Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2020 2:21:46 PM EDT
Getting a semi-wild hair up my ass to get another suppressor.  Looking primarily for something for my Walther P22, but it should also be able to sit nicely on my PS90 and probably the Ruger 57 whenever I can get ahold of one and they start making threaded barrels for it.  To this end, it seems like the SiCo Sparrow and Dead Air Mask are the leading contenders.  They're both about the same size, both seem to meter about the same, and the prices are close enough after factoring in the cost of a stamp and all that BS.  Is there any reason to pick one over the other, or is there another one I should be looking at?   Thanks in advance for the input!
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
On a P22 you might want something light. EA Nyx and Q El Camino are probably the lightest that will handle FN5.7.

ETA: if AAC were a little more robust/viable in the market the Halcyon with 10x1 mm thread insert for FN57 pistols is another option in a modular rimfire can.  I wouldn’t buy one for that reason unless I found the metric insert in stock.  AAC availability has been pretty slim lately.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Mask, Oculous, Thunderbeast Takedown, EA NYX, El Camino,Erector

My Sparrow has tons of FRP and feels like a brick. I’d  go EA NYX for a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
No input on the Sparrow, but I've got a Mask and love it. Use it on a mkIV and american rimfire, its a blast to shoot and silly quiet with cci standards out of the bolt gun, and just about anything out of the mkIV.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a sparrow, and love it. Don't know about the mask.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever performs as good as the mask, but lighter.  That’s my only con about the mask, it’s a little heavy on a small pistol host, but holy cow does it sound amazing on everything.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
CGS Siren. @pacoramirez has the data to back it up
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CGS Siren. @pacoramirez has the data to back it up
View Quote
It feels weightless in my hand. Haven’t shot one though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Spectre 2
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Getting a semi-wild hair up my ass to get another suppressor.  Looking primarily for something for my Walther P22, but it should also be able to sit nicely on my PS90 and probably the Ruger 57 whenever I can get ahold of one and they start making threaded barrels for it.  To this end, it seems like the SiCo Sparrow and Dead Air Mask are the leading contenders.  They're both about the same size, both seem to meter about the same, and the prices are close enough after factoring in the cost of a stamp and all that BS.  Is there any reason to pick one over the other, or is there another one I should be looking at?   Thanks in advance for the input!
View Quote
EA Nyx or Liberty Vector
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the Mask is the best all around .22 can. It's not my favorite on rimfire pistols due to it being a little heavier than I'd like but that's a smaller dig. It sounds amazing, uses durable materials, and comes apart easy for cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like the idea of an all titanium rimfire suppressor. Just seems like the perfect strength to weight ratio for this application, not to mention giving you multiple cleaning options.

I was really considering the CGS siren a little while back, never did pull the trigger, still might. Soda blasting just seems like a lot more work than dropping the baffles in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Still my top considerations are:
1) CGS siren
2) Nyx Mod 2
3) DA mask
4) Silencerco switchback

Haven't really been able to find a clear answer as to how the Nyx sounds compared to the other three
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
EA NYX here
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Of the two you mentioned, the Mask.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Of the two you mentioned, the Mask.
View Quote
This
But I’d look hard at a Nyx
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm liking the CGS Siren. Plus it's a little more affordable on SS.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Energetic Nyx.  I’m blown away by the simplicity of a 100% titanium can, just dip the whole thing when you need to.  It sounds great and is light.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Mask
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm liking the CGS Siren. Plus it's a little more affordable on SS.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up... been waiting for Silencer Shop to carry this. Would love to see a comparison between this and the Hydra-AL.  Both look to have the same amount of baffles and since they are both Orion baffles I wonder if the only difference is the weight and length.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up... been waiting for Silencer Shop to carry this. Would love to see a comparison between this and the Hydra-AL.  Both look to have the same amount of baffles and since they are both Orion baffles I wonder if the only difference is the weight and length.
View Quote
There is a comparison video on youtube. I think suppressed nation did it. Basically the siren meters 1-2 db lower and has a better tone because of the deadened carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There is a comparison video on youtube. I think suppressed nation did it. Basically the siren meters 1-2 db lower and has a better tone because of the deadened carbon fiber.
View Quote
Pretty sure that was the Hydra SS
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Since it is a year old I wonder if the Hydra SS had the same Orion baffles at the time or if it has always had them.

Also more on topic.... I have a Sparrow and it is great on rifles but the FRP on pistols is very noticeable. For similar price points I'd go Mask, Oculus or El Camino. I've been eyeing the El Camino since it seems to be the nice middle weight and still uses stainless baffles.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Big fan of my TacSol Axiom. CS has been excellent. Vendor shorted me on the pouch and disassemble tool, they sent me a new one. Had a cap strike from my 5.7 and they replaced the cap and baffles no charge. Just ordered a Aeris.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#25]
New CGS Hydras for 2020, such as what Silencer Shop and Capitol Armory have, are all outfitted with Siren baffles. The SS model has a stainless version of the Siren baffle and also now has a PVD coated tube for better and more consistent coloring. They don't have the first round pop reducer that the Siren has.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#26]
CGS cans now at Silencer Shop........ Grr must forget I've read this lol.

