the side of the receiver for some reason.  Real distinctive.
View Quote
Ah. I shoulda specified, looking at pistols only.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, I can't say my Walther P22 ever complained about Mfr. I don't shoot it as much as my MKii, but it definitely has >10k rounds of mixed variety through it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My Beretta M9-22 shoots anything i feed it. Suppressed or not.
View Quote
Came to post this.

Also is the easiest to clean .22 ever.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is like asking for a gun that is not physics dependent.

The allowed variations in .22lr simply makes a 22 that is completely ammo agnostic an impossibility. Design a gun with light enough spring weight and reciprocating mass that it will cycle the lightest subs and it won't have enough force to reliably go into battery on many ammo types. Every design is a tradeoff.

ETA: Revolvers, Manual Repeaters & Single Shots exempt, obviously.
View Quote
Maybe a short stroke piston that bleeds off excess gas as the bolt travels back?

Are there any gas operated 22lr or are they straight blow back?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Browning buckmarks will eat anything. I've never had any issues whatsoever with any variety or subs/supers.

accurate and great trigger as well
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My beretta Jaguar ( aka model 71 like the surplus ones from Israel) and my S&W 422 are both insanely reliable pistols with both standard ( the same velocity range as so called “subsonic “ ammo) and high velocity ammo.
An absolute reality is that a good amount of commonly available.22 ammo from the domestic manufacturers is very poor quality ! I don’t buy Remington or Winchester bulk at all rarely federal which is somewhat better. The best domestic made 22 ammo is CCI by far. I also find Mexican Aguila  of better quality than federal Remington or Winchester. I also shoot a fair amount of the high quality European ammo in various brands as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
My SR22 runs about 200 rounds before it hiccups on pretty much anything with a Spectre 2.  It will go much longer with mini-mags or other higher velocity rounds..  I stocked up on subsonic 22 so I haven't ran much else recently.

It will also run longer unsuppressed. it only takes a few minutes to give it a wipe down and it is running like a top again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Walther PPQ 22 shoots anything suppressed or not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:33:01 AM EDT
[#13]
let's see... G44... substantial preliminary feed ramp starts at front of magazine, and overhead hood to help direct any high cartridge nose, long feed ramp.... extremely wide extractor...even with dual spring, the cycling with CCI Blazer is very crisp... acceptable accuracy (it's not my SW M41).... yes, it has a Gen5 trigger.... 500 rounds without cleaning so far without a bobble shooting the aforementioned Blazer.... regards

I wish any reviewers of new firearms would add their credentials.... I'm 72, with corrected astigmatism... USPSA since 1983 (A2365)... at one time earned a Limited M card with a 1911 in .45acp... 5 years Chevy Team Challenge, 4 years North Carolina Tactical 3 gun, 6 years Ft Benning 3 gun, 6 or so Area 6 multigun, Florida state, Georgia state, and Area 6 pistol matches for at least 15 years.... regards Les L747
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
let's see... G44... substantial preliminary feed ramp starts at front of magazine, and overhead hood to help direct any high cartridge nose, long feed ramp.... extremely wide extractor...even with dual spring, the cycling with CCI Blazer is very crisp... acceptable accuracy (it's not my SW M41).... yes, it has a Gen5 trigger.... 500 rounds without cleaning so far without a bobble shooting the aforementioned Blazer.... regards

I wish any reviewers of new firearms would add their credentials.... I'm 72, with corrected astigmatism... USPSA since 1983 (A2365)... at one time earned a Limited M card with a 1911 in .45acp... 5 years Chevy Team Challenge, 4 years North Carolina Tactical 3 gun, 6 years Ft Benning 3 gun, 6 or so Area 6 multigun, Florida state, Georgia state, and Area 6 pistol matches for at least 15 years.... regards Les L747
View Quote
Lol you must have missed the couple of glocks blowing up already.  I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Pitt... one G17 and one P35 high power... both with over pressure major 9 loads to try to make the old 175 power factor.. heavy bullets and 540... the P35 slightly bulged the slide, the G17 took out the slide stop with no other damage... I shot a .45 for over 25years and estimated 300,000 rounds... the G17 and G34 from 2005... probably 60,000 ... currently 9mm PCC... regards

I've seen two G17 slides crack... both at the lower front of the ejection port... most catastrophic failures I've seen have been early year .40SW loaded with Clays...
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
The rifle with the vented receiver was the Savage 6A "Gill Gun" and its variants.