I have a Mask, love it but like many have said, a bit nose heavy on the pistols especially my 22/45 lite.  I've been really tempted to add a Siren as I'd like a second rimfire can myself. Super lightweight and carbon fiber which I think just looks bad ass and fortunately what's underneath sounds bad ass as well.

If SS has the CGS line up I might pull the trigger very soon.

I hear CGS will be at Capital Armory's demo shoot at the end of the month. I'm looking foward to checking out the Siren for sure.

OP the rimfire can market is saturated with a bunch of great options right now.  It's hard to go wrong honestly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Mask is what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Love my Nyx Mod1 a lot. Planning to get a second one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the input guys.  I'll definitely check out the NYX and the CGS stuff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys.  I'll definitely check out the NYX and the CGS stuff.
View Quote
All CGS rimfire cans are OOS @ SS right now.

I might have contributed to that
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

All CGS rimfire cans are OOS @ SS right now.

I might have contributed to that
View Quote
This probably isn’t helping

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Hydra AL and Hydra SS show in stock.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think the Mask is the best all around .22 can. It's not my favorite on rimfire pistols due to it being a little heavier than I'd like but that's a smaller dig. It sounds amazing, uses durable materials, and comes apart easy for cleaning.
View Quote
+1

There are lighter and heaver cans. Shorter and longer, modular, etc., but if you consider everything that's important with a rimfire suppressor, I believe the Mask is still the best all around, do it all rimfire can on the market. If this will be your first or only rimfire can, the Mask is the way to go IMO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't know why everybody is mentioning the CGS's? The OP says he wants one to potentially use on a 5.7? The only CGS that might be 5.7 rated (and I haven't seen anything to confirm it is?) is the Hydra SS which is more expensive, longer and about the same weight as the Mask.

I don't think any aluminum baffled suppressor is 5.7 rated and even if there is one, I'd have no interest in a rimfire can with aluminum baffles regardless of how light or inexpensive it might be but maybe that's just me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't know why everybody is mentioning the CGS's? The OP says he wants one to potentially use on a 5.7? The only CGS that might be 5.7 rated (and I haven't seen anything to confirm it is?) is the Hydra SS which is more expensive, longer and about the same weight as the Mask.

I don't think any aluminum baffled suppressor is 5.7 rated and even if there is one, I'd have no interest in a rimfire can with aluminum baffles regardless of how light or inexpensive it might be but maybe that's just me.
View Quote
The Hydra SS works for 5.7x28.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I like my oculus
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

+1

There are lighter and heaver cans. Shorter and longer, modular, etc., but if you consider everything that's important with a rimfire suppressor, I believe the Mask is still the best all around, do it all rimfire can on the market. If this will be your first or only rimfire can, the Mask is the way to go IMO.
View Quote
Glad to hear this kind of feedback! Can’t wait for mine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Hydra SS works for 5.7x28.
View Quote
@SilencerShop this isn't currently shown on the site's comparison tool for the Hydra SS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I do not recommend a rimfire silencer for 5.7. The Turbo K is much better suited to 5.7.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I do not recommend a rimfire silencer for 5.7. The Turbo K is much better suited to 5.7.
Well I already have a Mask and I have a Turbo K jail so I guess I'm good either way if I ever decide to get a 5.7! lol

Quoted:
FWIW...the Gemtech SAR-57 and SFN-57 are two purpose-built silencers for the 5.7x28 round, and both are all aluminum.
Good to know but I still wouldn't want anything with aluminum baffles

Quoted:
@SilencerShop this isn't currently shown on the site's comparison tool for the Hydra SS.
That is something they (CGS) might want to mention on their own website as well? You have to pull up the manual to see what its rated for.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please listen to this advice, you will be much happier.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is that?  Is it an issue with the volume of the can or something?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.7 is not a rimfire caliber, and it has a very impressive muzzle blast.  The rimfire cans just aren't "enough" to tame it properly.

You're right, probably more the volume of the can than baffle design but whatever it is, 5.7 is still a monster with a rimfire can whereas with the Turbo K it's pleasant.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
EA NYX here
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Bought an AAC Element II when they were on sale for $230 from Capitol Armory couple years ago.  Have been very impressed with it.

Second can was DA Mask, wish I had bought another Element II.  Its nice but doesn't sound any differrent than my Element II and is heavier.  Paid almost twice for the Mask. correction, paid $315 on sale from Hansohn Brothers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bought an AAC Element II when they were on sale for $230 from Capitol Armory couple years ago.  Have been very impressed with it.

Second can was DA Mask, wish I had bought another Element II.  Its nice but doesn't sound any differrent than my Element II and is heavier.  Paid almost twice for the Mask.
View Quote
I should’ve bought one when they were that cheap. I picked one up recently at full price as stock seems to be drying up. The Mask is a great can but I’m leaving it on a .22 SBR AR and going to use the Element 2 on a Ruger 22/45 MKIV. The Mask is just a bit too nose heavy for my tastes in a rimfire pistol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top