The Remington 550-1 has a Williams floating chamber and will shoot .22 S, L, and LR interchangeably. I have one with a March 1948 date code that as long as it's well lubed, will function as a semiauto with CCI .22 CB Shorts. It sounds like a nail gun with those. With good .22 LR ammo it's a tack driver, too.

Mine:

Attachment Attached File

It's my favorite .22 autoloading rifle.

But OP is looking for a handgun. In that case I'd recommend a revolver.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ah. I shoulda specified, looking at pistols only.
View Quote
You might get more movement in "handgun discussions" than "10/22 and .22 cal rifles"?

For pistols only, they're all Ammo dependent, but my Ruger based designs are pretty good.  Maybe a Colt Ace with the floating chamber (never seen one in person)
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Walther PPQ 22 shoots anything suppressed or not.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#19]
My buckmark cycles almost anything besides Aguila colibri
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I see now this was a pistol only request, for which I have no answer... that sounds like a really tall order for a handgun.

I was just going to say that I have a Remington Speedmaster that runs Short, Long, and Long Rifle... in any order, mixed etc... with crazy reliability.

I will have to check out some of the pistols mentioned in this thread, as I have never seen or shot a handgun with such ammo diversity as stated above.

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Was interested in new G44 til all the reviews came out, meh.

I want a .22 semi auto that will mainly shoot SV and Subsonic ammo reliably.

Was interested in Ruger SR22.

Already have a Ruger MKII , but want different design of pistol.

What brand can shoot anything ?
View Quote
Shooting with a can on, my SR22 will cycle everything I have tried to shoot through it until it starts getting dirty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#22]
.22s (both rifles and pistols) just can be finicky.

I have a Ruger Mk.II that eats, spits & shits ANYTHING. I have another that doesn't like CCI Standard Velocity but likes everything else. Go figure

In general, I will say that a lot of guns that start out being picky will often broaden their diet after 500 to 1,000 rounds. Sometimes springs and other parts just need to wear in a little bit.

My .22 UZI plinkster would NOT reliably cycle anything but 40gr. CCI Mini-Mag when I first got it. Now, it is flawless with ANYTHING.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pitt... one G17 and one P35 high power... both with over pressure major 9 loads to try to make the old 175 power factor.. heavy bullets and 540... the P35 slightly bulged the slide, the G17 took out the slide stop with no other damage... I shot a .45 for over 25years and estimated 300,000 rounds... the G17 and G34 from 2005... probably 60,000 ... currently 9mm PCC... regards

I've seen two G17 slides crack... both at the lower front of the ejection port... most catastrophic failures I've seen have been early year .40SW loaded with Clays...
View Quote
Pretty sure he was referencing the reports of failures of the new glock .22lr G44 specifically.

I think one of them was recorded by a youtuber.

Check here
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#24]
My Taurus TX22 functions fine on all 3 SV loads I've tried.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I own six Buck Marks, they shoot everything. My Ruger MkIV's do also.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Rem speedmaster. Tube fed will cycle any .22 ammo you can drop in the tube. 22lr, 22l and 22short and will do that even with all the diff types loaded at the same time.

oops saw it was allready posted+pistol

in that case, the TX22 I bought has run everything after a short break in period
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#27]
The Taurus TX22 I bought a few weeks ago has ran everything I've put in it so far, suppressed or unsuppressed. CCI Sub-Sonic, CCI Quiet Semi-Auto, Gemtech. No issues with Federal bulk or RGBs either.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The rifle with the vented receiver was the Savage 6A "Gill Gun" and its variants.

The Remington 550-1 has a Williams floating chamber and will shoot .22 S, L, and LR interchangeably. I have one with a March 1948 date code that as long as it's well lubed, will function as a semiauto with CCI .22 CB Shorts. It sounds like a nail gun with those. With good .22 LR ammo it's a tack driver, too.

Mine:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54763/Remington_550-1_jpg-1260461.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54763/Remington_550-1_jpg-1260461.JPG

SOME Winchester 190s will run shorts nicely too. I've seen them marked S/L/LR, L/LR and LR only. The ones marked for all three cycle shorts very well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#29]
My U22 Neos from Beretta shoots everything, it likes golden bullet, but will shoot the lights out with Aguila Pistol match
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Ruger SR22 pistol here...I’ve shot 500+ rounds suppressed before cleaning it (it helps that I have 15 mags for it). It eats everything and it’s accurate.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Is it possible that he used the semiauto-quiets?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top